Sign in to follow this  
ComSimPilot

Why scenery developers focus on MSFS instead of P3D?

4 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

Considering how popular various scenery enhancements are, and that Orbx base, true-Earth and airports are pretty much acknowledged requirements, not to mention cloud beautification and tree and water and weather products, it seems fairly well established that pretty pictures are pretty much everyone's thing.

Then please go for MS2020. There is an entire forum for you guys under MS2020. That is a good place to giggle and go ohhhh...AHHHH!!!

• Upvote 2

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

11 minutes ago, shivers9 said:

That is a good place to giggle and go ohhhh...AHHHH!!!

I was under the impression that people could go ohhh, and AHHH!!! in any sub forum, if they were so inclined.

I do avoid giggling, however, as I prefer to go "tee-hee". 🤨

Edited by HiFlyer
  • Like 4

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

FlyTampa  have just released SYDNEY V2 P3D4-5, RFscenery are rolling out P3DV5 airports.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

So, I'll just add this to our discussion; I don't know what this means for the future from ORBX re P3d v5, but there was an update planned back in May to replace and enhance the missing bridges in the Vancouver area, with more accurate models in the PNW scenery. With the release of MSFS, it (as of yet) hasn't materialized. I have inquired a couple of times and, at length have finally received this response : "

Nothing has changed from our statement back in April regarding v5 updates:

We will work on the remaining products to get them up to v5 compatibility. This is not a commitment or guarantee that all products will be made available for v5. Regardless, we will endeavour to make all of them compatible but there may be instances where this may not be possible. ”  So take of that what you will. I hope they're not done with P3d...

It seems to me that with lack of high quality MSFS aircraft from 3rd party developers, that 3rd party airport designers are now having second thoughts about ditching p3d5.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

It seems to me that with lack of high quality MSFS aircraft from 3rd party developers, that 3rd party airport designers are now having second thoughts about ditching p3d5.

I hope you're right

• Upvote 1

On 10/5/2020 at 6:04 PM, shivers9 said:

Then please go for MS2020. There is an entire forum for you guys under MS2020. That is a good place to giggle and go ohhhh...AHHHH!!!

You know your post history is visible right?  That people can see you've posted in the MSFS subforum, mostly to throw tomatoes from the sidelines?  Kinda makes pleas for people to go to "their forum" ring more than a little hollow.

As to the OP's title question, it's not really hard to understand at all.  If you believe the estimate of Mathijs Kok at Aerosoft, there's about 20,000 "recreational" users of P3D.  Let's even assume that estimate is too conservative, and double it to 40,000.

MSFS crossed the million user mark weeks ago, gets far more mainstream attention, is still growing (and will get another spike in interest when the console port releases), and has a built-in marketplace that gives third-party creations a lot of prominent attention in fromt of users' eyes.  When a data error caused a weird sinkhole to the center of the planet to open up in Brazil, CNN covered it.  That's mainstream attention you just don't have with P3D or XP11.

Regardless of the buggy state of MSFS right now (and boy is it buggy), I suspect you'll also find that a lot of people still consider it to be the longer-term future platform for the hobby, and are reluctant to spend more on payware for P3D or XP11 while they wait for that future to fully take shape.  Throw in that 3PDs have a POTENTIAL audience for their products that is over 25x bigger (and that's if we assume that larger 40,000 number for P3D), and the business case isn't difficult to figure out here.

I don't think either platform is in any danger of being abandoned by third parties, so long as there's evidence of a meaningfully large userbase.  But I'm not at all surprised that a lot of third parties are shifting to focus their business more on MSFS, even if stuff like the SDK isn't quite ready for them.

• Like 4

Developing for MSFS may be the financially sensible option at the moment, but third party developers need to think very carefully before they completely abandon P3D and XPlane. Microsoft have walked away from flight simulation before, and they could do it again.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Sure fast money can be made now when releasing MSFS airports. 
But before buying larger airports I first want the AP to work correctly and unfortunately that is scheduled for update 9 ( December )....

I won’t fly with the TBM or a Cessna ou/to larger airports...

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

I have recently switched from my PMDG airliners to the A2A Piper Cherokee 180, but I still intend to visit large airports like London Heathrow and Amsterdam Schiphol. If the ATC controllers don't like it, I have a few choice words specially prepar3d for the occasion :laugh:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

3 hours ago, Scottoest said:

MSFS crossed the million user mark

I would take that with a grain of salt, because - at least that's what I heard - the number didn't represent regular users, but rather people that "have tried it", or something along those lines. I do believe MSFS has higher sales numbers than P3D, but most likely not 1 mio vs. 40k.

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else

4 minutes ago, d.tsakiris said:

I would take that with a grain of salt, because - at least that's what I heard - the number didn't represent regular users, but rather people that "have tried it", or something along those lines. I do believe MSFS has higher sales numbers than P3D, but most likely not 1 mio vs. 40k.

Over a million people have downloaded and used MSFS for some period of time.  Microsoft use this number instead of normal retail sales numbers, because all of their games also come to Game Pass now.

The "active" or "frequent" users number would be lower, but that would also be the case for P3D.

1 hour ago, GSalden said:

Sure fast money can be made now when releasing MSFS airports. 
But before buying larger airports I first want the AP to work correctly and unfortunately that is scheduled for update 9 ( December )....

I won’t fly with the TBM or a Cessna ou/to larger airports...

I'm sure there are lots of people waiting for reliably simulated tubeliners to come to MSFS before they consider buying airports and stuff, and that's completely reasonable.

2 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

Microsoft have walked away from flight simulation before, and they could do it again.

You are right, MS could do that. And LM could enforce the licensing restrictions. Austin could be killed in a car accident.

It's all in the cards.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 5

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

It is good to see that we are seeing P3Dv5 compatible addons appear :

- FT Sydney

- Adelaide Intl

- Ultimate Terrain

- Dayton Ohio

- Helsinki Vanta

- Tenerife Vol 1 + Vol 2

- Barcelona El Prat

And multiple others

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

@GSaldenI think I missed the Dayton OH one.  Who makes it?

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next