Sign in to follow this  
roi1862

3rd parties objects are loaded permanently?

Iam not sure if I am right and how to check it really. Is it possible that those 3rd party objects that are being developed fast by people in the community, are loaded no matter if you fly in that area at all ? 

I am pretty sure that once I took out few sceneries from my community folder sim ran smoother. It will make sense if they will cause performance drop while flying next to them but not if I downloaded landmarks of Budapest and I am flying in Germany.

Any thoughts ? 

• Upvote 1

Roi Ben

1 hour ago, roi1862 said:

Iam not sure if I am right and how to check it really. Is it possible that those 3rd party objects that are being developed fast by people in the community, are loaded no matter if you fly in that area at all ? 

I am pretty sure that once I took out few sceneries from my community folder sim ran smoother. It will make sense if they will cause performance drop while flying next to them but not if I downloaded landmarks of Budapest and I am flying in Germany.

Any thoughts ? 

It's a good question. I recently ran into some funny pauses during LAX approaches (not related to CPU or GPU, watched the activity monitor), and I wondered if it's some scenery I installed.

• Upvote 1

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

If true, that would be a major show stopper for community based mods.

• Like 2

Intel Core i7-11700F, mainboard MSI MPG B560I GAMING EDGE WIFI (MS-7D19), 32 GB DDR4 SDRAM, RTX3070, no OC for CPU, RAM or GPU, XMP off. MS Store version, default installation path on a 1 TB NVMe 4x 8 GT/s

1 minute ago, EDDB2020 said:

Again, I am not positive about it. More professional testing is needed here. I simply put away 2 addons and saw a smoother sim even not flying in the addons area at all. Could be other thing but thats my experience.

Roi Ben

But indeed if true or half true it could really take the wind out of the sails for many.

• Upvote 1

Roi Ben

It would be rather strange if they are loaded separately from normal scenery. Another thing is that Budapest and Germany doesn’t tell that much as it all comes to simulator caching the scenery and loading data to memory. Third is that there may be something wrong with the mods which causes them to behave abnormally from rest of the scenery.

There are probably thousands of scenery mods currently already and I’d think that if slowing down would be generally an issue, there would be much more reporting of the issue as many people drop those mods in their community folder by dozens. Usually FPS problems I’ve seen reported are mods without proper LODs and they specifically point to the FPS hit in vicinity of the scenery.

2 hours ago, EDDB2020 said:

In FSX, with a ton of Megascenery Earth, I routinely used SceneryConfigEditor to select and deselect MSE areas based on where I was flying on a particular day.  If this is an issue then an interim workaround would be to build a separate library of scenery folders and move them in and out of the community folder as needed.

I said "interim workaround".  OK?  Interim.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

4 hours ago, roi1862 said:

Any thoughts ? 

I had my theory with getting around strange CTD's when flying around never before flown scenery.  That all went out the door with patch two.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

My next day off I’m going to download as much freeware scenery as physically possible and I’ll test it if it kills the sim lol. Should be fun.

Edited by UAL4life
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Dillon said:

I had my theory with getting around strange CTD's when flying around never before flown scenery.  That all went out the door with patch two.

Did some flight's this morning and there's hope.  It seems my theory still stands (at lease until the next update because your cache is cleared bringing things back to square one, until the CTD issue is fixed). 

Speaking of add-ons there's always the possibility of a mis-program add-on causing problems but add-on scenery in general affecting this sim is a long shot.  Even if it is a problem today it should be fixed moving forward.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

I would expect that the contents of the community folder are loaded regardless of where you are flying. Much like the addon xmls of P3D.

Vic

• Like 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

23 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

I would expect that the contents of the community folder are loaded regardless of where you are flying. Much like the addon xmls of P3D.

Vic

Which pretty much means we are screwed 🙂

How much we are screwed depands on how much skilled the content creator is in terms of optimization.

• Like 1

Roi Ben

1 hour ago, vgbaron said:

Wouldn't this question be obvious, asked, and answered, during Alpha and Beta?  It's certainly a Q/A that should be near the top of an FAQ list.

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 2

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

4 hours ago, Dillon said:

Did some flight's this morning and there's hope.  It seems my theory still stands (at lease until the next update because your cache is cleared bringing things back to square one, until the CTD issue is fixed). 

Speaking of add-ons there's always the possibility of a mis-program add-on causing problems but add-on scenery in general affecting this sim is a long shot.  Even if it is a problem today it should be fixed moving forward.

Dillon, are you overclocking? I had no CTD in weeks (50+ IFR flights A320), before that, it was always a CPU overlclock fail, or another external issue that caused them.

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB