Sign in to follow this  
jalbino59

Wondering what an RTX30 series can do with P3Dv5 DX12

I'm thinking this series has the potential to improve P3D5 immensely.  Looking forward to hearing from early adopters here.  

Edited by jalbino59

Jose A.

Core Components: AMD Ryzen7 7700X - G.Skill FlareX 32 GB DDR5 6000 CL36 (XMP)  - Gigabyte B650M Aorus Elite AX  - Asus ROG Strix RTX3060 12gb

Storage: WD Black SN750 NVMe 1TB - AData sx8200 Pro NVMe 1TB - Samsung 860 EVO 500GB - Samsung 870 EVO 1TB

WIN10 - P3D v.5.3 HF2 - XPLANE 11 - MSFS

The full stock of the 3080 was gone in a blink of an eye, and the same thing could happen to the 3090, profiteers are selling 3080`s on Ebay . 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

36 minutes ago, G-RFRY said:

The full stock of the 3080 was gone in a blink of an eye, and the same thing could happen to the 3090, profiteers are selling 3080`s on Ebay . 

I've seen that.  I hope we're not seeing the return of the "miners". 

50 minutes ago, Chapstick said:

Not enough VRAM unless you can afford the 3090.

As I understand it, a process requesting a memory allocation does not necessarily mean its going to use all of it.  Maybe I'm wrong but I would still be curious to see these cards performance on sims using DX12 and Vulcan.  

• Like 1

Jose A.

Core Components: AMD Ryzen7 7700X - G.Skill FlareX 32 GB DDR5 6000 CL36 (XMP)  - Gigabyte B650M Aorus Elite AX  - Asus ROG Strix RTX3060 12gb

Storage: WD Black SN750 NVMe 1TB - AData sx8200 Pro NVMe 1TB - Samsung 860 EVO 500GB - Samsung 870 EVO 1TB

WIN10 - P3D v.5.3 HF2 - XPLANE 11 - MSFS

19 minutes ago, jalbino59 said:

I've seen that.  I hope we're not seeing the return of the "miners". 

As I understand it, a process requesting a memory allocation does not necessarily mean its going to use all of it.  Maybe I'm wrong but I would still be curious to see these cards performance on sims using DX12 and Vulcan.  

True. But P3Dv5 produces a DXGI crash if it doesn't get what it requests from the OS. In other words LM can optimize P3Dv5 to handle VRAM better.

Zicheng Cai

Out of stock i don`t think this a miners issue, but people buy the GPU`s with no intension of using them but sell the cards that have not even shipped yet for profit as they know with the prelaunch hype some idiots will pay anything to be the first.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

45 minutes ago, G-RFRY said:

Out of stock i don`t think this a miners issue, but people buy the GPU`s with no intension of using them but sell the cards that have not even shipped yet for profit as they know with the prelaunch hype some idiots will pay anything to be the first.

Capitalism at it's worst.

• Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

6 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

Like every new Graphic card and Game console launch over the past 20 years. People shouldn't be surprised how this works by now. New hot thing comes out, gets bought and then flipped on eBay. I still remember back when PS2 were bidding over 1K on eBay the day after launch. Same thing will happen with the 3070, 3090 , Xbox Series X and PS5. That's why I usually wait for the 2nd or third shipments to go buying.

Once P3D V5.1 can handle VRAM better the 3080 will definitely be a compelling buy given the benchmarks we're seeing.

• Like 1

This card will be fine for P3d v5.

I’ve got hundreds of hours in the sim now with a 2080ti. Avoid problematic addons, and you’re not going to get DXGI crashes. I’ve had a total of one, in release week, and that was an addon with dodgy dynamic lighting.

I do not come close to using all of my VRAM, so a gig less will be OK.

It’s also unlikely that the card will do much that a 2080ti doesn’t. There’s a little bit more GPU power, but what you’ll see will be roughly similar to the current 2080Ti experience, perhaps with a couple of extra frames.

• Like 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

@OzWhiteyI only have a 1080ti and not the 2080ti.  But I know there are times (limited) where I come very close in VRAM.  A couple times I've gone thru in Miami/Chicago.  There are also times when bad weather at night can red line my GPU.  So I'm hopeful I will see a benefit going from 1080ti to 3090 in P3DV5

also I lock frames at 30.  So not going to be looking for more.  

Edited by micstatic
add line

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

17 hours ago, Chapstick said:

That's nonsense isn't it?  There are people running V5 right now on worse cards than a 2060 let alone a 3080, including me.  Can you turn all the sliders all the way to the right? Of course not, but probably not on a 3090 either. Of course the 3090 is what everyone wants but not everyone's got £1,500 to spare.

ngxu_banner.png

20 minutes ago, ailchim said:

That's nonsense isn't it?  There are people running V5 right now on worse cards than a 2060 let alone a 3080, including me.  Can you turn all the sliders all the way to the right? Of course not, but probably not on a 3090 either. Of course the 3090 is what everyone wants but not everyone's got £1,500 to spare.

I mean it's not total nonsense.  I'm personally looking forward to bring my texture resolution back to 4096 instead of 2048.  that won't be a challenge on the 3090

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

7 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

Capitalism at it's worst.

Nope, working exactly as it should.

If anyone is stupid enough to pay the inflated prices to scalpers because they couldn't wait for re-stock by Nvidia, then the scalpers deserve all of their profits.
If no-one bought from the scalpers, then they'd actually lose money.

Whether we like it or not, as people are buying at these prices, the free market has clearly found its current equilibrium point.

17 hours ago, Chapstick said:

I'm holding off for the rumoured 3080 Ti which supposedly will come with more VRAM. 3090 is too much money and tech for my needs, but the 3080 doesn't meet them either.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

2 hours ago, micstatic said:

@OzWhiteyI only have a 1080ti and not the 2080ti.  But I know there are times (limited) where I come very close in VRAM.  A couple times I've gone thru in Miami/Chicago.  There are also times when bad weather at night can red line my GPU.  So I'm hopeful I will see a benefit going from 1080ti to 3090 in P3DV5

also I lock frames at 30.  So not going to be looking for more.  

Mic, i don’t disagree with you here, but i was really responding to the odd claim made earlier that the 3080 has “not enough vram” without any qualification.

A 3090 is out of reach for many. If so, i wouldn’t want people thinking that they somehow can’t run on the much cheaper 3080. I’d anticipate very few problems and very solid perfromance.

Sure, a 3090 will be better - as a VR flier I hope to be running one one day!

• Like 2

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

10GB VRAM is a no go on my system with MaddogX and 4K so i will go for the 3090 eventually.

I am quite happy with P3dv5HF2 so looking forward to 5.1 as long as we dont have to reinstall everything again

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png