Sign in to follow this  
bean_sprout

Waiting for DX12

After watching FX2020 videos and reading performance posts ad-infinitum I decided to wait for the DX12 update before installing the game.  Seems to me that there are issues between the CPU and GPU whether they are current or a few year old tech.  Besides that I'm hoping that the Avionics issues will be resolved and the completed SDK Rev. 1 will be released.  One other piece of the puzzle is a great high performance 3rd party turboprop such as the RealAir LanceAir V2 with the Garmin GTN 750.  Not to much to ask and I have alot of patience.

BTW I have already purchased the sim.

Regards

bs

Edited by bean_sprout

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

I was impatiently waiting for DX12 to arrive in Prepar3d, but after it's been implemented I am less lucky about it. It gave a certain (limited) performance boost on my system but at the cost of a host of GPU memory management issues which have been resolved only partially so far.

Do what you want, but for me the missing DX12 is certainly no reason to shelve MSFS. Plus, I doubt it will come anytime soon.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

DX12 implementation is simply 1 milestone I decided must be met for my wishlist.  Besides I need to save enough for a new gaming laptop.

Cheers

bs

Edited by bean_sprout

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

If you have a decent system I wouldn't hesitate giving the simulator a try right now. It's not performing too badly, and it looks really good even at lower settings. Most current high-end CPUs seem to be getting pushed hard only with Ultra settings, High can be a good compromise.

Regarding when it will be out, there's a rumour that a DirectX 12 build is being tested by a very small amount of testers under an NDA, with a "very good performance improvement". It's just a rumour though so take it with a huge grain of salt. Personally I think they will want to port the engine to DirectX 12 before releasing the game to console.

• Like 3

The game console runs DX11 you don`t need DX12 to run games on the new game console or older titles would not run, and MS have made a big thing about backward compatibly  

Just hope when it comes if it comes it does not break the addons like P3D that had to be updated for DX12.

Edited by G-RFRY

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

1 minute ago, G-RFRY said:

The game console runs DX11 you don`t need DX12 to run games on the new game console or older titles would not run, and MS have made a big thing about backward compatibly  

I decided to drop the XBOX Series X idea because my current laptop needs to be replaced and the laptop I'm looking at has a RTX 2070 and a reviewer reported that the laptop runs FS2020 really well.  Hopefully by X-Mas.

Regards

bs

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, G-RFRY said:

Regarding the Xbox One, it is not the same DirectX 11 available on Windows, it's a low-level API (as usual for consoles) with some extra features that later made it into DirectX 12 for PC. While games using that API cannot be ported directly to the Xbox One, there is a performance boost according to developers. As for the Xbox Series X, I doubt it will have anything to do with DirectX 11. DirectX 12 Ultimate is supposed to be an API with feature parity between the two platforms.

If they don't port the engine to DirectX 12, both Xbox One S/X and Xbox Series X are likely out of the question, especially with the former's weak CPU.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

Regarding the Xbox One, it is not the same DirectX 11 available on Windows, it's a low-level API (as usual for consoles) with some extra features that later made it into DirectX 12 for PC. While games using that API cannot be ported directly to the Xbox One, there is a performance boost according to developers. As for the Xbox Series X, I doubt it will have anything to do with DirectX 11. DirectX 12 Ultimate is supposed to be an API with feature parity between the two platforms.

If they don't port the engine to DirectX 12, both Xbox One S/X and Xbox Series X are likely out of the question, especially with the former's weak CPU.

Well don`t tell MS they are marketing the new XBOX on the fact that you can run all your old XBOX titles on the new game console, DX11 titles will run on the new XBOX or i suspect a lot of gamepass subscribers will want a refund.

PS my PC is windows 10 i can run DX11 DX12 and below that in compatibility mode. 

Edited by G-RFRY

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

56 minutes ago, pmb said:

I was impatiently waiting for DX12 to arrive in Prepar3d, but after it's been implemented I am less lucky about it. It gave a certain (limited) performance boost on my system but at the cost of a host of GPU memory management issues which have been resolved only partially so far.

Do what you want, but for me the missing DX12 is certainly no reason to shelve MSFS. Plus, I doubt it will come anytime soon.

Kind regards, Michael

Indeed, especially with the vram usage and the headaches of keep looking at the vram capacity and praying that you can complete the flight without P3D running out of memory. 

Edited by omarsmak30
  • Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

Dx12 is a given going forward. Its just a matter of time probably around when it releases on console. Xbox series X is a native dx12u api. But dx12 is just one milestone. I am more interested in dlss and Raytraced global illumination.

Baber

My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/HDOnlive

1 hour ago, bean_sprout said:

After watching FX2020 videos and reading performance posts ad-infinitum I decided to wait for the DX12 update before installing the game.  Seems to me that there are issues between the CPU and GPU whether they are current or a few year old tech.  Besides that I'm hoping that the Avionics issues will be resolved and the completed SDK Rev. 1 will be released.  One other piece of the puzzle is a great high performance 3rd party turboprop such as the RealAir LanceAir V2 with the Garmin GTN 750.  Not to much to ask and I have alot of patience.

BTW I have already purchased the sim.

Regards

bs

If you are in this for the "simulator" experience then I have to say you won't be missing anything until then. Its nothing more than a glorified bing map vfr video game at this point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, G-RFRY said:

Well don`t tell MS they are marketing the new XBOX on the fact that you can run all your old XBOX titles on the new game console, DX11 titles will run on the new XBOX or i suspect a lot of gamepass subscribers will want a refund.

PS my PC is windows 10 i can run DX11 DX12 and below that in compatibility mode. 

Emulation. Xbox and Xbox 360 were based on architectures other than x86 and used variants of much older DirectX versions.

For PC it's different. With some luck you should be able to use applications dating back to DirectX 7 on Windows 10.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shadow133 said:

If you are in this for the "simulator" experience then I have to say you won't be missing anything until then. Its nothing more than a glorified bing map vfr video game at this point.

At this point but I'm looking a few years down the road.

Cheers

bs

14 hours ago, bean_sprout said:

At this point but I'm looking a few years down the road.

Cheers

bs

That’s what I said: “until then”. Might be well over a year until a decent fms/flight model comes out, depending on sdk development and bug fixing.

Both DX12 and Vulkan have brought a few problems with them unfortunately, especially around management of VRAM.

This is so often the way of things, and for any seasoned flight simmer or gamer, we shouldn't be surprised. 

Like with MSFS, sometimes two steps forward, one step back - but it will make steady progress.  But just as things get finely tuned, the next technological breakthrough arrives and we start the saga all over again.  😄

Just like with a lot of things, such as mobile phones etc.  You might as well go with what we have got now and enjoy yourself, or you will always be waiting for the 'next-best-thing', and when it arrives, it nearly always disappoints to start with. 

Edited by bobcat999
Clarity

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.