Sign in to follow this  
mauriceb

DEFAULT COCKPIT VIEW. Can you get there with one key

Is there any way to assign one key on any controller to always bring you back to the default cockpit view, no matter what external view you are coming from. I have literally spent hours upon hours to find it to no avail.

So, does anybody know if there is a ‘magic’ key assignment that can always bring you back to the default cockpit view? Toggle VFR Cockpit mode does not do it, Cockpit/External view mode only works if you are in the regular external view and not in an external fixed camera view,  and VFR pilot view reset does not work either. 

In fact, I often get in situations where the only way to get back to the default cockpit view is to do it via the top menu bar on top of the screen, which is rather awkward on short final.  There must be an easier way.

Thank you.

Edited by mauriceb
Resolved:

Best I can do, is a combination of two buttons which are both mapped to my yoke:

- Cockpit/External View Mode

- Reset Cockpit view

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Bert

I think there is. Map the Save custom position to a key and Load custom position to another key. Then save the default cockpit position as a custom position and you can load it from anywhere, even external view.

24 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Best I can do, is a combination of two buttons which are both mapped to my yoke:

- Cockpit/External View Mode

- Reset Cockpit view

I don’t see a Reset Cockpit view button, but if you meant VFR Pilot view reset, then that is what I have and it does not always work. If for instance, if you go to an external fixed view like under the belly of the aircraft for instance,  to get back to the pilot view is sometimes impossible depending on what button(s) you have pressed before. Occasionally, I can get back, but sometimes the only way back is with the menu bar. At any rate, one button that works all the time is the ideal scenario, but I doubt this is possible. I have tried hundreds of combinations and so far, no luck 😕

I9-13900K, RTX 4090, Reverb G2, Simrig Motion platform

21 minutes ago, illidanx said:

I think there is. Map the Save custom position to a key and Load custom position to another key. Then save the default cockpit position as a custom position and you can load it from anywhere, even external view.

Sorry, can’t understand what you are saying. “Load custom position to another key” ???  I saved the default cockpit position to a key, and I can recall it inside the cockpit, but not if I am in an outside view like a fixed position under the belly of the aircraft for instance. Recalling the saved position does nothing.

But maybe that is not what you are saying?

1 hour ago, mauriceb said:

Is there any way to assign one key on any controller to always bring you back to the default cockpit view, no matter what external view you are coming from. I have literally spent hours upon hours to find it to no avail.

So, does anybody know if there is a ‘magic’ key assignment that can always bring you back to the default cockpit view? Toggle VFR Cockpit mode does not do it, Cockpit/External view mode only works if you are in the regular external view and not in an external fixed camera view,  and VFR pilot view reset does not work either. 

In fact, I often get in situations where the only way to get back to the default cockpit view is to do it via the top menu bar on top of the screen, which is rather awkward on short final.  There must be an easier way.

Thank you.

Edit: To clarify my post, I know there are many ways to get back to the default cockpit view. I only want to know if there is just ONE key assignment that will get you there no matter where you are inside or outside or with the drone.

Second Edit: Sorry, but I created my post using an old Avsim account. My current Avsim account is MauBen, not MauriceB

Edited by MauBen
Wrong user account

11 minutes ago, MauBen said:

Sorry, can’t understand what you are saying. “Load custom position to another key” ???  I saved the default cockpit position to a key, and I can recall it inside the cockpit, but not if I am in an outside view like a fixed position under the belly of the aircraft for instance. Recalling the saved position does nothing.

But maybe that is not what you are saying?

That was what I was saying. For me, the "Load custom position (0 to 9)" button will bring me back to my saved position inside the cockpit even if I'm currently outside. Not sure why it doesnt work for you.

1 hour ago, MauBen said:

I don’t see a Reset Cockpit view button, but if you meant VFR Pilot view reset, then that is what I have and it does not always work.

In my install, it is called "Reset Cockpit View".. when searching, make sure you have "all" options selected, not just "assigned" 😉

Bert

36 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

In my install, it is called "Reset Cockpit View".. when searching, make sure you have "all" options selected, not just "assigned" 😉

Ok, I found the reset cockpit view assignment but it does not bring me back to the cockpit if I am in an outside view. This is very strange.

1 hour ago, illidanx said:

That was what I was saying. For me, the "Load custom position (0 to 9)" button will bring me back to my saved position inside the cockpit even if I'm currently outside. Not sure why it doesnt work for you.

I don't know either. I tried that dozens of times and that never works.

Use custom cameras.  You can assign any camera you want to all the numbers 0-9.  Move the camera to where you want it in the cockpit (I raise up the view to be more realistic) and hit ctrl-alt-0 (zero is always my cockpit view).  Then I map a button on my joystick to load custom camera 0.  When I hit it even in external view it brings me back (does not work in showcase mode).  Ignore the reset default position, as those views aren't great anyway, you want a button to always take you back into your main cockpit view, FS doesn't do that by default, so make your own.  

The camera system is actually really powerful in FS, but it isn't really explained.  You can make 10 custom camera options in any aircraft and it only takes a minute or two.  

Edited by kerosene31
  • Like 1

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

42 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

If I move my view inside the cockpit, the reset brings me back. But if go outside, reset does nothing. I can toggle the view from outside to inside, but if am in the default outside view and I change to the fixed view under the belly for instance, I can't get back to the cockpit with one button. I have to cycle through other buttons before I can get back. And sometimes, nothing I do with the buttons on the yoke bring me back to the cockpit. I have to use the toolbar on top.

Anyway, thanks for trying. I think Ill give up on the idea of one button to go back to cockpit. It just does not work for me 🙄

1 minute ago, MauBen said:

Ok, I found the reset cockpit view assignment but it does not bring me back to the cockpit if I am in an outside view. This is very strange.

Doesn't the "End" key, by default, go between cockpit/VC and external view?

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

6 minutes ago, kerosene31 said:

Use custom cameras.  You can assign any camera you want to all the numbers 0-9.  Move the camera to where you want it in the cockpit (I raise up the view to be more realistic) and hit ctrl-alt-0 (zero is always my cockpit view).  Then I map a button on my joystick to load custom camera 0.  When I hit it even in external view it brings me back (does not work in showcase mode).  Ignore the reset default position, as those views aren't great anyway, you want a button to always take you back into your main cockpit view, FS doesn't do that by default, so make your own.  

The camera system is actually really powerful in FS, but it isn't really explained.  You can make 10 custom camera options in any aircraft and it only takes a minute or two.  

I know about making custom cameras. But the view I like is in the showcase mode (fixed camera under the belly). So, if that does not work, you have answered my question. I thought it was only me 🙂

2 minutes ago, Mace said:

Doesn't the "End" key, by default, go between cockpit/VC and external view?

End key never does the same thing for me anyway. . I just tried it and what it does depends on where I am. It does not bring me back to the default cockpit view in every occasion.