Sign in to follow this  
Colonel X

8K cockpit shadows for 1080ti/2080ti users.

43 minutes ago, James Callan said:

Thanks! With a 1660 ti with 6 gb, I stayed conservative, using 4096.  What a difference! My cockpit shadows in VL3 were crazy serrated vibrating messes.  Now I have a crisp realistic shadow from direct sun in the cockpit.  Have to try out other aircraft now.  Thanks again.

Yeah it's inconceivable to me they only included 2048 in the "slider".

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

Not working for me. I edit the file as instructed and save it. Start MSFS and during the loading process, it is changed back to 2048. I do recall that it worked prior to patch 2. I'm guessing something was changed in patch 2 with regards to this.

Bummer. It looked very nice on my 2080 Ti.

...jim

ASUS Prime Z790-E, Intel i9 13900K, 32Gb DDR5 Ram, Nvidia 3090 24Gb, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB and 1 TB, Samsung Odyssey G9 Ultrawide 49" G-SYNC Monitor.

8192 is working great for me.  I don't think the cockpit shadows could be any better now actually.  So I won't try 16384. 😁

This is with a 1080Ti at 1440 and 120 scaling.  Seemingly no performance hit (although more likely to consume VRAM as the Colonel says).

UserCfg.opt is also holding the shadow settings without getting overwritten.  Sharpen is also holding at 0. 

Does anyone know what 'Fringe' does in the Config file?

I am trying the NVidia filters.  I haven't found a setting I really like yet, but I will keep experimenting.  I currently have sharpen at 75% and grain at 50%.  I notice a lot of artifacts are now gone which is great.  

If only I could sharpen a bit more without getting what looks like extra bloom on the cockpit instrument text, I would be happy.  Aberration is fun on lower settings and seems to give the image extra depth or character somehow - not sure if I will keep it.

Thanks Colonel for the heads up on this! 👍

PS.  I wish the hotkey wasn't Alt-F3.  One tap on Alt-F4 by mistake and the sim is gone - I never knew you could quit so quickly LOL! 

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

9 hours ago, James Callan said:

Thanks! With a 1660 ti with 6 gb, I stayed conservative, using 4096.  What a difference! My cockpit shadows in VL3 were crazy serrated vibrating messes.  Now I have a crisp realistic shadow from direct sun in the cockpit.  Have to try out other aircraft now.  Thanks again.

Brilliant... will be trying 4096 on my 1660 Super. 😁

spacer.png

MSI Codex 5 10SC-262UK Desktop PC - Intel Core i7-10700, RTX 2060 Graphics, 16GB RAM, 2TB HDD, 256GB SSD.

9 hours ago, James Callan said:

Brilliant... will be trying 4096 on my 1660 Super. 😁

spacer.png

MSI Codex 5 10SC-262UK Desktop PC - Intel Core i7-10700, RTX 2060 Graphics, 16GB RAM, 2TB HDD, 256GB SSD.

Good info; does this just alter the VC shadow texture resolution, or all the shadows, such as outside, clouds, etc etc?

Thanks for any help,

Simon

Simon

3 minutes ago, simon747 said:

Good info; does this just alter the VC shadow texture resolution, or all the shadows, such as outside, clouds, etc etc?

Thanks for any help,

Simon

Not completely sure, but the only ones you really see at close distance are in the cockpit/flight deck, and maybe a bit out on the wings, so this is where it has the desired effect. 👍

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

4 minutes ago, Carts85 said:

What software is everyone using to open UserCfg.opt?

It's a text file.  I used Notepad++ but l'm guessing plain old Notepad would work just fine too.

8 minutes ago, Carts85 said:

notepad 😉

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Carts85 said:

Just Notepad will do.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

Not completely sure, but the only ones you really see at close distance are in the cockpit/flight deck, and maybe a bit out on the wings, so this is where it has the desired effect. 👍

Ok, thanks for the response, I have my shadows set at a low setting at less than 713 or something in the ui; I use 4k, do you know if this hurt performance at 4k? I have a 2080ti.

Thanks.

Simon

Edited by simon747

Simon

36 minutes ago, simon747 said:

Ok, thanks for the response, I have my shadows set at a low setting at less than 713 or something in the ui; I use 4k, do you know if this hurt performance at 4k? I have a 2080ti.

Thanks.

Simon

I am using 8192 shadows on a 1080Ti at 1440 and 120 scaling, and it doesn't seem to affect my performance.  More likely to eat into your VRAM apparently.

On 9/21/2020 at 9:20 AM, JimBrown said:

Not working for me. I edit the file as instructed and save it. Start MSFS and during the loading process, it is changed back to 2048. I do recall that it worked prior to patch 2. I'm guessing something was changed in patch 2 with regards to this.

Bummer. It looked very nice on my 2080 Ti.

...jim

Did you set the file as read only? If not it always resets... at least for me. 

Edited by UAL4life