Sign in to follow this  
ComSimPilot

Why scenery developers focus on MSFS instead of P3D?

4 hours ago, F737NG said:

Mass appeal only would lead to a sim that has GTA V -style flight dynamics or limited world / maps like the Call of Duty flying missions.

Or like..... Actual profits enough to make all of this expenditure honestly worthwhile for once?

I've wondered for years if we truly believe we're such a cool and deserving group that companies just about owe us a sim for free as a birthday present.

Now, assuming such an unlikely thing had a chance in heck of being so, one would at least hope we behaved with a bit more gratitude than the hold-them-by-the-nose-and-kick-them in the unmentionables that a lot of these threads devolve to.... 😀

Edited by HiFlyer
  • Like 2

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

7 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

Or like..... Actual profits enough to make all of this expenditure honestly worthwhile for once?

I've wondered for years if we truly believe we're such a cool and deserving group that companies just about owe us a sim for free as a birthday present.

Now, assuming such an unlikely thing had a chance in heck of being so, one would at least hope we behaved with a bit more gratitude than the hold-them-by-the-nose-and-kick-them in the unmentionables that a lot of these threads devolve to.... 😀

I think that's the wrong point of view. It's more like (for myself anyways); some of these companies have been around under different names since FS 98 and others have emerged with the tech. We have purchased their products to enhance our simulators. Now we are at a point where we have two simulators (p3d v5 and MSFS), both new releases, BUT those of us who have helped these 3rd party developers gain and maintain a loyal clientele, who have decided to remain usinf P3d , feel abandoned in favour of the new shiny thing. Our money is worth the same. Our money (in part) helped these developers become successful (as well as their good programming skills) . Understand, that this situation leaves a bit of a bitter taste. Hopefully, things will find balance.

Edited by Boeingnut

I believe MSFS 2020 is exciting for now but I am sure prepar has got something up thier sleeves that will make MSFS look like a board game soon enough believe  this is the opportunity for a new developer to develope for prepar since other developers have went to MSFS 2020 

2 hours ago, goodperson36 said:

I believe MSFS 2020 is exciting for now but I am sure prepar has got something up thier sleeves that will make MSFS look like a board game soon enough believe this is the opportunity for a new developer to develope for prepar since other developers have went to MSFS 2020 

Sorry posted in wrong forum ignore.

Edited by jbdbow1970

14 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

Who said that they shouldn't? But if a flight sim developer really wants to make significant profits, they're better off making content that supports AAA games - that's where the mass appeal lies. However, they won't because their passion is to recreate realistic flight.

Flight simming is a niche and it had become increasingly so. As I said in an earlier post, it's about finding the right balance. It took an outsider in the shape of gaming developer Asobo to try and bring the best elements of gaming and flight simming together.

They brought us a platform where what appears on screen resembles what the average gamer expects to see in 2020. They also worked on getting away from gaming-style flight dynamics in a title designed for a wider audience.

That combination increases it's popularity and brings in the potential number of buyers and sales to a level not seen before. If Asobo deliver on their promises, it's a win-win for everyone.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

On 10/19/2020 at 6:36 PM, Boeingnut said:

Our money is worth the same. Our money (in part) helped these developers become successful (as well as their good programming skills) . Understand, that this situation leaves a bit of a bitter taste. Hopefully, things will find balance.

But the reality is, our (P3D users) money is not worth the same. As it has been pointed out previously by several developers on this forum, P3D addon sales have been word not allowed.

Hypothetically speaking, say I was at a job making say $5.00 usd an hour and I had been at this job a long time, but recently they have been having trouble paying me. An opportunity arises for me to make $20.00 usd an hour for doing very similar work but for a competitor. If I had a family to feed, why would I stick with the lessor paying job? Out of some chivalric code that since they have employed me for so long that I owe it to them to never leave?

I just don’t understand the mentality that because a person purchased something from some place in the past, that the seller than owes the customer some sort of implied loyalty factor. No, you purchase a product, and you are owed service and support for the explicit timeframe that was in your contract, not a loyalty contact that now you have purchased and enjoyed their add on that they MUST release a new one on your favorite platform of choice otherwise they are doing you some sort of wrong.

Anyhow, we can all feel some sort of way about it and get all in our feelings or we can recognize that things have changed if MSFS sales numbers continue to do well AND if add on sales for it do well.

I am guilty of it...I picked up the nado 182 and the Mooney (best single engine piston in the game atm which speaks volumes) as well as Latin VFR KSAN.

Meanwhile I have tons of stuff I purchased during all the covid sales that I have barely even touched such as the Flysimware MU-2, or the Leonardo MadDog that I have like 3 hours total in to go fly in my V5 to keep me busy for a long time.

Also I’d buy a JS41 for any modern platform PMDG...just saying is all #BringMeMyJetstream

Edited by CaptainNick
  • Upvote 1

Nick Silver

http://www.youtube.com/user/socalf1fan

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ram, RTX 3080 FE, HP Reverb G2 v2, 4K Tv Monitor

2 hours ago, CaptainNick said:

I just don’t understand the mentality that because a person purchased something from some place in the past, that the seller than owes the customer some sort of implied loyalty factor. No, you purchase a product, and you are owed service and support for the explicit timeframe that was in your contract, not a loyalty contact that now you have purchased and enjoyed their add on that they MUST release a new one on your favorite platform of choice otherwise they are doing you some sort of wrong.

I completely agree with this. At the same time I understand @Boeingnut's disappointment. I feel similarly 'left out' by the rush to MSFS by developers. However, I do not expect anything from developers. I can hope that they continue supporting P3D, but it's not up to me and the fact that I bought an addon certainly doesn't mean that they owe me anything but the product I paid for, which was an addon released at a certain time, for a certain platform. I can only expect that they fix bugs in an appropriate timeframe. I can hope that an update is issued for a new platform and that it will be free or at a cost that is proportionate to the extra work performed to make it compatible. Does it make me happy to pay extra? Usually no, of course I want everything for free. I would also like a private jet and a monthly allowance of $100.000. But I can't expect addon developers to just give me stuff that is outside the purchase agreement. Similarly, I do not expect free upgrades of my standalone version of Microsoft Office outside of bug fixes and the like, which are directly related to the function of the software that I paid for. Why would it be different for P3D addon developers?

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case