Sign in to follow this  
mjw8899

Glad I didn’t buy it

For me the patch hasn’t really changed much. My FPS seem worse though it could be the (fake) fog that I was flying through that didn’t exist out my window. At this point, the graphics don’t really wow much as just wanting functioning avionics, weather, and flight models. I might try again when VR comes out, but I am starting to regret falling for the hype. If you want to show people your house, great; if you want to learn how to operate an aircraft, look elsewhere. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, mjw8899 said:

For me the patch hasn’t really changed much. My FPS seem worse though it could be the (fake) fog that I was flying through that didn’t exist out my window. At this point, the graphics don’t really wow much as just wanting functioning avionics, weather, and flight models. I might try again when VR comes out, but I am starting to regret falling for the hype. If you want to show people your house, great; if you want to learn how to operate an aircraft, look elsewhere. 

You at least started the post correctly.

FOR ME.......

That's really all that needs to be said, you could have stopped there.  I think you are in the minority on this one.

• Like 13
  • Upvote 1

MS flight sim since FS9 has just been a platform for add-ons.

So it is with this.

If you expected something else, like hardcore avionics, you are out of the loop, brother.  Looks fine to me so far.  Waiting for the add-ons like PMDG etc

Edited by Boomer
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 2

spacer.png

I would also urge caution using VR if your PC can't handle things right now..

If you want to learn how to operate aircraft search for flight instructor! 🙂 Byeeee!

• Like 11
  • Upvote 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

Congratulations

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

26 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

If you want to learn how to operate aircraft search for flight instructor! 🙂 Byeeee!

Don't need one. I'm a RW pilot although inactive now.  What I like is authenticity in simulated flight operations, accurate flight modeling, current and real world navigation (not with an an obsolete AIRAC data base like some addons offer)  and the ability to remember actual flights taken in the past.  Sounds like MSFS isn't ready for prime time.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 4

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

James M Driskell, Maj USMC (Ret)

1 hour ago, mjw8899 said:

Right...because you can 'learn how to fly' using all those sophisticated FS9, FSX, P3D and Xplane default aircraft.  Again, as a PPL holder, I find it comical when posters try to convince others that this sim can't be used to hone your aviation skills; IMO, it's a vastly superior VFR/GA tool than ANY prior incarnation.    

I suspect you might get several 'likes' if you post this in another thread; seriously, it's becoming comical to read how terrible this sim is.  It's funny because some posters have completely glossed over the futility of default FSX/P3D/Xplane.  To that point, if you think it's difficult to hone your 'airline skills' in MSFS, you would find it impossible in other simulators. 

The beauty of MSFS comes from the fact that we have ALL our primary requirements in a single application; gone are the days of purchasing third-party application to manage third-party applications.  I no longer need a start-up batch file to launch literally 11 programs before every flight.  Indeed, we need sophisticated airliners; however, those will arrive soon.  Then what will the minority complain about?  

Edited by kingm56
  • Like 17
  • Upvote 1

Matt King

Whilst it's true that other flight sims such as XPlane, FSX and P3D will currently allow you to do more realistic flights in terms of avionics, ATC and weather to some extent, that's pretty much entirely because of add-ons, but even then there are some aspects which the default MSFS can beat. Nevertheless, add-ons for flight sims have always taken time to show up, often several years. Recall that we were waiting almost seven years for the FSL A320 to be developed, five years for most of PMDG's efforts to make it out of the door, and a similar amount of time for many of A2A's GA and military classic aeroplanes to tip up. Sometimes they never show up. I'm looking at you Level D.

Even now, most of P3D's included 'default' aeroplanes are ex-payware stuff originally from FSX, and for 200 quid (or 60 for the Academic version), it doesn't even have a real-world weather function at all, you have to throw approximately another 60 quid at it for a weather add-on to get that capability.

Likewise ATC, which let's not forget, is essentially the same in FSX (after fourteen years) as it was on the day it was released and essentially the same today in V5 (after ten years) as it was in V1 of P3D back in 2010. MSFS ATC is broadly similar, but the built-in flight planner does include SIDs, STARs and Transitions, so right there if you like realism, it's wiping the floor with all the other flight mainstream sim built-in IFR flight planning options which are available, either payware or built-in, and that's a default capability in MSFS.

MSFS is precisely four weeks old today, and it already has a ton of freebie tweaks before it even has a finalised SDK. Yeah there are some stumbling blocks for development, but it was less than two weeks before an add-on Cessna 182 showed up for it and fancier payware aeroplanes are coming too. There are already approximately 20 payware airports for the thing and three major cities with enhanced scenery payware add-ons, and many more freebie ones, because existing 3D scenery models only have to be exported in the correct format to work in MSFS.

Based off that kind of timetable, even with the challenges of the SDK in its present state, chances are stuff will show up a lot quicker than it did for FSX, XPlane and P3D, not least because we're not in a position where developers had to research their stuff from scratch and then try to figure out how to make a realistic 747 work without bombing a 32 Bit application with an eye constantly on VAS limitations.

All this said, and ignoring it all if you like, right out of the box MSFS is scenically light-years ahead of all other flight sims, yet in spite of all that graphic excellence, it runs well on a PC which for nearly every other sim, would see you fiddling with the graphics sliders and accepting compromises to get a decent frame rate. People have got MSFS getting decent frame rates on PCs which are literally years old.

Just go to any airport which wouldn't have a hope in hell of ever getting some scenery made for it in any other sim and look at the included default airport. It might not look spot on, but chances are it won't be terrible. Hell, even where an airport hasn't been modeled at all you've still got a photo-realistic terrain image of the thing, plus a set of included development tools which will allow you to drop built-in airport scenery assets over it and make your own airport in about five minutes with no programming or graphic abilities whatsoever being necessary, merely a modicum of intelligence being all that is required accomplish this.

Yeah the weather interpolation needs a tweak or two, but even at this point it makes all other flight sim weather depictions look dreadful by comparison. It's the first flight sim ever where a thunderstorm actually looks goddam scary enough to make you want to do a 180 and land ASAP.

And all this is after four weeks, so if anyone isn't prepared to cut it a bit of slack, then I'd say they've got a pretty short memory concerning how FSX, XPlane and P3D started out. And don't get me wrong here, those are all great sims, but it's largely because we've all thrown a few thousand quid at them over a period of nearly two decades.

Does it still need work? Yup. Is it perfect? Nope. Is it still pretty good in spite of this, and will it improve even more? Absolutely.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 43
  • Upvote 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

3 hours ago, Boomer said:

Waiting for the add-ons like PMDG etc

This the bit that is starting to give me some concern as it seems it will be quite a while for the likes of A2A PMDG etc to come on board with MSFS - if ever.  For me MSFS will have arrived when we see these high end developers supporting it. At the moment things are not at all encouraging when you attempt to devine the tea leaves on this matter.

Bruceb

• Upvote 2

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."