Sign in to follow this  
desbean

Performance with 2080ti and 3080

Just a bit of buyer beware. Seems that there are some problems out there, and some cards are definitely better than others.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

On 9/25/2020 at 3:32 AM, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

There are 16GB 3070 Super cards and 20 GB 3080 cards due for release in a few months. No need for a 3090 just for Ram.

https://www.techradar.com/au/news/nvidia-rtx-3080-20gb-and-rtx-3060-leak-suggests-an-imminent-attack-on-amds-big-navi-and-midrange-gpus

I wonder if they're going to be able to use that much vram, bandwidth seems to be the bottleneck, reason why the 3080 has "only" 10gb

R5 3600 - GTX 1070OC - 32GB 3200 - NVME - 3440x1440 160Hz - VR(Quest 2)
GarbagePoster

Why would Nvidia kill their own 3900 with a 20 GB 3080??
I don't believe a single second that we'll see a 3080Ti before one year or more.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

6 hours ago, David Roch said:

Why would Nvidia kill their own 3900 with a 20 GB 3080??
I don't believe a single second that we'll see a 3080Ti before one year or more.

Because the 3090 is a workstation class Titan/Quadro/Tesla style card meant for machine learning and such and only people with an excess of cash are buying it for gaming use. 

7 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

Because the 3090 is a workstation class Titan/Quadro/Tesla style card meant for machine learning and such and only people with an excess of cash are buying it for gaming use. 

It’s marketed as a gaming card..... 

1 hour ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

It’s marketed as a gaming card..... 

Well .. sort of but not really ...

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/rtx-3090-out-september-24/

It features 10,496 CUDA cores. It’s packed with 24GB of cutting-edge GDDR6X memory. It’s the world’s fastest graphics card — much faster than the previous generation TITAN RTX.

Similar to TITAN RTX, GeForce RTX 3090 will appeal to the most demanding users. It’s great for creators making movies and rendering cinematics. It’s sure to appeal to researchers building systems for data science and AI. And, of course, it’s ideal for extreme gamers who want to experience the new world of 8K gaming.

The GeForce RTX 3090 enables creators who push their creations to the limits of graphics hardware with professional creation applications and with large models, detailed scenes, and high-resolution textures.

Rendering in these types of applications not only requires a more powerful GPU. It requires more GPU memory. Creators using the GeForce RTX 3090 will find that they can work with datasets that are more than twice as large as those that will fit into the memory of the GeForce RTX 3080.

Like the Titan RTX you can use it for gaming and they do go on to mention 8K gaming but that is not it's main purpose.   

It is the 30+ TFlops that will have a lot of people interested though it is only 32 bit so more aimed at machine learning them serious data crunching which needs 64 bit precision.

Within six months, there will be more 3090's out there than 8k displays!  Have you seen the prices of them?  You could by a decent car for the same price. 

Also, calling the 3090 a gaming card is considered as incorrect and a bit disingenuous by most in the PC gaming/testing sectors (Gamers Nexus etc.).  Watch the videos for an explanation why.

It is a workstation card, or a gaming card for the seriously wealthy only! I certainly couldn't afford one.

Also, the 20GB 3080, may will have larger VRAM for the applications that need it (especially things like MSFS @ 4k and DX12 etc.) but they haven't promised a speed increase along side that, so it won't challenge the 3090 for outright speed.

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

just wait first leaked pics of the 3080Ti !

x1OxgRi.jpg

😂

Edited by Nedo68
  • Like 3

On 9/21/2020 at 10:08 AM, Christopher Low said:

.....and based on past experience, the price of those RTX 2080Ti cards will probably be reduced by at least five quid when the RTX 3080 becomes available :rolleyes:

Yep, not seen any great reduction yet. Theoretically you can order a 3080 for half the price of a 2080 Ti in the UK. I say theoretically because the chances of beating the bots are slim...