Sign in to follow this  
Isaiah53six

Can someone tell why there might be X's on active runway?

The runway at KRBL (Red Bluff) in California shows X's on the runway in game. Does this mean the airport isn't active? I believe it is in IRL. Is this a game glitch or something else?  any incite is appreciated. 

Kind regards,

Tim

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K (OC 4.7) CPU COOLER: Noctua nh-d15S GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070-Ti FTW2 8GB  SSD: Crucial MX500 1TB HDD: Seagate 500GB - Maxtor 250GB - WD 250GB RAM: Team Vulcan 16 GB MBD: Gigabyte Z370P D3
PSU: Evga 650w  OS: Win 10 Pro

Looks like another sim anomaly. 🙄 Those are definitely the markings of a closed runway which is not the case. Your guess is as good as mine as to why MFS thinks it's closed.

AMD 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 42" LG C3 OLED 4K TV/Monitor

Sometimes the x denotes a private runway, rather than a closed one, but not familiar with that airport myself.

1 hour ago, ShawnG said:

Sometimes the x denotes a private runway, rather than a closed one, but not familiar with that airport myself.

True, if you land on rwy 24 in St. Tropez, La Mole for eg., it has an X before threshold and it is a working open runway.

Sergio Naiberg

Some airports have it as a warning to aircraft unfamiliar with the airport that there might be something surprising about the runway, such as its slope, length or maybe a wicked crosswind or whatever.

An example of this is Juancho E. Yrausquin Airport (TNCS) on the Dutch Caribbean island of Saba. Check it out in the sim, it's really well modeled and fun to land on with a twin. You can get the DA-62 down onto it and back up in the air (just, although keep the nose down and let it fly off the edge or you might stall).

Here's the real thing, you'll see the sim version compares pretty well if you load it up. Note the X on the runway:

Edited by Chock
  • Like 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

1 hour ago, Isaiah53six said:

The runway at KRBL (Red Bluff) in California shows X's on the runway in game. Does this mean the airport isn't active? I believe it is in IRL. Is this a game glitch or something else?  any incite is appreciated. 

FAA AIM 2-3-6 Other Markings:

aim_img_257.jpeg

Marking and Lighting of Permanently Closed Runways and Taxiways.

For runways and taxiways which are permanently closed, the lighting circuits will be disconnected. The runway threshold, runway designation, and touchdown markings are obliterated and yellow crosses are placed at each end of the runway and at 1,000 foot intervals.

I've seen that at KSKX. In that airport's case, it's because the satellite imagery is from when they were constructing a new runway (13/31). They had X's on the runway until it was done to prevent planes from landing on it, and that happens to be when the aerial image was taken.

Interestingly, KSKX is totally messed up in the sim. You can only select 13/31 in ATC, but the FMS only shows 4/22. I turned that in as a bug. 

Looking at KRBL, if you compare Bing (http://www.bing.com/maps/?sp=aN.40.150306_-122.252194_KRBL&lvl=14) to Google (http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.150306%2C-122.252194&spn=0.0210,0.0210) satellite views, you'll see the X's there in Bing, and not there in the later photo on Google.

Just so everyone knows what we're looking at...... 😉

22 minutes ago, GearUp180 said:

For runways and taxiways which are permanently closed, the lighting circuits will be disconnected. The runway threshold, runway designation, and touchdown markings are obliterated and yellow crosses are placed at each end of the runway and at 1,000 foot intervals.

50354557977_aeb70b7c63_k.jpg

• Like 2

AMD 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 42" LG C3 OLED 4K TV/Monitor

yep, old bing maps.....gotta love em

Kind regards,

Tim

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K (OC 4.7) CPU COOLER: Noctua nh-d15S GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070-Ti FTW2 8GB  SSD: Crucial MX500 1TB HDD: Seagate 500GB - Maxtor 250GB - WD 250GB RAM: Team Vulcan 16 GB MBD: Gigabyte Z370P D3

3 hours ago, air-ick said:

Looks like another sim anomaly. 🙄 Those are definitely the markings of a closed runway which is not the case. Your guess is as good as mine as to why MFS thinks it's closed.

someone mentioned it probably has to do with bing maps not being up to date because google maps apparently show it open

Kind regards,

Tim

2 hours ago, Chock said:

An example of this is Juancho E. Yrausquin Airport (TNCS) on the Dutch Caribbean island of Saba. 

Here's the real thing, you'll see the sim version compares pretty well if you load it up. Note the X on the runway:

Love the tail code, considering a) the pilot made the landing, and b) the harsh braking involved:  Perfect Journey-Work In Progress?😄

46 minutes ago, Isaiah53six said:

someone mentioned it probably has to do with bing maps not being up to date because google maps apparently show it open

And the opposite is also true. Edinburgh (EGPH) has it's secondary runway open in the sim despite it having been closed for several years. Bing maps aerial view even shows the cars parked on the southern end of the closed runway but the sim has still interpreted it as active (with no cars!).

• Like 1

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

Those white X marks before the runway threshold , not on the runway itself, like in the twin otter video there usually denotes a non manoeuvre area and often seen with a displaced threshold, along is an arrow. It can mean the surface is non weight bearing.

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

Flying into EGKK got clearance for 8L from ATC, Gatwick do not use this runway and with live traffic very little traffic in the sim.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg