Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

I still have 3 KT wind!! GAH!

That is all....  Anyone else?

This is on the surface....I am seeing more wind aloft...at least!

Edited by ryanbatcund

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

10 minutes ago, lopentan said:

all airports?

All the USA airports in my area I've checked quickly (KMSP, KLVN, KSGS, KSTP, KFCM)- they just say 230/4 or 225/3 both in the initial world map page and also in the G1000.  When I did climbout I started picking up more wind....METAR shows 11KT on surface...GAH!  This isn't rocket surgery.  But I guess I'll have to wait for a 3rd party Wx program.

But finally the clouds do appear correct per the forecast and METAR.  EDIT: scratch that....clouds were okay where I departed now much lower layer not even close to METAR 10 miles NE.

The altimeter is not correct though...way off....about 20 points.

Edited by ryanbatcund

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

2 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

All the USA airports in my area I've checked quickly (KMSP, KLVN, KSGS, KSTP, KFCM)- they just say 230/4 or 225/3 both in the initial world map page and also in the G1000.  When I did climbout I started picking up more wind....METAR shows 11KT on surface...GAH!  This isn't rocket surgery.  But I guess I'll have to wait for a 3rd party Wx program.

But finally the clouds do appear correct per the forecast and METAR.

The garmins are not supposed to pick up wind at the surface. I thought they fixed that with today's patch. You are getting wind, but the garmins wont pick it up until airborne. 

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

3 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

But finally the clouds do appear correct per the forecast and METAR.

ok, give me one icao and i try i can rad metar form NOAA to Pilot2atc.

Just now, Andreas Stangenes said:

The garmins are not supposed to pick up wind at the surface. I thought they fixed that with today's patch. You are getting wind, but the garmins wont pick it up until airborne. 

That is a very good information, thanks

3 minutes ago, Andreas Stangenes said:

That is possible however the World Map winds are still showing what I used to have 225/3 or 230/4 KT.  Are you sure your real weather winds are working on the surface?  Crosswind landings don't seem to have crosswinds.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

No issues here. Tried a couple of airports within the current hurricane in the south and got fairly strong gusty winds on the surface and heavy rain. Also tried a few airports in the Rocky Mountain region and got good surface winds along with winds aloft and associated bumps with that wind over the mountains. 

Did have a crab angle after liftoff so the winds were there. Also getting the correct ground speed vs TAS when aloft. Had LittleNavMap connected it showed the winds in MSFS as well.

Edited by fmrCXflyer
  • Like 1

No issues here.  

Checked wind direction and wind speed with windy.com and that was practically dead on.

Checked barometer vs my own instrument at my home, also dead on.

Checked clouds versus my own eyes outside, and again dead on.

• Like 3

I9-13900kf - rtx4090

32gb ddr5 4800mhz, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

internet - 300+ mbs / Honycomb Alpha yoke / Saitek Throttle

Dell 43” 4K 

Ok that sucks for me.  Maybe something was stuck from my alpha install....which I doubt.  

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

23 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

METAR shows

I am still downloading the update, so can't speak for my own observations yet, but aside from some people's observation that the 225/3 bug may only be partially fixed (works for first flight; next flights need sim restart), there is still the conceptual difference of MFS's "weather forecast model" approach vs. most other sims "weather observation" approach. The forecast can differ from the observation.

For my real-world VFR flying, I am using Meteoblues website forecast and find it quite accurate. It would be interesting to know which weather is shown on Meteoblue's website for your tested areas. If their website matches the METAR, but the sim is not matching the METAR, the sim is displaying something unexpected; but if the website's weather is also significantly different than the METAR, well, than it's a problem with the forecast itself (by the way, they allow to compare their own forecast with other forecasts and even give statistics about where they have been wrong and correct).

For example, for today 15:00 (3 pm), for KMSP their website shows wind coming from north-north-west at 16-30 km/h (8.6 to 16 knots). The sim weather should be somewhere in that range. If it's not, something is wrong. METAR shows 11 knots coming from north, so somewhat in the range, too.

The advantage of the forecast model is that it can give plausible weather even in regions where no METAR or any other data exist (like my home airport). The downside is that it will not always match what you expect (and I can only imagine that it may cause severe issues if using VATSIM or IVAO?)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

It's nice to see you on here Mario!  I am basing my experience with the new sim vs old FSX...where the winds and clouds were actually fairly accurate.  I see people here saying "it's working!" and it's not for me.  So I'm trying to figure out what is the issue.

You may be onto something with the reboot though.  I will also try the Europe servers I've only tried USA west and east.

No joy...tried Europe North and West....  also trying a reboot and a restart of flightsim.

Argh.

Edited by ryanbatcund

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

I fly primarily around my home state in Colorado and the west. I still found winds aloft were 3kts. I did a flight from KFNL to KASE and flying over the mountains at 14k winds were still 3kts. 

Also, local METAR in KFNL was showing low and mid level clouds, and the skies were clear in the sim. This was all after a couple different restarts to make sure things reloaded after the patching process. 

Edited by bahnzo

11 minutes ago, bahnzo said:

I fly primarily around my home state in Colorado and the west. I still found winds aloft were 3kts. I did a flight from KFNL to KASE and flying over the mountains at 14k winds were still 3kts. 

Also, local METAR in KFNL was showing low and mid level clouds, and the skies were clear in the sim. This was all after a couple different restarts to make sure things reloaded after the patching process. 

Thank you I'm not crazy.  

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |