Sign in to follow this  
Moria15

Need a validate files function. (Avionics bug issues)

So after having serious problems with loosing Avionics etc, I decided on the Nuclear option of sorts...

What I did was redownload FS2020 to a different computer and then, across my netwok, I ran a complete file compare between the two installations.   Both versions were the same version number, and yet, there were significant differences in some of the files, especially those relating to the Garmins and a couple of planes I was having issues with..

Now..  When I tried the second machine, there were a number of differences in the way the sim operated as well, specifically (for me) around the GPS and ILS options  (actually the second download is giving me a few problems shooting the ILS but we will see whether that continues).  However, also on the second version the dead avionics was much, much improved.. in fact, the only aircraft I saw it on, after about 20 tests was still on the Mooney on startup.. however, if the Avionics fired up at the start, then they stayed for the flight.  (I did notice a couple of occaisions when the brightness of the avionics reset, but it never shut the avionics down or droped the A/P)

I realise that there is an entry in the app settings that does a quick validate, but it certainly doesn't check all the files and can't considering it completes in about 5 seconds 🙂

Now, two things could have happened here.. 

1)  So many people were downloading the update at the same time that some of the freezes and failures needing to try again corrupted some files but still registered enough to work

2)  There are files on the install that have been changed from the base + patch getting ready for the next update, but i suspect no 1) since the version numbers are the same.

I think we need a full file validation system available so that people can guarantee the files they have are correct when they have issues..   it wouldn't take anything like as long to do a compare as to do a new full download of the system (in my case).

Anyhoo.. a much better day today.. was able to do some 12 flights in OnAir in my 172/1000 without a single avionics failure.

Graham

Edited by Moria15
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

System specs...   CPU AMD5950,  GPU AMD6900XT,  ROG crosshair VIII Hero motherboard, Corsair 64 gig LPX 3600 mem, Air cooling on GPU,   Kraken x pump cooling on CPU.  Samsung G7 curved 27" monitor at 2k resolution ULTRA default settings.

I did reinstall my game fully once so far, and I have had a lot less issues than some (I have not seen the avionics bug at all).  

Still though, the bugs in this game are so random at times, it is really hard to determine a cause.  I mean, did the reinstall work, or have I just been lucky?  Intermittent bugs are the hardest to pin down.  

This definitely needs to be an option though for all games.  I would love to have the game double check any game files and check for differences.  My bet is some of the bugs are caused by people modifying delivered content and not remembering or realizing.  

Edited by kerosene31

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

It makes you wonder if there wasn't a full validation included with the patch install. Then again with so many similar avionics bugs reported it seems unlikely that everyone would have the identical corruption in the install. I hope they get it figured out soon, and that the next patch maybe isn't so rushed. Those big differences you found are troubling.

Edited by desbean

Though it seems that quite a few people encountered the download looping the same files over and over again during the installation of patch #2. I myself also encountered such loops and on the same files that others were stuck on. So perhaps some of the update files were a bit problematic in their deployment or download/installation which could've caused some of these issues if the client were to be confused and simply treat them as installed for whatever reasons when in fact they were not updated or installed properly.

@Moria15 Did your installation of patch #2 on your first PC encounter the download looping issue by any chance? Or PC #2 encountering it while first PC went smoothly? Though since you installed the whole sim from scratch on your second PC it's harder to observe the installation process I suppose.

Edited by Honnli

Steven

Intel i7 950, Gigabyte GTX 960 2GB G1 Gaming Edition Gigabyte RTX 2060 OC 6GB, 12GB RAM, HDD SSD

To answer the question i have the avionics issues but the patch install was very smooth, first the smaller update by way of the store, then the main patch which took less than an hour including download time. 

Hmm that's interesting. I've not had the avionics issues but my install was anything but smooth. The update from the MS store went smoothly, but the update from within the MSFS client took forever, often looping on the same files over and over for several files, taking many hours and many GB of wasted data to update.

Steven

Intel i7 950, Gigabyte GTX 960 2GB G1 Gaming Edition Gigabyte RTX 2060 OC 6GB, 12GB RAM, HDD SSD

4 hours ago, Honnli said:

Though it seems that quite a few people encountered the download looping the same files over and over again during the installation of patch #2. I myself also encountered such loops and on the same files that others were stuck on. So perhaps some of the update files were a bit problematic in their deployment or download/installation which could've caused some of these issues if the client were to be confused and simply treat them as installed for whatever reasons when in fact they were not updated or installed properly.

@Moria15 Did your installation of patch #2 on your first PC encounter the download looping issue by any chance? Or PC #2 encountering it while first PC went smoothly? Though since you installed the whole sim from scratch on your second PC it's harder to observe the installation process I suppose.

Patch on machine #1 was looping like crazy, took 4 hours to download..   Installation on machine #2 was ultra smooth, no file looped or stuttered.

Graham

System specs...   CPU AMD5950,  GPU AMD6900XT,  ROG crosshair VIII Hero motherboard, Corsair 64 gig LPX 3600 mem, Air cooling on GPU,   Kraken x pump cooling on CPU.  Samsung G7 curved 27" monitor at 2k resolution ULTRA default settings.