Sign in to follow this  
thepitts

Where is the Apt Dat file ?

...And equally important. How can you edit it ?

I have the familiar problem of the Tower view being blocked and want to raise it. I understand I need to alter the end of line 14 where the height (? feet ? metres)of the tower view is set. Is the apt data available to edit direct from the installed files or do you need to use WED. Any advice gratefully received.

Tim

Hi,

you can find the _apt.dat file_ in your custom scenery / global airports / earth nav data  folder.

Or if it's an add-on airport, find it in its respective _earth nav data_ folder.

You can open and edit apt.dat files with a text editor like notepad++.

Edited by Macpah

Easiest and safest way to do this is to use WED. Basically, create your own package inside WED for the airport and then choose "Import from Gateway" and grab the latest gateway version (which is probably the same as the one in apt.dat), then you can just modify it as you like without it being overwritten on every update.

I do this regularly to remove forests and ground polys that are in the default airports that look ugly.