Sign in to follow this  
Huascar

Defeating MSFS 2020 - Alienware?

Any suggestions? You always overpay with Alienware but for the next five years I won’t have to worry about hardware or accidental damage. If MSFS still stutters on this, I will give up on simulation forever. Any experiences on the latest hardware technology?

- Alienware Aurora R11

- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB GDDR6X

- 10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost)

- 128GB Dual Channel HyperX(TM) FURY DDR4 XMP at 3200MHZ

2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)

Dark Side of the Moon chassis with High-Performance CPU Liquid Cooling with and 1000W Power Supply

Windows 10 Pro, 64bit English

I have priced out various configs on different manufactures. I believe Alienware is competitive if not cheaper. I'm still waiting for the right price on a PC with a 3080card.

Sorry 32GB memory...oops. and maybe a 1 gig sata disk for data. They have this config for a 2080TI, but not the 3080, the price is a little crazy.

I priced a Digital Storm 32GB, 1 TB ssd and 3080..it was approx. $3500

My last experience (~10 months ago) with Alienware was absolutely dismal.

The offshore support from some guy in a sweatshop in Calcutta was as third-world as it sounds.

Caveat Emptor

• Like 2

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Building your own computer is super easy these days. In the old days installing OS and various drivers could always turn into giant headaches, but with today's Windows 10 and internet everything runs at the first click. Also cases and liquid coolers today are very well designed, making actual hardware assembling really easy and simple. 

I just built a 10850K, ASUS XII motherboard, 2x 16GB, 512GB + 1TB NVME SSD, 360mm AIO cooling, 850W PS, Fractal S2 case, for $1600, only missing a 3090 to be complete. Using my old Titan XP just to get by.  

Edited by FlyIce
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 4

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

The above computer as configured cost me $3800, including taxes and five years of accidental and hardware damage.

they only have 128gb of ram that’s why the price was high. It’s nice to burn your graphics card and have the company send you a replacement.

by the way, it also comes with Alienware command center to overclock without messing with bios.

will MSFS run better on 128gb of memory?

6 minutes ago, FlyIce said:

Building your own computer is super easy these days. In the old days installing OS and various drivers could always turn into giant headaches

I agree. I guess the positive of buying Alienware is the superb warranty. Five years of MSFS use-and-abuse takes a toll on any hardware. 4K on max graphics things will be burning a bit. Can it be sustained?

Edited by Huascar

Must have come down was around $4k last checked. Was going to buy but that 3080 doesn't have enoug VRAM. So either wait for the upgraded version (rumored) or go 3090.

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

3 minutes ago, Flyfaster said:

Was going to buy but that 3080 doesn't have enoug VRAM.

Oh yeah? Where do you get that?

9 minutes ago, Huascar said:

The above computer as configured cost me $3800, including taxes and five years of accidental and hardware damage.

If your going to buy a prebuilt, why not choose Jetline? They specialize in computers for FS and offer great support. A lot of users here at Avsim have given them great reviews. I haven’t personally used them as I’ve just picked parts and had MicroCenter assemble for me, but if I was going to spend the money on a prebuilt, I’d go with Jetline.

• Like 1

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

3 minutes ago, Flyfaster said:

Must have come down was around $4k last checked. Was going to buy but that 3080 doesn't have enoug VRAM. So either wait for the upgraded version (rumored) or go 3090.

Got a $1200 discount. Close to 5k if you try to get it today. Dell told me they sold out in 48 hours. 

Just now, cmpbellsjc said:

If your going to buy a prebuilt, why not choose Jetline? They specialize in computers for FS and offer great support. A lot of users here at Avsim have given them great reviews. I haven’t personally used them as I’ve just picked parts and had MicroCenter assemble for me, but if I was going to spend the money on a prebuilt, I’d go with Jetline.

I didn’t know about this company 

3 minutes ago, Huascar said:

I didn’t know about this company 

Here’s the link.

https://jetlinesystems.com/

If you do a search here, you’ll be able to find some reviews from people who’ve used them.  The pricing is probably similar to Alienware but Service is probably better than being handed off to some guy in India who’s reading from a cue card. Plus sim systems are their specialty.

I think Stan @spilok has used them. You could PM him for some info.

Edited by cmpbellsjc
Added content
  • Like 1

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator