Sign in to follow this  
Guest triangle

Leaning Ultralight Mixture

Guest triangle

HowdyIs there any way to lean the Ultralight mixture from the VC? I like taking it up to Cuzco and flying down the valley towards Machu Picchu but the altitude requires a leaner mixture. Would prefer to do it myself rather than leave it to auto-mixture.Cheers in advanceTriangle

You can't lean the mixture on the ultralight. You just got to fly lower I guess... It would surprise me if auto-mixture worked: wouldn't be very realistic...!

Can you even get the ultralights engine started at Cuzco?Probably in real life, a person would have to adjust the carburator on that ultralight, to get it to perform at high-altitude like that.I flew the ultralight around Mexico City, and it could fly--but only barely. I think Mex City is about 6-7 thousand feet ASL.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2.5 ghz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (94.47), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8, WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

To change the mixture on a two stroke motor one needs to change the carburettor needle(s) and jet(s) which cannot be done with the motor running. IIRC to ensure optimum performance the adjustments are best carried out for every 3,000 feet of altitude gain/loss.

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

This may all be true IRL, but the microlight can be leaned in FSX I believe. I have recently flown it from an airfield with a density altitude of over 6000', and getting almost no performance, I tried leaning the mixture - which got me going decently (to my surprise), so it does seem to work.On another note, the microlight can be trimmed, which might not be realistic, strictly speaking, but certainly makes it more pleasant to fly in the sim.Same as the C172, which has no rudder trim IRL, but can whose rudder can be trimmed in the sim.Odd.

The Rotax 582 and 912 don't have mixture controls. I flew a 582 Blue Head Xair yesterday from a field elevation of 4200 feet to about 7200 feet--and add another thousand feet for density altitude, and the 582 was giving us the same IAS (55KTS) up there at 5800 rpm as it did in the pattern around the airport. Here's some screenshots of the plane I flew--almost as much fun as a Trike with the partial windscreen :) http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...g_id=1727&page=-John

>I tried leaning the mixture - which got me going>decently (to my surprise), so it does seem to work.>>On another note, the microlight can be trimmed, which might>not be realistic, strictly speaking, but certainly makes it>more pleasant to fly in the sim.Pity... that shouldn't be possible imho. Or at least not possible at realism setting Hard.

Guest triangle

>Can you even get the ultralights engine started at Cuzco?>>Probably in real life, a person would have to adjust the>carburator on that ultralight, to get it to perform at>high-altitude like that.>>I flew the ultralight around Mexico City, and it could>fly--but only barely. I think Mex City is about 6-7 thousand>feet ASL.>>Rhett>Nope, and that's the problem. The auto-mixture setting lets me, though, but given Cuzco is at about 8000ft ASL the ultralight does not like it too much. Max airspeed of 30kn :-) Guess i'll have to take the Beechjet up, instead, and race my way through the valleys :-)Triangle