Sign in to follow this  
cantremember

I'm going back to FSX (a short novella)

3 hours ago, wthomas33065 said:

For me, FSX is perfectly acceptable for high altitude flight and IFR.  At 30000 to 40000 AGL, the old "mesh/landclass" combo of generating convincing out of the window views still creates an adequate suspension of disbelief.

But below 10K.  FSX starts to become a mess.  Autogen is placed willy nilly.  The generic "urban textures" don't replicate anything nearing reality,and drawing roads on top of them just causes the roads to get lost in the jumble.  Plus landclass errors are very apparent.  For example.  In Broward County Florida, there is nothing but swamp West of the Sawgrass Expressway.  This makes that area very distinctive from the air, as the expressway creates a hard border.  In FSX, the landclass doesn't follow that model.  So there's now homes where clearly there are not.  FS2020 with it's satellite based imagery (thanks to 2 Petabytes of cloud storage) doesn't have this issue.

Similarly near Sikorsky Memorial in Stratford CT (my girlfirends neighborhood), The Charles Wheeler wildlife area is completely undeveloped and is accurately depicted in FS2020.  But in FSX,  that entire area is given suburban landclass and populated with random houses and trees. 

Completely kills VFR for me.  

And while I never expected to be able to pick out my home from the air, it is certainly a nice to have.  But even if it was just a generic building, simply having the road/building layout correct does wonders,   I simply can't go back to FSX for VFR.  And if I can get a solid 24FPS in all situations with FS2020 I won't need to go back to FSX for any reason.

We're in the same neck of the woods.  i'm further south in Kendall but the swamp/Everglades are West of Chrome Avenue and definitely a hard border.  But my FSX was long ago updated with ORBX products which included landclass, textures, autogen, vector information, etc.  It improved FSX dramatically and provided much more than graphical improvements.  

But after flying with MS2020, I've been seriously considering wiping out FSX and 14 years of addons, as I don't think I'll ever be flying it again.  I'll keep it for a while but it might not last much longer.

Alexander Alonso

There are still a healthy amount of people out there still using FS9 as their main sim...

ASUS Prime Z490-A / i7-10700K / RTX 4080 / G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB / Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic case 

I won't listen to anyone slagging off FSX.

I had some great flights in it. . .PMDG NGX

(After-Landing drinks at Gatwick after falling down the stairs!)

Sleep in the Galley and then off to Alicante at 06:15. . .to beat Ryanair to it.

pmdg737800ngx-2.jpg

Don't even think of getting me started on flying VTOL off Carriers in the Harrier. . .

2017-2-21-17-12-58-476.jpg

Speed; 34 kts approaching large Aircraft Carrier. . .them were days. . .

Can't do this in MSFS . . .yet!

2017-2-21-16-59-41-470.jpg

Edited by Will Fly For Cheese
  • Like 2

If I couldnt fly in MSFS then I'm done flight simming! No possible way I could go back to crappy graphics.

Edited by NightOfDreams

Althought loving the new MSFS for cruizing around in small GA Aircraft and enjoying the exciting landscape and cities I am still using FSX for IFR flights with several excellent addon aircraft and yes, I still enjoy it very much either.

Flying IFR I do not care much about Flora and fauna and houses or POIs -the most of the time I am staring towards my Interiors in the cockpit -  so FSX is still an excellent companion and will carry on some good time.

On 9/17/2020 at 4:04 PM, FlyingInACessna said:

Get XP11 and download the Zibo 737. Also get Airport Environment HD (free texture enhancement mod).

Bingo, exactly what I did and loving every minute of it.  What a plane for $0 !!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pjs37 said:

FSX runs like a bear.  I am going back to FS2000.

Should try MSFS 2020. Early yet but works fairly well. Or FS95?

FS95 was my very first iteration I tried.  I lusted after FS98 at the time but couldn't afford a new one until FS2000 came out and I bought that (The standard edition) with its fantastic manual.

I WILL STILL post FSX screenshots**, no matter how gorgeous the FS2020 screenies look. Just giving you lot fair warning! 🍻:laugh:

** may or may not contain MD-11s, sadly not PMDG, but still workable..:tongue:

I hope everyone can see the total tongue in cheek expression in the points below as a bit of humorous banter!!

-I never cared if you were gamer or a simmer
until you started trolling me for not programming an FMC.
-I never cared what controller you used, until you started blaming my off-centreline landings because I didn't have your preferred yoke.
-I never cared about your graphical capability until you started to condemn me for mine.
-I never cared if your F-4s were different from mine, until you said my F-4s were wrong.
NOW I CARE!
My patience and tolerance are gone. As is my beer for crying into :biggrin:
I’m not alone in feeling this way, there are several of us who do......and we still fly the old stuff.:ph34r:

• Like 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)