Sign in to follow this  
Guest Valkyrie321

Why gaming has changed

>It didn't really hit me until later tonight. The gaming>industry and the people who are customers in it has changed. I>remember in the old DOS days when any tidbit of information>was shared throughout the community. We were all geeks>together, and we cared for each other. "I have to wait a day?>Aww shucks... can't rush perfection I guess. See you tomorrow>with money in hand." These values no longer hold true anymore.>It is amazing to me that customers can become irate babies,>cussing and stomping their feet like children in a playground>that don't get their sucker, or a chance on the teeter totter.>These people are "supposed" to be adults.Yeah, that's exactly what I'am thinking, so here is just a small story I want to share and because a lot of people here aren't exactly kids anymore, maybe someone can remember similar things from the "old days"...I can remember that one single computer store back in the early 90s. Back these days, such stores were extremely rare over here (in europe), even in a big city like the one I'am talking about. Later, more and more appeared, but today, most of them are gone again.The big electronic stores didn't care much about gamers and maybe had a few mainstream titles on stock, but that was about all you could expect from them.That small store I'am talking about was owned and managed by a young couple - he was caring about all the technical stuff, she was doing her job in the store itself, caring about customers. Both were highly motivated to satisfy their (few) customers and visiting them was always a pleasure. Often, we were talking long times about gaming and computers in general, sometimes even about completely unrelated things. Other customers came in and joined the talk, the girl was serving coffee and all that really felt like a very nice community. The atmosphere was always very friendly, and I cannot remember of any event when some customer got angry, because she had to tell him "sorry, not right now - we do our best to get it on stock, but it could take another few days...". It was normal, and people were staying calm, just asking "could you please put one copy for me aside and give me a call when it finally arrives?" and things like that.I bought a lot of games there (including classics like the Wing commander series or early flight simulations like Strike Eagle or Falcon 3.0). Of course, prices were somewhat higher, because they simply couldn't afford to sell stuff with (almost) no profit - the number of copies they sold weren't exactly high. But that was ok - I never ever thought about visiting one of the big and "cold" electronic stores just to save a few % of money.Yes, they were geeks (like we all were 15 years ago, when PC gaming wasn't something you can find everywhere).Sadly, they had to close their small store in the mid 90s when they were no longer able to compete with the large electronic stores which, by then, had realized that selling PC games can be a good way to make money.When I learned they had to close, I felt sad, because I realized that a part of this hobby would vanish with them.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

In some ways I agree with you, but over the years I've endured much that is mediocrity at Microsoft so my view is slanted to what I've been exposed to -- I'm a software engineer and have used many of Microsoft's development tools (some of which I hope to never see again) over the past 20+ years. While using Microsoft's dev tools, I've spent WAY too much time doing R&D on bugs or as MS would say "by design" that has caused numerous delays in the software I produce and sell to customer. If the tools that are used to produce the software aren't solid, then coming up with solid software for customer's is defintely a challenge.As with all software, the more complex a product, the more testing it will need. Unfortunately the "testing" process has either become cost prohibitive or the profit plan does not include such an expense. This is where many of the issues live in FSX.But from the consumer's perspective:1. Supposed to be entertainment2. It cost $70 for deluxe3. Software should progress and not require "tweaking" to make it work well4. Hardware has progressed, software isn't progressing with itWith that said, I'm hoping the aces dev team do the right thing and get a patch/fix out ASAP (before the "Vista" version is released).Rob.

Interesting you say that Rob. I am enjoying FSX more than any other version of the MSFS series. Everyone is entitled to their opinion however, I just don't agree with you. I easily got my $70 worth and paid full price for the deluxe version.As for "tweaking," as I have said I have tweaked game after game to make them run well. The FS series most assuredly has been tweaked since my first attempt to take off from Chicago's airports in FS5. Part of being a computer gamer is learning how to make your computer run the programs you wish to run well... that involves tweaking. It has ALWAYS been that way as long as I can remember, and I doubt it will change in the future. The more we try to change things, the more they are exactly the same.I also don't personally think that the level of quality assurance we all want for our games can now be achieved to some extent. A program like FSX has thousands of airports, thousands of locals, roads, waterways etc. Simply put, there is ALWAYS going to be issues with a game of this magnitude, especially since the complexity of our current software compared to the older versions of the simulation series have been multiplied beyond our wildest dreams... We actually EXPECT MSFS to render small lakes and roads in remote areas where we live!I have seen game launches reach much more success than MSFS while at the same time containing many more bugs and issues which NEVER got addressed. If anyone here is familiar with Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter, you know what I mean. It doesn't mean we should allow mediocricy, but we should also understand what the overall goal of a product like we use is accomplishing. My FSX folder is 12.9 GB large... name another game outside of FS that comes close to the amount of information stored and retrieved. I can think of none.