Sign in to follow this  
Paul_

RTX 3080 arriving tomorrow

I've read that unfortunately with FS2020 gain is minimal compared to 2080Ti, much better with most of other games. Hope they're wrong because I'm planning un upgrade as well.

33 minutes ago, Paul_ said:

RTX3080 arriving tomorrow ..... I’ll let you all know 😀

How on earth did you get one LOL?

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero

48 minutes ago, Desaix said:

I've read that unfortunately with FS2020 gain is minimal compared to 2080Ti

And you lose 1GB of VRAM, which might not be a good idea if MSFS will eventually support DX12, since memory management in DX12 it's way more tricky so, the more VRAM you have, the less you depend on memory management done by the program which, even if it's flawless, still has some performance cost.

The 3080 might be a great update for everybody with an 8GB card, like an regular 1080, or a 2070/2080. But from a 2080Ti, not so much: you'd want to wait for the 3090, assuming you have a CPU powerful enough to really push it.

can the 2080ti run in 4K, your saying the that card would be better than the 3080 for FSMS?

Anthony Neumann

8 minutes ago, virtuali said:

And you lose 1GB of VRAM, which might not be a good idea if MSFS will eventually support DX12, since memory management in DX12 it's way more tricky so, the more VRAM you have, the less you depend on memory management done by the program which, even if it's flawless, still has some performance cost.

The 3080 might be a great update for everybody with an 8GB card, like an regular 1080, or a 2070/2080. But from a 2080Ti, not so much: you'd want to wait for the 3090, assuming you have a CPU powerful enough to really push it.

Yeah I agree, unfortunately flight simming is its own class different from gaming, or workstation type loads and I would really want more than 10gb if I were to buy a new gpu for a flightsim rig.  The 3080 20gb version is most likely coming at the end of october though, skus and leaks from aib partners have pretty much confirmed it.  Other than that the 3090 will make a  great future proof VR/flightsim GPU.

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero

The 3080 has arrived in Australia and costs no more than what I paid for my end of life 1080ti two years ago.  Very tempting only problem is the 10 gig vram - one gig less that my current card and IMHO not enough for flight sims going forward.  On the other hand I expect the 3090 to nudge 3000 AUD when it releases here and probably overkill for my needs especially as I "only" have a 8086K cpu to pair it with.

Bruceb

• Like 1

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

11 hours ago, Pilot53 said:

How on earth did you get one LOL?

11 hours ago, antney79 said:

tried at 6am PT today with no luck, you had a secret to get it???!!!!

Ahhh ... it’s who you know in this game haha ... 😉

2 hours ago, Paul_ said:

Ahhh ... it’s who you know in this game haha ... 😉

That’s life for sure!!!

Anthony Neumann

16 hours ago, Desaix said:

I've read that unfortunately with FS2020 gain is minimal compared to 2080Ti, much better with most of other games. Hope they're wrong because I'm planning un upgrade as well.

Reviews and benchmarks specifically for MSFS are showing significant improvement in 4k improvement.  A nice improvement in 1440p.  Slight if anything in 1080P.  

@Paul_ To the OP.  Do you happen to run P3DV5?  I'd like to see how it runs on that too.  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

I'm lucky, or I will be. Moving to the Channel islands. No VAT!!! Will save 130 quid. 😁👍

As I understand things, if you are running at 1080 resolution, then going from something like a 2080ti to the 30 series will see conservative improvements, but where big gains will be experienced, wiil be for those like me who run 4K or VR. I'm parting with some serious cash at the moment as a new build has been installed, and I will be laying my hands on a 3090 when available. Don't tell 'she who must be obeyed.' :wink:

• Like 1

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776