Sign in to follow this  
Akila

turn off clouds reflection on the water? Unrealistic reflect

Does anyone knows how to switch off the clouds reflection on the water?
the reflection is so ridicules, it's like they mirrored the clouds of the sky on the water.
it feels like your plane (you flying) sandwich between two skies.
I feel like the Movie "upside down" where two planes are back to back sharing
the skies and see the other backwards (and you can hop between each other).
qt8cRle.png

Check my Video to see what I mean , you can see I am flying as low as 800ft for those of you that would probably say "you are flying above some clouds"...No i am not, it's the to dominant cloud reflection

Edited by Akila

Joel Strikovsky
Banner_FS2Crew_NGX_Driver.jpg

Really! you need to just do a google "clouds reflected in water"

Its mind blowing this stuff. What do you want? !!!! Go fly P3D there is an option to turn it off and then the water looks "Shetty"

cumulus-clouds-reflected-on-water-simon-

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 2

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

1. at a very narrow angle (look at the camera angle, it's almost parallel to the water) you see what you picture is depicting, not when you in the air almost 90 degrees looking down at the water

2. maybe over a lake, not over the ocean. and my video/flight was over the ocean.

P.S. the picture you posted, shows the cloud reflection over the small patch of water on the sand, not the reflection of the clouds bouncing from the water body itself.
Therefore, this picture is not a good example.

Edited by Akila

Joel Strikovsky

Its down to how windy it is. The size of waves. Please go fly P3D, its perfect for you. As you can turn off all refection's and have its looking "great"

Edited by Nyxx

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

1 minute ago, Nyxx said:

Really! you need to just do a google "clouds reflected in water"

Its mind blowing this stuff. What do you want? !!!!

cumulus-clouds-reflected-on-water-simon-

^ This

You beat me to it.  However, to give the OP some credit.  That only happens with almost glass like conditionss, and most large bodies of water has those conditions.  So yes, it a cool effect.  But I think the OP is stating that you have to have perfect conditions for that to occur and it occurs way more often in the Sim than IRL.

The most likely culprit is the fact that the "water" doesn't actually do anything other than slightly ripple.  If we had more realistic response of the water, then the reflections would go away.  Fair point.  But there's so much bigger fish to fry in this sim than accurately modeling the hydrological conditions of the "virtual world" I'm willing to give them a pass.   

Suffice it to say, the water in FS2020 is miles better than the mess that occurs in stock FSX.  

13 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Its down to how windy it is. The size of waves. Please go fly P3D, its perfect for you. As you can turn off all refection's and have its looking "great"

my question was MSFS,
if you don't know than answer that is fine, but don't offer ridicules solutions that does not mitigate the question that was asked.

Edited by Akila

Joel Strikovsky

Its because you have no idea what your talking about.

1 minute ago, wthomas33065 said:

^ This

You beat me to it.  However, to give the OP some credit.  That only happens with almost glass like conditionss, and most large bodies of water has those conditions.  So yes, it a cool effect.  But I think the OP is stating that you have to have perfect conditions for that to occur and it occurs way more often in the Sim than IRL.

The most likely culprit is the fact that the "water" doesn't actually do anything other than slightly ripple.  If we had more realistic response of the water, then the reflections would go away.  Fair point.  But there's so much bigger fish to fry in this sim than accurately modeling the hydrological conditions of the "virtual world" I'm willing to give them a pass.   

Suffice it to say, the water in FS2020 is miles better than the mess that occurs in stock FSX.  

I am less expecting it to be fixed any time soon, I am more seeking how to disable the reflection of clouds until this issue would be addressed

Joel Strikovsky

1 minute ago, Nyxx said:

Its because you have no idea what your talking about.

do you know how to switch it off or not?

Joel Strikovsky

2 minutes ago, Akila said:

my question was MSFS,
if you don't know than answer that is fine, but don't offer ridicules solutions that do not answer the question that was asked.

In answer to your questions, the global setting for reflections does not have an "off".  Nor does their appear to be a setting which allows you to turn off water reflections specifically, like may have occurred in previous iterations.  Changing Reflections to "Low" might mitigate the problem some, but that affects ALL reflections so there's your catch 22.  

2 minutes ago, Akila said:

do you know how to switch it off or not?

OMG!

i tried the Low settings, unfortunately it did not change the cloud reflection, it's probably more on reflection quality than reflection elements

Joel Strikovsky

It's down to angles. Much like you can see the clouds and buildings reflected in the asphalt of a road at the right angle, you can with water too. In the real World, you probably won't be able to see the clouds at a near straight down view of the water surface, even if it were ridiculously calm waters. MSFS overdoes the reflection.

Can you turn it off? I don't have the answer, but I'm sure if you start lowering settings, eventually you'll find the right one. It could probably be in the .cfg too somewhere. I understand you want to keep the visual fidelity of the sim at the same time as removing the reflections, to which I don't believe is possible.

• Like 1

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

exactly!!! my point. you hit the spot!!

Edited by Akila
  • Like 1

Joel Strikovsky

9 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

OMG!

did you even watch the clip in my post?

Joel Strikovsky