Sign in to follow this  
sivart2000

Haven't taken the plunge, my concerns

3 minutes ago, Steve Dra said:

Sigh....DCS....

I have the Hornet, F16, Av8B, updated A-10, Persian Gulf Map, Las Vegas....and still have only taken off and flown around.  The depth of detail in that sim is far beyond my mental capacity...but I hope one day to get a good Maverick Kill on a T72 in the Warthog! 🙂

Stick with it. Steep learning curve but worth it! Start with the F-18, watch Grim Reapers and Spudknockers tutorials on YouTube. I have the same modules as you. I know about 70% of the Hornet and 50% of the Warthog and am able to participate and enjoy it. I'm stoked for the OH-58D. I flew Kiowa Alphas and Charlies in Germany 88-93.

And before I make this next point let me qualify; everyone in this thread has been super helpful and I appreciate it! That said, the DCS community is a bit more mature and FAR less toxic than the P3D, X Plane, MSFS community. Why? I don't know. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sivart2000 said:

Pretty sound advice also. Yo! Lightning or Stars?

Yeah, I mean we don't even have a word on a complex GA plane at this point other than that they are in the works.  I will say, that even turning this sim down to medium is pretty impressive.  Where the sim shines though is looking out the window for sure.  

Any real Sabres fan is still bitter over no-goal 1999 (and we still hate the commish over that one).  😀

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

2 minutes ago, kerosene31 said:

Yeah, I mean we don't even have a word on a complex GA plane at this point other than that they are in the works.  I will say, that even turning this sim down to medium is pretty impressive.  Where the sim shines though is looking out the window for sure.  

Any real Sabres fan is still bitter over no-goal 1999 (and we still hate the commish over that one).  😀

Hopefully my Lightning can exact some revenge for you!

Cheers

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sivart2000 said:

Money no object, you are absolutely correct and if MSFS had come out 10 months ago we wouldn't be having this discussion. But current events have me in a position where I'm struggling to keep a once successful business alive so discretionary spending is now a concern for me. Gotta make sure everything counts.

Absolutely. COVID quite literally changed the world, and discretionary spending is sadly a reality where in pre-COVID days, most wage-earning adults could justify spending on a hobby as part of the entertainment budget (not according to the CFO of the household in most cases though...hehe...they think Dinner and a Movie is entertainment...so weird!)

I'm very fortunate (financially) to be in a field that was impacted by COVID for sure, and doubly blessed that while in healthcare, I'm in HealthCare IT, not on the clinical side. I support the clinical staff, and it is very satisfying work knowing I'm helping those on the front line who have to use our software by making sure its thoroughly tested before updates get to them, so they don't have to triage patients and the software they use to take care of them at the same time. 😉

Anyway....I wish the best for you and prosperity for your business as we get thru this pandemic.  As I suspect, you probably use simming to take your mind away from the stress of reality...and I can attest that this version of flightsim has done that for me.  I hope if you can budget it in your discretionary spending account, you'll enjoy it as much as I have so far.

Just one more of those "ahhhhh" images I snapped at the end of a very satisfying flight...now parked in front of my simulated hangar, getting ready to hand-tow her in and tuck her in for the night. 🙂

icZ4IR.jpg

• Like 2

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

11 minutes ago, sivart2000 said:

Money no object, you are absolutely correct and if MSFS had come out 10 months ago we wouldn't be having this discussion. But current events have me in a position where I'm struggling to keep a once successful business alive so discretionary spending is now a concern for me. Gotta make sure everything counts.

Well now color me confused.  You're worried that if you buy MSFS 2020, it won't satisfactorily perform when the big boys start laying down study level aircraft, but then you say you have no $$$ to buy the study level aircraft even if you could.

Where's the disconnect?

Here's the question you have to answer for yourself.  If MSFS2020 doesn't get any better than where it is right now, can you feel comfortable about spending $60 bucks on it?

If yes, take the plunge.  If no.  don't.  And if you think your financials will improve short term, hedge your bet, get another month of gamepass and make another more informed decision in another 30 days.  

That's my .02.  Now off to KORD to give my new GTX 1660 super a spin....

6 minutes ago, sivart2000 said:

Hopefully my Lightning can exact some revenge for you!

Cheers

Hehe...not a Hockey fan, but in Dallas so I guess I root Stars by default.  Strangely though, I do plan to retire in the TB area, so who knows?  I've always though it odd though....ICE Hockey fans in 2 cities were if they event were to be held outdoors, it would be WATER Hockey for sure. 🙂

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

This post makes no sense. You're scared to jump in because third party devs might eat up the performance? Lol this is not fsx or p3d. We have better visuals with better performance. I'm confident we'll be ok when the complex planes arrive 

26 minutes ago, sivart2000 said:

Stick with it. Steep learning curve but worth it! Start with the F-18, watch Grim Reapers and Spudknockers tutorials on YouTube. I have the same modules as you. I know about 70% of the Hornet and 50% of the Warthog and am able to participate and enjoy it. I'm stoked for the OH-58D. I flew Kiowa Alphas and Charlies in Germany 88-93.

And before I make this next point let me qualify; everyone in this thread has been super helpful and I appreciate it! That said, the DCS community is a bit more mature and FAR less toxic than the P3D, X Plane, MSFS community. Why? I don't know. 

I know all about steep learning curves!  Thought I was really something when I breached the learning curve to get into aircraft painting on Paint Shop Pro...then again when I moved to Photoshop.  My problem with planes is that my Neanderthal mentality (that I never evolved from) wants me to think all planes fly the same way...and that as you can imagine, quickly gets me in trouble. 🙂

Love watching all the Reapers, Spuds, and Wags himself...In fact...almost wonder if I get more entertainment value just watching them fly these machines that I would flying them myself, hehe.

..."I'm stoked for the OH-58D. I flew Kiowa Alphas and Charlies in Germany 88-93."  Pfffft.....that little thing?  That's a baby's toy (Quoting from Back to the Future II, lol).

This is a REAL MAN's chopper!

tgjXU6.jpg

We were both in around the same time...although you were in the wrong service. 🙂

And I was smart enough not to fly in them...I only fixed 'em when you primadonna pilots broke them 🙂 (Sorry...can't resist giving pilots/flight crew a hard time)

Now I know why I like you....fellow rotorhead. 🙂

Edited by Steve Dra
spelling
  • Like 1

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

28 minutes ago, sivart2000 said:

Why don't you just wait?  If you want "study level" airliners, it will probably take 6 months or more for the first ones to come out.  If you can wait until then, more variations and cheaper variations of the NVidia 3000 series will be released next year.  

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

At this point we don’t know what impact study level planes will have, but PMDG has said that in their testing there is little impact on frames.  Msfs performs far better than p3d 4 or 5 do on my rig with better visuals.  Do with that what you will.

oh, and msfs doesn’t run out of vram and crash like p3d5 has with my 8gigs of vram.

Edited by ShawnG
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sivart2000 said:

I run everything pretty dense on 4.5. At the gate at FSDT KORD V2, heavy AI traffic, DD Chicago X, I get 18fps and probably average 30fps for a whole flight. Usable but hardly ideal fps at ORD. I'm good with my fps smoothness enroute and flying into say, FT Tampa. I'm actually cool with 24fps which is where I set my frame rate, not asking for 60 fps. But, I have reservations about respending thousands of dollars moving to MSFS unless I know I'm going to get 30fps solid ,NO exceptions, without having to compromise on visuals, AI traffic etc. 

17 9700 4.8ghz, RTX2080, 32GB@4000mhz

You have the same sys as I essentially, so you will run MFSF exceedingly well, as is the case for me w/o a new GPU.  And w/ HT enabled, you will have bigtime headroom IF your study-levels demand it.  And it only cost a few $$ to play.

Edited by Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

22 minutes ago, ShawnG said:

At this point we don’t know what impact study level planes will have, but PMDG has said that in their testing there is little impact on frames.  Msfs performs far better than p3d 4 or 5 do on my rig with better visuals.  Do with that what you will.

oh, and msfs doesn’t run out of vram and crash like p3d5 has with my 8gigs of vram.

No but it will run out of VRAM on an 8Gb card then frames dump into the toilet, but that is predictably remedied by a few slider adjustments.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

13 minutes ago, Noel said:

No but it will run out of VRAM on an 8Gb card then frames dump into the toilet, but that is predictably remedied by a few slider adjustments.

Yeah, it will be quite awhile before I bump my LOD sliders above 100. 🙂