Sign in to follow this  
LRBS

Monitor recommendation, please.

Good day,

I need help with a monitor recommendation, please.
My 43" Dell died and wondering what would be the best option on a 38".
I have an Nvidia Titan RTX 24 GB and running P3D and I'm new to the MSFS2020.

Thank you!

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

I've been using a 34" Dell ultra sharp wide monitor. Not even one dead pixel. Colours still vibrant after 5 years. I have been satisfied with it. Zero complaints.  I believe they now have a 38" version.

1 hour ago, killthespam said:
Good day,

I need help with a monitor recommendation, please.
My 43" Dell died and wondering what would be the best option on a 38".
I have an Nvidia Titan RTX 24 GB and running P3D and I'm new to the MSFS2020.

Thank you!

What are your interests in monitor size?  You had 43". Would you be satisfied with less?  Or are you asking about same or larger? Other than size, what else are you looking for?  vsync?  resolution?  Interfaces?  Sound (hopefully not). USB-C?  VESA mount? Reliability?"

Oh so many factors to consider.  What is important to you?

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

12 minutes ago, fppilot said:

What are your interests in monitor size?  You had 43". Would you be satisfied with less?  Or are you asking about same or larger? Other than size, what else are you looking for?  vsync?  resolution?  Interfaces?  Sound (hopefully not). USB-C?  VESA mount? Reliability?"

Oh so many factors to consider.  What is important to you?

Hi Frank,

I can go as low to 38", vsync, 3840x2160 or higher. My previous monitor was a Dell 43" 3840x2160 on P3D I didn't have any issues, but MSFS2020 it was a FPS killer at that resolution on my PC even at I9 10900K with the Titan RTX.

Thanks.

@killthespam, firstly there isn't anything higher than UHD (3840*2160). If you want 2160 vertical pixels only 16:9 monitors can deliver that. 21:9 etc. only have 1440 or even 1080 vertical pixels.

If a Titan couldn't give you decent performance at UHD it sounds like your settings are too high. Hard to recommend until you decide what ratio you want. Ultra-wide or 16:9.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

3 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@killthespam, firstly there isn't anything higher than UHD (3840*2160). If you want 2160 vertical pixels only 16:9 monitors can deliver that. 21:9 etc. only have 1440 or even 1080 vertical pixels.

If a Titan couldn't give you decent performance at UHD it sounds like your settings are too high. Hard to recommend until you decide what ratio you want. Ultra-wide or 16:9.

Good day Ray,

I could spend the money on refurbishing my old Dell 43" but I'm not so sure if is worth it. After a few years of using it I'm not too keen about performance and picture quality.

If anybody knows, which one would be better suited for a flight simulator like P3D or MSFS2020?

Samsung 49" CHG90 QLED Gaming Monitor

LG 38GL950G-B 38 Inch UltraGear Nano IPS 1ms Curved Gaming Monitor with 144HZ Refresh Rate and NVIDIA G-SYNC, Black

Thank you!

9 minutes ago, killthespam said:

Good day Ray,

I could spend the money on refurbishing my old Dell 43" but I'm not so sure if is worth it. After a few years of using it I'm not too keen about performance and picture quality.

If anybody knows, which one would be better suited for a flight simulator like P3D or MSFS2020?

Samsung 49" CHG90 QLED Gaming Monitor

LG 38GL950G-B 38 Inch UltraGear Nano IPS 1ms Curved Gaming Monitor with 144HZ Refresh Rate and NVIDIA G-SYNC, Black

Thank you!

Cannot help on that size range. My flying is done at my multipurpose desk and that size range is too large for my viewing distance.  Perhaps someone with a greater size area will chip in.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

@killthespam, curved displays are very much a personal choice but don’t appear to be popular with flight simmers. The Samsung has a vertical resolution of only 1080 so on that basis I wouldn’t recommend it.

The LG is better with a resolution of 3840*1600 but it’s an ultra-wide. You sacrifice the vertical view for a wider horizontal one. So more panning up and down more to see different parts of the cockpit. Technically nothing wrong with ultra-wide - just a personal choice. The LG also has G-Sync which is popular with simmers. My BenQ doesn’t have it and I don’t consider that a drawback. The LG is certainly a quality monitor as its price suggests.

Have a look through the 4K monitors here. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/monitors/by-type/4k-ultra-hd

My BenQ PD3200U is still one I would recommend. Adjustable stand, several USB ports and it can be rotated 90° for portrait mode as well as making access to the ports much easier.

I’d be wary of going very large. Normal Windows operations are still required and a large screen could be overwhelming for that. In any case you’re then talking TVs and different criteria come into play.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Thank you Ray!

If I may.

I'm thinking this might be the time to upgrade to 4K with the new generation of graphics cards and MFS and all.

What would you guys consider to be a limit to the screen size when the screen is only for a desk. In other words, sitting about 24" away?

Right now, I use a 27" monitor and that's good for an all around uses. Would 32" or 34" work, do you think.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

@RichieFly, 4K with P3Dv4.5 works well for me even with AIG Ai aircraft included in the sim. The 1080Ti is still a very powerful card. As to whether it can work as well with MFS is unknown to me as I don't have it.

The 3080 would appear to be a reasonable choice but bear in mind it only has 10Gb compared to 11Gb on the 1080Ti. I'd be tempted to wait for the Ti range which I think would have more VRAM.

When you look for UHD/4K monitors it's probably no coincidence they all stop at 32". That is probably the largest size for standard desktop work. Gamers may want larger but the only way of keeping 4K is to switch to a TV. Minimum size is around 43" so that's a big gap.

32" would be fine for you but 34" means a widescreen version and vertical res is probably 1440, not 2160.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Richard and Ray,

I'm still looking for a monitor, very difficult task especially how they advertise technical data, each manufacturer uses different terminology and play with the numbers.

I don't know what is standard today, but I see 34", 38", 43" with 2K, 4K, 5K and 8K resolutions.

I had the Dell 43 4 K (UHD) with 3840x2160 @ 60 Hz which died after a good period of time, the issue for me was the response time, they claimed between 5 and 8 ms. That 5 or 8 ms is noticeable at that size (IMHO).

I'm still looking for a replacement or to refurbish my old monitor and I'm facing issues of the pixelation over 43" and performance issues starting from 5K even on a Titan video card with 24 Mb memory.

On the idea of using a TV as a monitor, (in my case) was that above 43" high resolutions are kind of limited and I noticed poor picture quality because of the display granulation. At a certain point I had a 60" TV and very happy with the real estate (gauges were almost real size) but after 1/2 Hr my eyes start hurting me due to pixelation/granulation.

So this is my experience and dilemma with monitors.

I don't like the idea of returning stuff back to the manufacturer (just to try and see) but at a certain point based on how they play with the numbers to screw with your head and cannot make a sound decision because of that I start to think differently. 

@killthespam, presumably if your Dell was still okay you would be happy with the size and resolution wouldn't you? Why not just go with another 32" UHD/4K monitor? Or are you looking for a larger one?

If you are then it won't be as clear at any given resolution as a smaller one. That's the price you pay for a larger size - less sharp. Very difficult to get both unless you go to 8K and that will cost a fortune and even then your Titan would struggle to give decent results.

So assuming 8K is out and so too are 2K and 5K that leaves 4K. 2K is 2560*1440 and 5K is a very stretched 4K display of perhaps 24:9.

Pixels per inch comes into play here. Look at this calculator.

https://www.calculatorsoup.com/calculators/technology/ppi-calculator.php

Enter 3840*2160 and 32" and you get 137.68 pixels per inch. Now enter a 43" display. It drops to 102.46. That's equivalent to the sharpness of a 1920*1080 21" display. Not good eh? But if you think that's bad enter 3840*2160 and a 55" display. It drops to 80 PPI. That's the same as a 1920*1080 28" display.

So you can have immersion with a big display or sharpness with a smaller one. Only you can decide. Once you have come back and I'll suggest some models.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

18 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@killthespam, presumably if your Dell was still okay you would be happy with the size and resolution wouldn't you? Why not just go with another 32" UHD/4K monitor? Or are you looking for a larger one?

Once you have come back and I'll suggest some models.

Hi Ray,

To be honest  I would not go over 43" because from what I noticed performance wise, even Titan RTX is struggling with performance at higher resolutions. 

I'm entertaining the idea of a 38", it's difficult for me to go lower because I was exposed to the 43", that's my issue.

Yes, by any means please suggest some models and thanks for that calculator.

The Titax RTX is one of the most powerful cards around. There's no way it should be struggling in 4K unless you have all sliders to the max and you have copious amounts of Ai such as AIG in P3D. What's your CPU and RAM?

If you want 4K the choice is now down to 32" monitor or 43" TV. It's either / or. Here are some TVs that support chroma 4:4:4 so text will appear sharp in Windows Explorer. The Sony 43" appears a good choice.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-usage/pc-monitor

Sony review... https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x800h

BenQ 32" 4K monitor... https://www.techradar.com/uk/reviews/benq-pd3200u

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather