Sign in to follow this  
mjw8899

Glad I didn’t buy it

Here’s a concrete example: Say you are flying vfr but ceilings drop (if the weather is accurate), and you need to shoot any unplanned ifr approach. In which simulator would you want to practice this? I personally love this practice because it helps in rw flying and is not infrequent  Which aircraft would you rather fly? Will MSFS be at this level? The answer is, not yet and not now.  When...who knows, but when it is I will happily spend hundreds of dollars on add ons. 

18 minutes ago, DavidP said:

I think that the right to have an opinion should be respected.

It seems any remotely negative opinion, regardless of how respectfully it is expressed regarding MSFS, is immediately squashed by the baying crowd.

The level of intolerance is quite shocking.

Start putting those opinions next to facts and you will soon discover why people should often keep their opinion to themselves.

The OP is moaning about not having a same level of vertical depth of stock MSFS than his, most likely, pimped out P3D or XP, not to mention complaining about features that are outright absent from other platforms. This is not a subjective or objective opinion but a useless whining. I can very well respect constructive criticism, but not some senseless venting just because something is not to your unrealistic and groundless expectations.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, mjw8899 said:

Here’s a concrete example: Say you are flying vfr but ceilings drop (if the weather is accurate), and you need to shoot any unplanned ifr approach. In which simulator would you want to practice this? I personally love this practice because it helps in rw flying and is not infrequent  Which aircraft would you rather fly? Will MSFS be at this level? The answer is, not yet and not now.  When...who knows, but when it is I will happily spend hundreds of dollars on add ons. 

That is not how you take and example. You are not mentioning what aircraft are you comparing, let alone what simulator, but I am willing to bet that this other simulator is not at its stock configuration so why do you pit it against stock MSFS?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, DavidP said:

It seems any remotely negative opinion, regardless of how respectfully it is expressed regarding MSFS, is immediately squashed by the baying crowd.

You do realise that if you respect the right for someone to have an opinion, then you should also respect the right for people to have the opposite opinion too, don't you?

Suggesting that it is somehow 'shocking' to express a contrary opinion, when moments earlier you were espousing that people have a right to their opinion and that it should be respected, appears to be demonstrate that you do not practice what you preach. Ironically, this would seem to be an example of the intolerance you are claiming is shocking to you.

The fact that a larger number of people express a similar opinion one doesn't agree with does not instantly make them a 'baying crowd', it makes them a majority which you happen to disagree with.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 9
  • Upvote 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

OP if it doesn’t work for you right now that is fine. We all get to make our own decisions and vote with our wallets. Maybe after a few patches you will reconsider. If not, no biggie. I am happy to be along for the journey but i can understand others not feeling the same. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

Well, with the all the vitriol I decided to fire the sim up and see what I missed. I took the default 172 out from OAK, did some stalls and spins, flaps on and off, and it performed extremely well, including the recoveries. So I stand corrected, the flight dynamics on the 172 are good and as far as I can tell close to real life. I will test avionics tomorrow, but I will say for VFR flight the 172 is a good option.

Then I took he A320 IFR OAK to BUR, I flight I have done many times in the Toliss A319. I didn’t finish, as somehow the auto throttle stopped keeping the speed and the entire autopilot become unresponsive. So clearly, the bus Is not close to working.

So if you want to practice VFR flight, this seems to be a fine option. The other planes I can’t comment on, but for VFR training, the C172 might be a good option. 

Finally I didn’t intend to start any fights here. I honestly feel let down by the hype and hope that the PMDG’s, A2A’s and ActiveSky’s come through with addons. For now, I’m just not sure its worth investing in. 

1 hour ago, DavidP said:

We all know that opinions are like another part of the body, everyone has one and most of them stink.  But to be serious for a second.

There's a difference between having a constructive criticism, and simply complaining for complaining sake.  Tell me which one is which.

1.  The Plane selection UI sucks.  The Asobo team is only interested in taking your money and have no interest in putting out a quality product.  They simply want to pick your pocket and leave you with a bug filled bucket full of broken promises.

2.  The Plane selection UI is overly cumbersome and takes too much time to navigate..  It would be nice to have additional ways to filter them or to mark certain planes and liveries as favorites.  Perhaps the "hanger" in my profile could be modified to store more than one plane and allow you to cycle through your favorites.

Both of those comments highlight a negative aspect of the Plane selection UI, but only one details the problem and offers potential solutions.  One is constructive, one is not.

I think we should all step back and appreciate what we have available.  I remember 19 years ago there was serious discussion on whether providing flight simulator technology to the average consumer wasn't simply to dangerous to allow.  I was seriously wondering if FS2000 would be the last Flight Simulator to be released to the general public.  Luckily it was not.  

We could very well be living in a world where this type program would be considered a threat to national security, and a requirement by the government to dumb down the sim to the point that as to be unrecognizable.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, mjw8899 said:

I honestly feel let down by the hype and hope that the PMDG’s, A2A’s and ActiveSky’s come through with addons. For now, I’m just not sure its worth investing in. 

Well if you are inclined to believe hype, I'm sorry to have to inform you that wearing that after shave is not going to make Eva Green your girlfriend, despite what an advert might claim. 🤣

Actually the hype is probably not so much Asobo and MS to blame, as it is the quite large numbers of people in the beta who were banging on about it being the best thing since sliced bread, on this very forum. And yes, many who did so are claiming now that they did not say anything like that at all, but if they want me to start looking through posts and quoting where they did exactly that, I will do. 😈

In any case, it will get sorted and it won't be too long before some good stuff shows up, in the meantime, fly the good stuff and enjoy the good points, of which there are many even at this time.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

1 hour ago, mjw8899 said:

Well, you dont have to think this anymore, since you are going to look elsewhere. It is simple, just fly  P3D or XP11. Easy, Problem solved.

9900k@5GHz, 32GB@3200 RAM, Strix RTX 2080ti, VKB Gladiator mkii, VKB rudder pedals 

From the PMDG forums just over a week the man himself.

Gents,

Couple of observations:

1) Please do not allow this conversation to devolve into a "My Sim vs. Other Sim." I haven't had to say this for a while- but we just don't entertain such discussions here because they are always based upon personal opinion and are highly subjective and serve no purpose other than to give antagonists something to fan into flames.

2) We have stated very clearly that we do not anticipate being able to release a product in MSFS for 6-12 months post the release of MSFS. The platform simply isn't ready for products as complex as ours. We are working very well and very closely with Asobo and further cooperation and effort is definitely the rule of the day- but a release is some ways off still. It won't be a surprise when it is close, I promise you. In the mean time we have some additional Prepar3D stuff coming for you.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

It's a month old sim (since release), it's a long way ahead.

Nobody is taking away your old sim so feel free to stick to it and be happy.

• Upvote 1

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

I cannot believe that we are on the 3rd page of comments about someone who is glad he did not buy the game.

Really? 3 pages? Do re really care if someone buys or do not buys it?

& if we did or did not buy it, do we think that others care? Are we so bored & self opinionated?

• Like 3

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

5 hours ago, brucewtb said:

This the bit that is starting to give me some concern as it seems it will be quite a while for the likes of A2A PMDG etc to come on board with MSFS - if ever.  For me MSFS will have arrived when we see these high end developers supporting it. At the moment things are not at all encouraging when you attempt to devine the tea leaves on this matter.

Bruceb

I'd note that it took PMDG about a year to get the their OG 747 in to FSX, and that's just a conversion of the FS9 model at its core I believe. When you consider that and how far along the 737 is in comparison things seem to be moving along fairly fast, personally I'm not really concerned at this point.

I think the magic of this flighsim is that it teaches to have your eyes outside of the cockpit, more than any (civilian) flightsim ever before. From what I've read flight instructors quickly recognise a 'simmer because their eyes are glued to the instrument panel instead of being aware of what happens around the aircraft.

That doesn't mean this sim is limited to GA or VFR flight. As with all other sims, the 'professional' aircraft will come later with the likes of PMDG or A2A, or with freeware and tweaks for the default aircraft from dedicated people. As far as I can tell, even a number of default aircraft could be tweaked into 'professional' range.

• Like 2

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

4 hours ago, DavidP said:

Absolutely agree, David. I have never seen so many snowflakes in summer.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png