Sign in to follow this  
bobcat999

V-Sync now working? (MSFS setting)

I just noticed completely by accident that the in game V-Sync is now working (for me anyway!)  

I have had trouble locking my frames at 30 with NVidia inspector.  And I wasn't sure that NVSS was set up right either.

When I finally had a look at the developer mode to have a play around, I found the famous built-in FPS display.

I have a 1080Ti at 1440 scaled at 130, and most settings are high with a few on medium.

My FPS was shown at 43 in a test scenario I use, so I was a bit annoyed it wasn't locking at 30.

I went to settings, put V-Sync on and set it to 30, and it was exactly 30 in the sim.  20 gave exactly 20, and at 60, I was back to getting my maximum 43 of course.

I have left it at 30 now.  Really smooth, but my graphics card is now only 68C now rather that 82C - it sounds a lot quieter!  🙂

It still says 'limited by GPU' of course, even when V-Sync is off or set at 60, but I have a really fast water-cooled CPU that never seems to get worked very hard.

Edited by bobcat999
Spelling

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

I've had no problem locking the frames within the sim or using NVidia Control Panel. I started out setting it using vsync in the sim, but later switched to NVidia because I wanted to raise the frame rate a little from 30 but didn't want to go as high as 60. Whichever works for you, I haven't had any display or performance issues using either one.

5 hours ago, desbean said:

I've had no problem locking the frames within the sim or using NVidia Control Panel. I started out setting it using vsync in the sim, but later switched to NVidia because I wanted to raise the frame rate a little from 30 but didn't want to go as high as 60. Whichever works for you, I haven't had any display or performance issues using either one.

Sure.  What I am saying though is this was broken before the patch and things got very stuttery if you tried to use V-Sync 

It now seems to work, but the fix wasn't listed in the patch notes, just like the way they added pylons, but that wasn't mentioned either.

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

Vsync has never caused stutters for me but I sure get them if it is not enabled.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Is this not strange. I am now befuddled because everything (well ... almost) I have read recommends turning Vsync off because it has no discernible benefits.  In fact, I have been told that this is also recommended by the new RD Presets manual for MSFS.

Are there any experts who can clarify this??

I have mine turned off and I am not getting stutters and getting 50fps fairly solidly in MSFS.

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

I guess it depends on the load balance between CPU and GPU. In my case I'm 100% GPU bound and turning on Vsync gives me very smooth fps. Otherwise very obvious stuttering. 

The strange thing though is that MSFS seems to lock to half of the fps cap. Only by setting fps at 60fps I got 30fps in game. If I set to 30fps I got only 15fps. 

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

It still doesn't work as it should.

The 60-30-20 FPS should be seen as a divider from your monitor's refreshrate.

If you have a 60Hz refresh, the values correspond with the values in the settings. If you have a 120Hz monitor set to 120 then the values in game give a double outcome so locked at 60FPS gives you 120FPS (if reachable offcourse), locked at 30 gives you 60FPS and locked at 20FPS should lock the FPS to 40. For a 144Hz monitor, 60FPS setting results in 144FPS, 30FPS in 72FPS in game and 20 in 48FPS.  And this still doesn't work like it should. The divider calculation is sometimes off (on my 144Hz monitor, i have 36FPS when selecting 20FPS but then it sometimes start to fluctuate between 36FPS and 48 which should be the correct value. 48 should be no problem to keep all the time because if i set VSync OFF, it jumps right to 65-70 (at my settings). So there is still something strange going on. I also notice a very slight rowingboat effect when looking sideways with TrackIR with VSync turned on. For the moment i keep my FPS locked at 36 through Nvidia CP and have G-Sync turned on with VSync in game set to OFF..  

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base & hegykc MFG Crosswind modded pedals, TrackIR4, no more VR