Sign in to follow this  
raymar

Written Review (draft) Carenado's M20R Mooney for MFS

4 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

It’s also from the MSFS forums right? Everything over there I also take with a grain of salt. 

Ok, so you take everything you read here on Avsim, as gospel?

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

4 minutes ago, Wobbie said:

Ok, so you take everything you read here on Avsim, as gospel?

That’s not what I said, is it? 

1 minute ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

That’s not what I said, is it? 

It's a question.. there is a question mark at the end of the sentence. 

No reason why a 'real' user (who cannot spell, or maybe posts from his mobile, would not comment what he thinks is valid.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

32 minutes ago, Wobbie said:

From Microsoft Flight Simulator site..

The Mooney is another horrible joke from Carenado. Copy pasta aircraft with Carenado skinning, no FM depth, no systems depth... and like the 182 completely overprized at 30 bucks (and like the 182 adds nothing new over the default 172 and in fact is worse, the Mooney adds nothing new over the default bonanza and in fact is worse). The Mooney looks ok, and you can place some stuff around it, that's it, that is all the novum it brings. Compared to the bonanza it has an fm that is worse, an AP that is worse, a Garmin that is default... So where is the value of 30 bucks, if default aircraft are better than Carenado modules and have been developed with more care and time? Plus, it is probably just some reskin/port from their P3D Mooney. Ask yourselves, why no other developer has released an aircraft yet, but Carenado managed to release 2 within one month. For those on the fence, my advice: save your Mooney for something better lol. Carenado is counting on your urge to buy more planes, now that they still have no competition, ppl will be willing to overlook the utter shallowness and haste that has their modules put together and step right into their trap. It's a word not allowed shame that MSFS 3rd party addons are off to a start with the biggest rip-off developer in the FS community. My 2 cents.

Different viewpoints & comments from different people..

bla bla bla.

Please refrain from posting non-sense from other forums. This thread is by a trusted member of the AVSIM community.

I put my trust on an experienced simmer, CFI, reviewer, and revered AVSIM member than a troll looking for attention.

Thank you.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Wow, that was probably the best, most authoritative  review of any FS aircraft I’ve ever read.

I wish all reviews could be like this, written by someone who is obviously not only a highly qualified expert on handling the real aircraft, but also a seasoned sim pilot. It’s rare that the two worlds merge  like this.

If I hadn’t already purchased this aircraft then I certainly would have done after reading this.

I must also agree it’s nice to read a proper old school authoritative review like this than watch some self appointed expert spout nonsense on YouTube.
(Though of course there are also some good, well done reviews done on YouTube )

Well done.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

59 minutes ago, jon b said:

Wow, that was probably the best, most authoritative  review of any FS aircraft I’ve ever read.

I wish all reviews could be like this, written by someone who is obviously not only a highly qualified expert on handling the real aircraft, but also a seasoned sim pilot. It’s rare that the two worlds merge  like this.

If I hadn’t already purchased this aircraft then I certainly would have done after reading this.

I must also agree it’s nice to read a proper old school authoritative review like this than watch some self appointed expert spout nonsense on YouTube.
(Though of course there are also some good, well done reviews done on YouTube )

Well done.

Most of his reviews are very detailed. He wrote on on the Learjet 24B that is also a must read if your a fan of the Learjet. I just wish that Lionheart or Xtreme Prototypes brings their Lear to MSFS 2020.

https://www.avsim.com/home/reviews/aircraft/review-learjet-24b-by-lionheart-creations-ltd-r2543/

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Excellent write up!

Thank you for an interesting read!

• Like 1

I9-13900kf - rtx4090

32gb ddr5 4800mhz, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

internet - 300+ mbs / Honycomb Alpha yoke / Saitek Throttle

Dell 43” 4K 

2 hours ago, Wobbie said:

Well, that's from a real actual user, warts & all, not a professional reviewer/tester. 

Why, kinda maybe.  It's more of a warts-only rant mostly about how it couldn't be any good because it's one of the few third party aircraft released up until now.  Doesn't cite any reasons for the disparaging comments other than referencing the presence of an FM, AP and Garmin in the same half of a sentence.  The rest is diatribe about the company's (assumed) business model and motives, really. 

As a real actual user myself I agree it is not perfect but I do find balance from the positive aspects such as performance numbers being pretty much on point, good sounds (love the exhaust burble at idle on the ground) and an attractive cockpit with steam gauges.  If the other things I like about it - the speed, instrument layout, exterior looks and features such as a speed brake - are items that Mooney should get credit for instead of Carenado, it doesn't mean I'm not happy to have them in this sim.  

I get the totally altruistic approach that we as a collective group of niche consumers should do our part to demonstrate our expectations for quality and price performance, but not necessarily at the cost of scaring away potential vendors by demonstrating pure negativism lol.

Edited by Stoopy
  • Like 3

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!

(duplicate)

Edited by Stoopy

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!

Bought the aircraft yesterday and enjoying it. A more hands light aircraft than default offerings that requires constant flight management and adjustment. Just what I like. Agree that elevator trim is way over sensitive as blinded to an axis on my HOTAS but did find that by setting this within take the off trim zone I could better control pitch using one of my hat switches on the stick to increase/ decrease elevator trim incrementally during flight. Just need to get our sensitivity option back in a hotfix to allow better control of rudder / steering on take off and landing...

• Like 1

On 9/20/2020 at 6:47 AM, Wobbie said:

From Microsoft Flight Simulator site..

The Mooney is another horrible joke from Carenado. Copy pasta aircraft with Carenado skinning, no FM depth, no systems depth... and like the 182 completely overprized at 30 bucks (and like the 182 adds nothing new over the default 172 and in fact is worse, the Mooney adds nothing new over the default bonanza and in fact is worse). The Mooney looks ok, and you can place some stuff around it, that's it, that is all the novum it brings. Compared to the bonanza it has an fm that is worse, an AP that is worse, a Garmin that is default... So where is the value of 30 bucks, if default aircraft are better than Carenado modules and have been developed with more care and time? Plus, it is probably just some reskin/port from their P3D Mooney. Ask yourselves, why no other developer has released an aircraft yet, but Carenado managed to release 2 within one month. For those on the fence, my advice: save your Mooney for something better lol. Carenado is counting on your urge to buy more planes, now that they still have no competition, ppl will be willing to overlook the utter shallowness and haste that has their modules put together and step right into their trap. It's a word not allowed shame that MSFS 3rd party addons are off to a start with the biggest rip-off developer in the FS community. My 2 cents.

Different viewpoints & comments from different people..

After flying the M20R for the past month, I would put the value at $60.  It is a great plane to fly in MSFS 2020. Everything works and the AP is the easiest of any GA plane to use. It has a very comfortable feel about it. I feel that Carenado put a great deal of effort in developing this aircraft, to make it as real as they possibly could. Well worth the money. Excellent job Carenado!

Edited by Michael Evangelo
Misspelled word
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Ray @raymar is yet another gem in the FS world. 

For our new comers, you will soon learn there is a lot of chaff amongst the wheat you must sift through on the FS 'tinternet.  Ray's words are honest golden kernels amongst the chaff- and have been for decades.  His "draft" document is thorough in peculiar style and well worth a read from all interested in the Mooney. While not nearly in his league, I too am a fan of the Mooney and remain optimistic that @Carenado will eventually finish it.  At this point it is a great value for the money spent, and I for one am looking forward to the twin lurking in the shadows.

C

• Like 1

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper