Sign in to follow this  
RFields5421

ATC and IFR Flight Plan

Guest machammer

I should know the answer to this but I need some better understanding regarding the relationship between ATC and a filed IFR flight plan.When I fly an IFR flight plan using ATC using the G1000/Auto Pilot system to fly the plan ATC headings do not match the flight plan. The headings given by ATC are different than the track displayed on the moving map. Yes ATC directs me to the correct airport but not the way the flight plan is displayed.What am I not understanding?Thanks in advance to all who reply.I'm using the Baron 58 with the G1000 on a flight from KPHL to KJFKBill

Bill,Once you get within about 60-70 miles of your destination ATC will start issuing vectors to the runway. In effect, they are overriding your flight plan. It happens in the real world too. Usually not so far out.Mike

At many airports you can select alternate approaches to the Novice Vectors to Final - and they will follow more realistic procedures, with transition waypoints.