Sign in to follow this  
ComSimPilot

Why scenery developers focus on MSFS instead of P3D?

Looking at Simmarket I see that releases of P3Dv5 scenery is going up.

I am not a scenery developer but if a developer has made a scenery in his development tool than he has to compile it to a sim platform. 
With not too much changes scenery can be compiled to multiple platforms. That we see happening as P3D addons are very fast modified for MSFS...

Regarding Ken he tells his experience regarding his sales.

As the development of MSFS is slow and jerflying is not on par with other flightsims I don’t think that major addon airports will be sold a lot for MSFS. 

PMDG and HiFiSimtech are not having products for MSFS for a longer time so I think that when P3Dv5.1 is released with a complete EA people will also fly that sim.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Some are talking like P3D has no developement and is remaining static.

How do the MSF fantrolls always babble?
"Just give 'em time!"

• Upvote 1

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

30 minutes ago, GSalden said:

As the development of MSFS is slow and jerflying is not on par with other flightsims I don’t think that major addon airports will be sold a lot for MSFS. 

This must be some kind of joke. MSFS was released 8 weeks ago and we have seen, what, 4 or 5 patches?? 

P3D V5 has been out for 6 months and we don't have a clue when EA, DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG crashes and other major issues will get fixed.

As for your second point, besides Orbx and Aerosoft, FSDreamTeam has clearly stated that their KORD offering on MSFS sold much more than P3D's version.

Not that suprising when you combine the convenience of purchasing add-ons directly on the sim coupled with a much larger userbase.

Edited by GCBraun

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

Hooray about the 4 or 5 patches who fixed some things and broke other things. Thats what the MSFS user wants. All good as long as the devs update their fixlist about upcoming patches (Spoiler: 80% of this list reads "NOT STARTED" in combination with "BACKLOG")

That DEVICE_HUNG issues are nearly always hardware/system issues do you know, yes? Of course, with DX11 and constantly down-dumbing the graphic engine of MSFS with each patch you won't run into them in your VFR sim ...

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

PMDG just announced that the NG3 for MSFS is expected to be "12+ months away" and FSL stated that they're committed to P3D. 

This will bind many users to P3D and make some of them come back, especially as new products are released (like the A320/A321 with sharklets, B777-200ER, etc.). Which makes development of sceneries more economically viable.

Drzewiecki Design just released Tokyo-Narita for P3D with Haneda in development.

Good times ahead.

😎

Edited by thepilot
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Scottoest said:

Howdy folks,

Happened to be reading a thread on the OrbX forums (discussing their plans or lack thereof for the various sims), and came across a two posts from Ken Hall, an actual scenery developer, and thought of this thread.  It perhaps sheds the first bit of direct light on the sales situation (that I've seen?), and why scenery devs aren't as focused on P3D or XP right now.  I highlighted the relevant bits.

It's rather evident why the shift to MSFS development occurred.

The only problem I have is that in no way is MSFS ready for airliner flights similar to P3D, even with the FlyByWire mod for the A32N.
As such all the medium, large and huge airport sceneries being released for MSFS hold no appeal right now. I don't want to fly a C152 or a DA62 into LOWG, KDEN or CYVR.

Fortunately, FlyTampa, FSimStudios and Drzewiecki Design have all announced upcoming releases for products designed for both P3D and MSFS.

So long as there are some quality projects for P3D still envisaged to come to market (I mean, PMDG recently announced it was turning its attention back to P3D for now), then I don't mind that the rate of product releases has slowed in favour of MSFS. It's always been the case that whenever a newer, shinier flight sim appears, the emphasis is switched to it.

Just hope that developers don't spend all of their efforts on MSFS. Small GA airfields and cityscapes are the only products I'm looking at for MSFS until the quality airliners show up in the new sim.

Now, if only LM would hurry up and give us v5.1...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

1 hour ago, GCBraun said:

This must be some kind of joke. MSFS was released 8 weeks ago and we have seen, what, 4 or 5 patches?? 

P3D V5 has been out for 6 months and we don't have a clue when EA, DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG crashes and other major issues will get fixed.

As for your second point, besides Orbx and Aerosoft, FSDreamTeam has clearly stated that their KORD offering on MSFS sold much more than P3D's version.

Not that suprising when you combine the convenience of purchasing add-ons directly on the sim coupled with a much larger userbase.

This is far from a yoke. MSFS after 4 patches has still a lot of issues. I cannot fly the 787 at all in a normal way.

P3D has had 2 HF that solved most issues. 
Myself I have No issues with P3Dv5 or earlier versions. 
If you read about the DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG crashes (here and at the official LM forums) then you will see that it happens when users use very high settings icw higher display frequencies.

Regarding sales : it does not matter what addon for which sim sells more. Addon developers never bet on 1 horse. So if they can sell for MSFS and P3D and XP without too much work they will ...

I think that it is good if a certain airport sells good for MSFS the developers might also release it for P3Dv5. Or the other way round.

Edited by GSalden

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

13 minutes ago, thepilot said:

PMDG just announced that the NG3 for MSFS is expected to be "12+ months away" and FSL stated that they're committed to P3D. 

This will bind many users to P3D and make some of them come back, especially as new products are released (like the A320/A321 with sharklets, B777-200ER, etc.). Which makes development of sceneries more economically viable.

Drzewiecki Design just released Tokyo-Narita for P3D with Haneda in development.

Good times ahead.

😎

For sure the existing pipeline of products will get released and there may very well be new offerings here and there of major hubs. When it comes to GA and smaller/medium sized fields though, based on openly available feedback, there is currently no reason for develoeprs to start new projects focusing on P3D.

As I have said before, I will keep using P3D for the foreseeable future precisely because of PMDG's and FSLabs of the world, but will limit my future purchases dramatically. 

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

4 minutes ago, GCBraun said:

based on openly available feedback

Which open available feedback are you referring to?

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else

6 minutes ago, d.tsakiris said:

Which open available feedback are you referring to?

Orbx's, Aerosoft's and FSDreamTeam's (at least).

Edited by GCBraun

Well...of course MSFS' market is booming. It started at zero. Of course that has an impact on the other sims. But I think we will have to wait another year or so to see how things play out. I don't think it will stay like this.

• Like 1

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else

1 hour ago, d.tsakiris said:

Well...of course MSFS' market is booming. It started at zero. Of course that has an impact on the other sims. But I think we will have to wait another year or so to see how things play out. I don't think it will stay like this.

Maybe because, despite it's initial flaws, it a much better platform than for devs than legacy sims.

A dev at the FTX forums stated how sales for P3D have dried since the release of MSFS.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

10 minutes ago, DJJose said:

Maybe because, despite it's initial flaws, it a much better platform than for devs than legacy sims.

A dev at the FTX forums stated how sales for P3D have dried since the release of MSFS.

No surprise there.  P3D was a niche inside a niche.  I had a great time with v4 and previous but even with the current state of the new sim, p3d looks eons old.  I can't go back.  Even xp11... Which was pretty nice, I hardly can go back to that haha.

• Like 2

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

13 minutes ago, DJJose said:

That doesn't seem to be the case, at least not for all aspects of the sim. Scenery - sure, I can believe that MSFS has an advantage. But for other add-ons - not so much.

• Upvote 3

Best regards, Dimitrios

The fact that we are 12+ months from seeing PMDG/FSlabs means I'm 12+ months from using my copy of MSFS too much.  I highly doubt Maddog X will be able to get it out earlier either.  Same with TFDi.  If you had told me this just a few months ago I would have been highly surprised.  Perhaps even disappointed.  But I've got a massive collection of added fine tuned to my preferences.  I'm more than content 

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next