Sign in to follow this  
Paul Anderegg

Theoretical specifications to run 4K 60fps Ultra glitch-free

Hello, my first post. :)

So much talk about CPU vs GPU bottlenecks, and less than perfectly optimized coding...makes me curious what would be the theoretical specs necessary to run FS2020 at 4K Ultra maxxed out to 60 frames per second, without any dips or drops or glithes, in the most demanding scenario possible in the sim?  How about 8K 60fps Ultra?

I understand NOTHING currently available allows this, so this is more of a brain boggler to see what type of crazy processing is required to reach those framerates.  6GHz single core CPU speed?  RTX 4090?  Have the limitation causing glitching and frame rendering slow down been reasonably enough identified to theorize about this?

Paul

• Like 1

Since the sim downloads data from Microsoft/Asobo servers to perform its various tasks, CPU and GPU bottlenecks are not the only considerations limiting performance. But, still, you've posed a very good and interesting question. 

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

There is no way of answering your question..

But there are plenty of reports on Avsim of users getting good performance with currently available hardware.

Bert

5 hours ago, David Mills said:

Since the sim downloads data from Microsoft/Asobo servers to perform its various tasks, CPU and GPU bottlenecks are not the only considerations limiting performance. But, still, you've posed a very good and interesting question. 

It only downloads scenery information and that doesn't have any significant performance impact. Try flying the Zlin Savage Cub at lowest graphics settings and resolution. You'll get 10x FPS than let's say in Ultra 4k using a A320.

I don`t think a 3090 will give you min 60fps in 4K ULTRA HD.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Very interesting question - I have been wondering the same. I am running quite well with an i7 7700k, 1080ti and 32gb at some point will buy a new PC. Surely Asobo will have been able to run the game at 60 FPS & 4k with sliders maxed, or not?

• Like 1

In theory, a 10700K with appropriate cooling (it won't sustain its turbo speed very long on the factory cooler) with a 3080RTX should do that trick. However, you will still run into areas where the CPU won't hold 60FPS, it's just the nature of fight sims, especially with add-ons, where requirements are somewhat open ended...

Edited by Colonel X

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB