Sign in to follow this  
Huascar

Defeating MSFS 2020 - Alienware?

5 hours ago, Huascar said:

The above computer as configured cost me $3800, including taxes and five years of accidental and hardware damage.

they only have 128gb of ram that’s why the price was high. It’s nice to burn your graphics card and have the company send you a replacement.

by the way, it also comes with Alienware command center to overclock without messing with bios.

will MSFS run better on 128gb of memory?

If you don't want to build a PC yourself, why don't you go to a local PC shop, get them a parts list and let them order the stuff and build it for you?

That way, you would at least know the exact types of components you get. With your Alienware configuration, apart from the excessive 128 GB RAM, you don't even know the type of motherboard, HDD & SDD.

• Like 2

I bought an Alienware in 2011 and not a single component has failed. The computer has been abused bubFSC. And P3d. Frankly, other vendors aren’t that cheap and I don’t think they will go with the 5 years primo un support warranty. That is a long time

the question I have is how are similar computer performing against MSFS?

Just go to your local store and have them slap together:

10700K with premium cooler
ASUS Mobo
32GB RAM (2 sticks, leaving 2 free slots for the future)
1TB SSD
NVIDIA RTX3070 or 3080

What's the big deal? 

Edited by Colonel X
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

4 hours ago, stook2005 said:

wait for it on xbox series x.  the game will be optimized for the the console.  

RAM and VRAM constraints alone will keep the XBOX version below a high end PC.

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

9 hours ago, Huascar said:

Any suggestions? You always overpay with Alienware but for the next five years I won’t have to worry about hardware or accidental damage. If MSFS still stutters on this, I will give up on simulation forever. Any experiences on the latest hardware technology?

- Alienware Aurora R11

- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB GDDR6X

- 10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost)

- 128GB Dual Channel HyperX(TM) FURY DDR4 XMP at 3200MHZ

2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)

Dark Side of the Moon chassis with High-Performance CPU Liquid Cooling with and 1000W Power Supply

Windows 10 Pro, 64bit English

Nothing wrong with Alienware for sure, I also own an Aurora r11.  If you have bought it already be sure to send them a thank you note, because you  can see the same system is 5000 today, and you got 1200 lower than that.

128 gig is complete overkill.  I have 64 gig and have never exceeded 24 gig used.

I once owned a system from from Jetline and the issue is that they are pricey, and do not offer anything better than the rtx2080 at the moment, an I assume you are just looking for the 30xx gpu.

I will highly likely retire my old Alienware mid-year next year which has a Titan x watercooled, or move it to my other house, use my current R11 for work and general gaming, and build a new system from Origin with the 3090, or Whatever is better at that point as the aftermarket will make better improvements on the card base.

Looks like you are clear to fly.

thank you, by the way, for your Service!

• Like 2

I9-13900kf - rtx4090

32gb ddr5 4800mhz, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

internet - 300+ mbs / Honycomb Alpha yoke / Saitek Throttle

Dell 43” 4K 

Those Alienwares come with a proprietary 120mm liquid cooler for the CPU that is sufficient for normal use and not much overclocking. With the Ryzens it is not as big of a deal but for the Intel CPUs I would not buy anything with less than a 240mm AIO cooler. 

2 hours ago, Huascar said:

the question I have is how are similar computer performing against MSFS?

So with the exception of the gpu as compared to what you are building, and with everything meaningful turned up to ultra, or high, the frame rates are around 50 in open areas, dipping to 38 to 43 in places like New York.

The more important factor in my experience is that it is very clean performance, I.e. zero stuttering, very smooth flying in the cockpit, or on the rare occasion I scout with the drone, outside as well.

the problem I see with the 3080 from recently released benchmarks, the 3080 performance wasn’t a significant lift over the 2080ti in non 4K use.

Another had mentioned cpu cooling, and I did not see any issues with the R11 cooling at this point, with the cpu seldom hitting above 50c.  The gpu, though, 80% fan speed and around 69 to 71c, it constantly sounds like a second airplane!

