Sign in to follow this  
Tom_L

Performance gain 1.8.3.0 by sacrificing LOD radius?

I can't pinpoint it but I've got a feeling that part of the performance gain with the last patch stems from sacrificing LOD radius. Maybe I'm overly critic here but has anyone else noticed that buildings and trees "growing" into the scene is more obvious than before? Just want to check before going the ZenDesk-road...

• Like 4

Gigabyte Aorus Z390Master, i9-9900k @ 5.1 Ghz all cores, RTX 2080, 32 GB RAM

Honestly no, I haven't noticed more frequent pop-in of objects.

There may be different "feelings" but without videos of before/after in the same conditions they should not be considered proof.

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5

80 seems sufficient for IFR. Super fast.

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

The LOD was for sure reduced by several percent, some screenshots in the official forums proof this. 

• Like 2

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

1 hour ago, MrFuzzy said:

Honestly no, I haven't noticed more frequent pop-in of objects.

There may be different "feelings" but without videos of before/after in the same conditions they should not be considered proof.

My first thought after first take-off after i installed the patch was... did i adjusted the LOD slider. The answer was no so... they messed with it. Period.

Gain in smoothness comes at a price... always. We payed with something and LOD is one of them.

• Like 3

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base & hegykc MFG Crosswind modded pedals, TrackIR4, no more VR

2 hours ago, Tom_L said:

I can't pinpoint it but I've got a feeling that part of the performance gain with the last patch stems from sacrificing LOD radius. Maybe I'm overly critic here but has anyone else noticed that buildings and trees "growing" into the scene is more obvious than before? Just want to check before going the ZenDesk-road...

Yes I noticed it right away.

Is that how they "improve" performance? Reducing the sliders in the code? Jeez...

Is there any way to get the old version back?

Because the old version was:

1) better looking

2) better performance (yes!) on my machine (i7 8700K + 1080ti)

3) flyable with airliners (sort of)

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

I believe they did too. There was a big thread about it in the msfs forums. The LOD has definitely been reduced and I run it at max 200!

I think it was reduced to support those with lower end systems but I have a high end system so have to take the hit in quality as well even though I could run everything maxed out before the patch.

Edited by sanh

32 minutes ago, flightsim1818 said:

Is that how they "improve" performance? Reducing the sliders in the code? Jeez...

Is there any way to get the old version back?

Because the old version was:

1) better looking

2) better performance (yes!) on my machine (i7 8700K + 1080ti)

3) flyable with airliners (sort of)

I'm running the pre-patch, was on vacation..so didn't download it.  I am going to see, if I can run the sim without connecting to the Net.   As far as my version knows...there is no dead-loop-must-update patch out there....I think what they did....and that they force you to update, before the dead-loop goes away, is dreadful.  People bought this sim on visuals...I spent $183.00 to get the visuals they (for months) teased us with.  That they dumbed down the sim to FSX-Plus, is dreadful...and I akin it to literally Bait and Switch.  Dreadful...and I am reading that water now looks like XP11.... It's looking more and more to me...that we all paid for a Beta, and they're still messing around with the code, JUST LIKE IF IT WERE BETA.   What a laugh....

Edited by Sesquashtoo
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Sesquashtoo said:

That they dumbed down the sim to FSX-Plus, is dreadful...

Sure. Are you high?

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

1 hour ago, Sesquashtoo said:

I'm running the pre-patch, was on vacation..so didn't download it.  I am going to see, if I can run the sim without connecting to the Net.   As far as my version knows...there is no dead-loop-must-update patch out there....I think what they did....and that they force you to update, before the dead-loop goes away, is dreadful.  People bought this sim on visuals...I spent $183.00 to get the visuals they (for months) teased us with.  That they dumbed down the sim to FSX-Plus, is dreadful...and I akin it to literally Bait and Switch.  Dreadful...and I am reading that water now looks like XP11.... It's looking more and more to me...that we all paid for a Beta, and they're still messing around with the code, JUST LIKE IF IT WERE BETA.   What a laugh....

FSX plus? Get real dude, it’s nowhere close to that and you know it. The dramatics are a good touch though.

• Like 1

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

All of you who have noticed this, if you have any pictures before the second patch, take some new pictures and show us. I’m curious to see exactly what was taken from Everton in terms of LOD.

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

I had that feeling too. Seemed like tree coverage was less dense on medium distance.

Funny part. My fps went down from 45 to 35... lol

Edited by tweekz

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved