Sign in to follow this  
daparkerSD

Avionics dead on M20 for MSFS

I purchased the Carenado Mooney for MSFS and started it up. I started the Avionics and everything came on. Beautiful panel.  Within 5 minutes all avionics died. No Garmin and no NAVCOM radios. Nothing. Attempts to restart them were fruitless. I restarted MSFS and restarted a flight with the Mooney. The avionics now would not turn on at all. I had nothing connected other than Alpha yoke, TM TQ and TM rudder pedals. Any thoughts?

Same thing here. I did 4 flights and everything was perfect. Then I lost the avionics stack and now can not get them back. Have restarted the program numerous times, changed planes, nothing has helped yet.

Kerry W. Gipe
Savannah Georgia, USA
US FAA A&P / Commercial Pilot Multi Engine Land IFR

Your talent is a gift from God. How you use your talent is your gift back to God.

This a known issue and I am sure being tracked down.  It is affecting some users but not others.  I believe I have read that whatever the issue is, it may be affecting more than just this one model.  Perhaps other users will chime in to confirm or refute.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I noticed the same thing earlier today.  Ctrl-E to start the engine fixed it.  And, yes, I usually start it up from cold-and-dark using all the proper procedure.  But, ctrl-E is doing something that the switches aren't.  Not a HUGE problem, but one that I hope they address in the near future.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Cheers!

Eric Gee

Certified RTFM instructor

That's awful.

Just curious; have you ever tried the system failure features? Ever enabled it?

I'm trying to figure out why some have this and others don't. It sounds like the failure code is broken. And, I'm speculating that, if you've never changed the values there, there's nothing changed configuration-wise; nothing to get corrupted.

A bit daffy, I know, but I had a semi-conscious thought about this the other night and am now curious about the cause.

Knock on wood, but I don't have this issue and haven't ever changed the system failure settings. Coincidence? Probably.

Hopefully, they'll release a fix for this very soon.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

34 minutes ago, ericbgee said:

I noticed the same thing earlier today.  Ctrl-E to start the engine fixed it.  And, yes, I usually start it up from cold-and-dark using all the proper procedure.  But, ctrl-E is doing something that the switches aren't.  Not a HUGE problem, but one that I hope they address in the near future.

Interested.  Using Honeycomb Alpha yoke by any chance? 

I have not encountered the "go dark" issue, but I do keep encountering a random issue where at some times I can tune the NAV radial and HDG radial in 1° increments, then later I can tune only 10° increments.  The timing may just be equivalent to the timing of the go dark issue  discussed in this topic.   I have read that it may be due to how MFS is handling some of the Honeycomb switches.  Focus by some seems to be on the battery switches. Wonder if that could also be creating the issue reported here. 

I have just cleared or unbinded all of the switches on the yoke housing, leaving my assignments on the  yoke handle intact.  I can easily control the unbound switches with my mouse.  I had noticed that when assigned to the yoke, mouse operation of those switches appeared to be blocked.  After unbinding them from the Honeycomb the mouse operation is effective.  Will fly tomorrow morning to verify my issue is cured.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Possible Solution for hard failure of Avionics on Mooney:

I had the dreaded avionics failure with the Mooney and no matter what I tried I could not get them to power back up. Finally I tried the following and for me, for this instance, it worked:

1. Enter the Controls settings Keyboard Settings

2. Apply keystroke A+1 for Avionics Bus 1 ON (Should be a free key combination)

3. Apply keystroke A+2 for Avionics Bus 2 ON (Should also be a free key combination)

4. SAVE and exit the settings

Reenter the Mooney and use the A+1 and A+2 key combinations

This returned the avionics stack for me, at least with this current instance.

• Like 1

Kerry W. Gipe
Savannah Georgia, USA
US FAA A&P / Commercial Pilot Multi Engine Land IFR

Your talent is a gift from God. How you use your talent is your gift back to God.

I ran across this when trying to debug an issue that showed up after I bought the Mooney - wasn't getting any flight time logged. Turned out to be a problem with dev mode after the last patch and not the Mooney.

While troubleshooting that, some guys had mentioned the avionics shutting off in the M20R, which I hadn't seen. The first time I turned off dev mode, the avionics failed, like everyone said. I ran another test with dev mode back on - avionics didn't fail ( and no flight time logged ).
I decided I'd rather risk the Mooney avionics failing and get credit for flight time and turned off dev mode until Asobo fix the logging issue. I haven't had the avionics fail since then.

One difference after noticing the issue, is that I was a lot more vigilant about making sure the switches on my Honeycomb were set correctly for however I was starting the flight ( engines running vs cold & dark ). Haven't tried to A/B past that - but also haven't had any issues since then, too.

16 minutes ago, brent.houston said:

One difference after noticing the issue, is that I was a lot more vigilant about making sure the switches on my Honeycomb were set correctly for however I was starting the flight ( engines running vs cold & dark ). Haven't tried to A/B past that - but also haven't had any issues since then, too.

Are you not having the 10° increment issue when tuning CRS or HDSG when using your Honeycomb yoke?  I start cold and dark with all my switches in the correct position.  For several minutes I can tune radials just fine in 1° increments.  But later in flight I find that I can only tune in 10° increments.  When it changes it picks up the 10th's digit at the time.  So if I have tuned in say 246°, when the 10° increment rears it head I can only tune to 256°, 266°, 226°, 216° etc.  The timing may coincide with the timing for the avionics power loss, though I have not experienced that issue.

Interested if you have found a way around this.  I have unbound all my switch assignments and will fly later today using only my mouse to control switches.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
ASUS 

I have tried the keyboard a+1, a+2 map and the eliminate ground aircraft suggestions and neither works, unfortunately. Still no avionics. I am on hold with MS to request a refund for the Mooney. When the bugs are eliminated, I'll take another look at the plane. 

I fly with "Developer Mode" on at all times, and when I experienced the dead avionics once, my quick solution was (while in idle and ready to fly with everything else running and ready to go) use the DEV menu to switch immediately to a default aircraft (I used the C152) and then reload the M20R back again. Only took a few seconds to do.

Have flown this aircraft several times after that and avionics always came on (thus far anyway) when starting from cold and dark.

"We shall not cease from exploration...

and the end of all our exploring...

will be to arrive where we started...

and know the place for the first time."

- T. S. Eliot

17 hours ago, fppilot said:

Are you not having the 10° increment issue when tuning CRS or HDSG when using your Honeycomb yoke?  I start cold and dark with all my switches in the correct position.  For several minutes I can tune radials just fine in 1° increments.  But later in flight I find that I can only tune in 10° increments.  When it changes it picks up the 10th's digit at the time.  So if I have tuned in say 246°, when the 10° increment rears it head I can only tune to 256°, 266°, 226°, 216° etc.  The timing may coincide with the timing for the avionics power loss, though I have not experienced that issue.

Interested if you have found a way around this.  I have unbound all my switch assignments and will fly later today using only my mouse to control switches.

Yeah, I'm seeing that as well - it seems different per plane, too. Like the X Cub HDG knob on the AP runs in 10 deg increments and the HDG knob on the G3X runs in 1 deg ( or vice versa ).  It's been bugged a few times to zendesk, so I'm hoping for a fix down the road.
I'd prefer not to clear bindings on all the Honeycomb panel switches ( which is the current workaround )

You can single click on the HDG knob to get 1 deg changes, but mouse wheel is randomly 1 or 10. ( I wonder if this is what's causing the NAV mode issue in AP - as it feels like it's over correcting by 10 degrees )

I just the Mooney shut its avionics off twice. The first time, in cruise, I had to use the developer menu to load the cessna, and then back to the Mooney, and everything worked again.
The second time on short final.

This. is. very. annoying.

I was spawning repeatedly on an ORBX Wycomb Park airfield but M20R avionics was still dead.

I solved it by respawning on default airfiled (EGLL) and switch avionics ON - it worked. Then tried to spawn again on Wycomb park and voila, Avionics stil works...