Edited by FrankR409

I9-13900kf - rtx4090

32gb ddr5 4800mhz, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

internet - 300+ mbs / Honycomb Alpha yoke / Saitek Throttle

Dell 43” 4K 

I love Alienware (my latest rig is one after building my own for so many years), but you are going to pay a massive premium going for the latest and greatest from them.  The cost of that system is more than I've paid for some cars...

If you have the means, by all means have at it.  Personally I am looking for bargains on the 2080ti systems after the 3090 launches.  The 3090 is a monster, but you're going to be paying a massive premium to get the latest and greatest.  I'm thinking I'll be able to get an i9 2080ti for a great price (and if not, I'll just wait).

Plus, there's just no way to know if we'll run the sim "without stutters".  You could throw whatever hardware you wanted at FSX and never fix problems.  I think this sim will run a lot better (it already does on my rig), but who knows what happens when we start throwing complex add-ons at it?  

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

9 hours ago, FrankR409 said:

Nothing wrong with Alienware for sure, I also own an Aurora r11.  If you have bought it already be sure to send them a thank you note, because you  can see the same system is 5000 today, and you got 1200 lower than that.

128 gig is complete overkill.  I have 64 gig and have never exceeded 24 gig used.

I once owned a system from from Jetline and the issue is that they are pricey, and do not offer anything better than the rtx2080 at the moment, an I assume you are just looking for the 30xx gpu.

I will highly likely retire my old Alienware mid-year next year which has a Titan x watercooled, or move it to my other house, use my current R11 for work and general gaming, and build a new system from Origin with the 3090, or Whatever is better at that point as the aftermarket will make better improvements on the card base.

Looks like you are clear to fly.

thank you, by the way, for your Service!

Frank - Thank you for the nicely written comments and suggestions. Yes, I got a 1200 discount from Dell. I tried different vendors with the same or similar specs and the final quote was close to 5k before taxes. I agree, 128gb of RAM is an overkill, but I was compelled to by the system with this configurations. 

By the way, still have an Alienware R3 which I purchased in 2011. Never had an issue and still running strong. I gave the computer to my daughter to play Minecraft. 

Finally, don’t think there is a vendor offering 5 year of premium support warranty. I also have a 24/7 support line.  Let’s see if Alienware can taken on the MSFS challenge.

• Upvote 1

I have built many (>10) gaming machines but the Jetline units would be my hassle-free choice today.

Cheers

bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

I checked Jetline but they do not have the 3080 configuration and they aren’t necessarily cheaper.

19 hours ago, Huascar said:

I’ve just picked parts and had MicroCenter assemble for me

+1.  Me too.  Twice now. First time was 5 years ago.  Excellent.  My store is in the Baltimore area.  New system is powerful and incredibly quiet.  If you have a Microcenter anywhere near, you should consider.  You can pick your own components.  They carry everything.  

I recall house hunting a number of years back when we relocated.  Went into one of those developments with homes built by a large national development company.  The show homes were very impressive, but the pricing was for basic throughout,  As soon as you wanted to add an improved this, or a nicer that, the cost accelerated.  

That is not how Microcenter does business.  Component prices on a par with online pricing, and $159.00 to $199.00 to build plus a full year guarantee.  And you will not lose out on any promotions or rebates on the components either.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

17 minutes ago, Huascar said:

I checked Jetline but they do not have the 3080 configuration and they aren’t necessarily cheaper.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/zotac-overwhelmed-with-20000-geforce-rtx-3080-pre-orders-from-amazon

Maybe soon.

Regards

bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

I use to build my PC's but I decided to buy a R8 (9900, 2080) couple years back and I've had no complaints. I was also able to upgrade my ram and add SSD's without any issues and build quality is pretty good. 

I think AW is tempting for a lot of people for various reasons. You get a solid warranty and extended warranties are usually discounted. AW models always go on sale with big discounts so more bang for your buck. And Dell has aggressive finance options, you can't go wrong with no interest for 12 months.