Sign in to follow this  
Colonel X

4K (crisp cockpit-)shadows now possible!

So, when I tried this with the release version, my sim would crash within a few moments. Tried it with the latest patch, and it went through my stress test just fine. When upping the shadow maps (editing the UserCfg.opt) from 2048, the maximum possible in the UI, to 4096, shadows in the cockpit will be a lot crisper, not as fuzzy as default. The sim will even correctly show "4096" in the settings when applied (however once you change it, 4096 will no longer be available). If you have enough GPU headroom, there won't even be a performance hit.

All you have to do is find your "UserCfg.opt", and find the following lines, change it to 4096, and save the file.

{Shadows
        MaxSliceCount 4
        Size 4096
        MaxDist 10000.000000
        DLightContributionCullingThresholdS0 0.100000
        DLightContributionCullingThresholdS1 0.100000
        DLightContributionCullingThresholdS2 0.100000
        DLightContributionCullingThresholdS3 0.100000
        OmniContributionCullingThreshold 0.000000
    }

If you feel lucky, you might as well try 8192.

I am running the sim in 1080p on a 1080ti, and this is a good way to fill up the GPU, which is pretty bored when locked (RTSS) to 30FPS.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB