Sign in to follow this  
mtr75

Am I the only one

That has never checked their FPS in the sim? I don’t even know how to do it. I couldn’t possibly care less. I set the global to Ultra, ran it, it runs smooth and looks wonderful. 

Good enough for me. 

• Like 8
  • Upvote 4

Yeah but what is the keystroke to check FPS in FS2020?

spacer.png

Nope. I don't care what the FPS is as long as things move smoothly. And for the most part, they do.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, mtr75 said:

That has never checked their FPS in the sim? I don’t even know how to do it. I couldn’t possibly care less. I set the global to Ultra, ran it, it runs smooth and looks wonderful. 

Good enough for me. 

At last!.. 👍

I agree, because people can become obsessed about if they are getting 31 of 33, and spend more time on that and tweaking than flying itself!   

But I have checked frame rate occasionally when testing things to see if they are frame hogs or not - especially in the settings.  But if it is mainly above 30, I can tolerate the odd stutter or pause, and I think most of us will have to live with it anyway - if it's good enough, just fly! (I know.. it's only pretend flying) 😁

I am not sure if we will ever see a decent and completely 60 fps stutter free sim in our our life time, because for stutters, there will always be one thing waiting for another (internet/hard disks etc.), and for frame rate, as soon as we buy more powerful GPU's, they go and add extra eye candy for the cards to chew on! (e.g. do we really need ray tracing when it can look this good without?)

Accepting all the issues that need sorting out, MSFS still gives the best frame rate I have had from any other similar flight sim out of the box, while still looking stunning even on just high settings rather than ultra.  

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 4

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

1 minute ago, bobcat999 said:

people can become obsessed about if they are getting 31 of 33, and spend more time on that and tweaking than flying itself! 

+1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

You're not the only one by a long shot. I've been banging on about the obsessive FPS watching for yonks.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

No you are not, last time i have checked the exact fps number in a game let alone sim was probably FSX in 2010...

• Like 1

Lucky you, I wish I could do the same, but I'm a Capricorn so it's impossible 😄

Edited by Ixoye
  • Like 1

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

Did it with FRAPS, but only because FRAPS shows it anyway and I wanted to see if FRAPS would work with it, which it does. Think it was somewhere around 50-60 FPS which surprised me, thought it might be less, but I really couldn't give a toss about any of that 'my rig's amazing' dick waving contest stuff, so long as it was flyable.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I always check it.

Just to see how bad my brain is aging.. the more the FPS get lower while I perceive everything as fluid the more I understand I am CPU bound behind the eyes 😪

• Like 4

Marco Manieri

Perugia - Italy

169055.png

I very, very rarely check it.  When I first got the sim, I turned it on and flew over NYC to see what I'd get, but mostly now I keep it off.  

When I installed, the sim set itself on "high" which looks amazing on my 3 year old PC and I've not done any tweaking.  The only FPS thing I did was to turn off AI traffic.  

I remember FSX all too well, spending more time tweaking than flying, and I do not want to repeat that cycle.  I've been very lucky in this sim where things run a lot smoother overall.  Sure, I get stutters and things occasionally, but not the constant issues that were normal with FSX (I could never, ever get that sim to run well).  

• Like 1

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

I don't bother checking either.

Seems to run fine even on my modest PC.

• Like 1

Currently circumnavigating the world in a mix of Cessna and Piper aircraft. 

My Default Setup; MSFS, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster Hotas X, TrackIR, Samsung Galaxy Tab, JustFlight Piper Arrow. Simworks Quest Kodiak 100. 

Wishlist; Honeycomb Bravo, Honeycomb Charlie.

1:400 Airline Model Collector.

I checked mine for the first time yesterday on a couple of flights and was getting anywhere between 30-60 fps depending on where I was at.  Noticed that when I approach an airport to land the fps drops drastically.  From a consistent 40-50 fps down to 25-30 fps.  Very smooth until I get close to an airport then some noticable stuttering starts.