Sign in to follow this  
jalbino59

Wondering what an RTX30 series can do with P3Dv5 DX12

I'm thinking this series has the potential to improve P3D5 immensely.  Looking forward to hearing from early adopters here.  

Edited by jalbino59

Jose A.

Core Components: AMD Ryzen5 3600 @ 4.2Ghz - G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB DDR4 3600 CL16 (XMP)  - Gigabyte Aorus Elite X-570 WiFi - Asus ROG Strix RTX2060S 8gb

Storage: WD Black SN750 NVMe 500GB - AData sx8200 Pro NVMe 1TB - Samsung 860 EVO 500GB - Samsung 860 EVO 1TB

WIN10 - P3D v.4.5 HF3 - P3D v5.1 - XPLANE 11

The full stock of the 3080 was gone in a blink of an eye, and the same thing could happen to the 3090, profiteers are selling 3080`s on Ebay . 

i9 10900K\ASUS APEX MB \ MSI RTX 2080Ti GAMINGX TRIO \ M.2  Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB C Drive \ 2+1TB Samsung 850 EVO \ 2TB BarraCuba \ 32GB G.SKILL Z DDR4 3600MHZ \ Windows 10 Home\ ASUS 28" 4K monitor\ 4TB Portable Drive\P3DV5.1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

36 minutes ago, G-RFRY said:

The full stock of the 3080 was gone in a blink of an eye, and the same thing could happen to the 3090, profiteers are selling 3080`s on Ebay . 

I've seen that.  I hope we're not seeing the return of the "miners". 

50 minutes ago, Chapstick said:

Not enough VRAM unless you can afford the 3090.

As I understand it, a process requesting a memory allocation does not necessarily mean its going to use all of it.  Maybe I'm wrong but I would still be curious to see these cards performance on sims using DX12 and Vulcan.  

• Like 1

Jose A.

Core Components: AMD Ryzen5 3600 @ 4.2Ghz - G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB DDR4 3600 CL16 (XMP)  - Gigabyte Aorus Elite X-570 WiFi - Asus ROG Strix RTX2060S 8gb

Storage: WD Black SN750 NVMe 500GB - AData sx8200 Pro NVMe 1TB - Samsung 860 EVO 500GB - Samsung 860 EVO 1TB

WIN10 - P3D v.4.5 HF3 - P3D v5.1 - XPLANE 11

19 minutes ago, jalbino59 said:

I've seen that.  I hope we're not seeing the return of the "miners". 

As I understand it, a process requesting a memory allocation does not necessarily mean its going to use all of it.  Maybe I'm wrong but I would still be curious to see these cards performance on sims using DX12 and Vulcan.  

True. But P3Dv5 produces a DXGI crash if it doesn't get what it requests from the OS. In other words LM can optimize P3Dv5 to handle VRAM better.

Zicheng Cai

Out of stock i don`t think this a miners issue, but people buy the GPU`s with no intension of using them but sell the cards that have not even shipped yet for profit as they know with the prelaunch hype some idiots will pay anything to be the first.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

i9 10900K\ASUS APEX MB \ MSI RTX 2080Ti GAMINGX TRIO \ M.2  Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB C Drive \ 2+1TB Samsung 850 EVO \ 2TB BarraCuba \ 32GB G.SKILL Z DDR4 3600MHZ \ Windows 10 Home\ ASUS 28" 4K monitor\ 4TB Portable Drive\P3DV5.1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

45 minutes ago, G-RFRY said:

Out of stock i don`t think this a miners issue, but people buy the GPU`s with no intension of using them but sell the cards that have not even shipped yet for profit as they know with the prelaunch hype some idiots will pay anything to be the first.

Capitalism at it's worst.

• Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

6 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

Like every new Graphic card and Game console launch over the past 20 years. People shouldn't be surprised how this works by now. New hot thing comes out, gets bought and then flipped on eBay. I still remember back when PS2 were bidding over 1K on eBay the day after launch. Same thing will happen with the 3070, 3090 , Xbox Series X and PS5. That's why I usually wait for the 2nd or third shipments to go buying.

Once P3D V5.1 can handle VRAM better the 3080 will definitely be a compelling buy given the benchmarks we're seeing.

• Like 1

This card will be fine for P3d v5.

I’ve got hundreds of hours in the sim now with a 2080ti. Avoid problematic addons, and you’re not going to get DXGI crashes. I’ve had a total of one, in release week, and that was an addon with dodgy dynamic lighting.

I do not come close to using all of my VRAM, so a gig less will be OK.

It’s also unlikely that the card will do much that a 2080ti doesn’t. There’s a little bit more GPU power, but what you’ll see will be roughly similar to the current 2080Ti experience, perhaps with a couple of extra frames.

• Like 1

Rob

Sim rig: Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5GHz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Code, MSI 2080 Ti, GSkill DDR4 32 GB, NZXT Kraken. 

Current sims: P3D v5, MSFS, X-plane 11, Aerofly FS2 and DCS. 

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

@OzWhiteyI only have a 1080ti and not the 2080ti.  But I know there are times (limited) where I come very close in VRAM.  A couple times I've gone thru in Miami/Chicago.  There are also times when bad weather at night can red line my GPU.  So I'm hopeful I will see a benefit going from 1080ti to 3090 in P3DV5

also I lock frames at 30.  So not going to be looking for more.  

Edited by micstatic
add line

9700k | Maximus XI Hero| 32gb DDR4 3000 |EVGA FTW3 3090 | 1tb EVO Plus 970 and 500GB M2+3TB HDD | 43" Samsung X60R 4k and 2  22" monitors | Corsair RM1000x |  240MM AIO.| MFG Crosswind | T16000M Stick | Saitek Throttle Quad | Skalarki MCDU and FCU | Saitek Radio Panel

17 hours ago, Chapstick said:

That's nonsense isn't it?  There are people running V5 right now on worse cards than a 2060 let alone a 3080, including me.  Can you turn all the sliders all the way to the right? Of course not, but probably not on a 3090 either. Of course the 3090 is what everyone wants but not everyone's got £1,500 to spare.

NAX3142.png                                  ngxu_banner.png

20 minutes ago, ailchim said:

That's nonsense isn't it?  There are people running V5 right now on worse cards than a 2060 let alone a 3080, including me.  Can you turn all the sliders all the way to the right? Of course not, but probably not on a 3090 either. Of course the 3090 is what everyone wants but not everyone's got £1,500 to spare.

I mean it's not total nonsense.  I'm personally looking forward to bring my texture resolution back to 4096 instead of 2048.  that won't be a challenge on the 3090

9700k | Maximus XI Hero| 32gb DDR4 3000 |EVGA FTW3 3090 | 1tb EVO Plus 970 and 500GB M2+3TB HDD | 43" Samsung X60R 4k and 2  22" monitors | Corsair RM1000x |  240MM AIO.| MFG Crosswind | T16000M Stick | Saitek Throttle Quad | Skalarki MCDU and FCU | Saitek Radio Panel

7 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

Capitalism at it's worst.

Nope, working exactly as it should.

If anyone is stupid enough to pay the inflated prices to scalpers because they couldn't wait for re-stock by Nvidia, then the scalpers deserve all of their profits.
If no-one bought from the scalpers, then they'd actually lose money.

Whether we like it or not, as people are buying at these prices, the free market has clearly found its current equilibrium point.

17 hours ago, Chapstick said:

I'm holding off for the rumoured 3080 Ti which supposedly will come with more VRAM. 3090 is too much money and tech for my needs, but the 3080 doesn't meet them either.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ryzen 3700X 4.4GHz(PBO); ASUS GTX 1070 O8G; Gigabyte AB350 Gaming-3; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; triple monitor

P3Dv5.1 + FS Global Ultimate NG + ORBX + MSE + ActiveSky + ChasePlane + AILRP + Self Loading Cargo + WIN 10 Pro
PMDG 737NGX; QW 757 787; AS A320 A330; MJC Dash 8; A2A PA-28; Carenado A72 XL560 ; PMDG 777; FT E-Jets v2; JF C152

2 hours ago, micstatic said:

@OzWhiteyI only have a 1080ti and not the 2080ti.  But I know there are times (limited) where I come very close in VRAM.  A couple times I've gone thru in Miami/Chicago.  There are also times when bad weather at night can red line my GPU.  So I'm hopeful I will see a benefit going from 1080ti to 3090 in P3DV5

also I lock frames at 30.  So not going to be looking for more.  

Mic, i don’t disagree with you here, but i was really responding to the odd claim made earlier that the 3080 has “not enough vram” without any qualification.

A 3090 is out of reach for many. If so, i wouldn’t want people thinking that they somehow can’t run on the much cheaper 3080. I’d anticipate very few problems and very solid perfromance.

Sure, a 3090 will be better - as a VR flier I hope to be running one one day!

• Like 2

Rob

Sim rig: Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5GHz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Code, MSI 2080 Ti, GSkill DDR4 32 GB, NZXT Kraken. 

Current sims: P3D v5, MSFS, X-plane 11, Aerofly FS2 and DCS. 

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

19 hours ago, jalbino59 said:

As I understand it, a process requesting a memory allocation does not necessarily mean its going to use all of it.

This is where Steve Burke (GamersNexus) is not entirely accurate, don't get me wrong, Steve has high quality content and I enjoy his channel. 

GPU memory allocation is highly dependent on the application/game/sim and how it's coded and the graphics API used (i.e. DX11 vs. DX12).   It's false to assume that all GPU allocated memory is actually NOT being used.  Also, even when space is reserved and not entirely being used, it's MUCH faster NOT to have to manage the space ... less code runs faster (continuous allocation and release are time consuming operations) ... so another aspect of having over allocation is better performance (unless of course there isn't enough VRAM).

Here is a very good Dev Blog from nVidia: https://developer.nvidia.com/blog/introducing-low-level-gpu-virtual-memory-management/

You need a larger allocation but you can’t afford the performance and development cost of pointer-chasing through a specialized dynamic data-structure from the GPU. What you really want is to grow the allocation as you need more memory, yet maintain the contiguous address range that you always had. 

So it's false to assume memory allocation is "wasted" space, even more so when large allocations are needed ... example of view change from suburb TE South England to 180 turn to downtown TE South England ... I've seen this in MSFS, P3D, XP around Orbx TE and other OrthoXP dense areas.

I agree monitoring GPU memory "allocation" may not be 100% accurate, but I'm willing to bet it's at least 90% accurate.

Cheers, Rob.

Edited by Rob_Ainscough