Sign in to follow this  
1down2upquarks

Adjusting knobs during flight.

This may just be me, but I find it sometimes difficult to adjust such things as heading, altitiue, vertical speed using the mouse on the G1000 in the Cessna 172. Basically, while flying along with a bit of turbulence I find the mouse curser tends to "bounce" off the knob while adjusting, the vertical speed one seems particularly fussy with this. Has anyone else experienced this?

Are there any keyboard mappings for these?

Are there any hardware switch/knob panels I can get to take care of this manually?

• Like 2

Heading bug increase/decrease is already bound to some key strokes. I used them a few times in the past when in external view.

By the way I'm used to switch to the instrument views (on the C172 G1000 is CTR+1) to manage knobs. It might me just subjective perception but in those view the movement is much less than in the standard cockpit view.

PS: I also use trackir that also adds its own challenges to mouse spots shooting 😄

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Marco Manieri

Perugia - Italy

169055.png

Ctrl+Insert/Delete for heading bug.
Ctrl+PgUp/PgDown for altitude.

More info on standard key mappings here: 

• Like 1

You can bind these to a rocker switch or hat if you have a controller.  I have my autopilot heading bug and CDI course heading up and down bound to rocker switches and it works really well.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, AndrewM said:

You can bind these to a rocker switch or hat if you have a controller.  I have my autopilot heading bug and CDI course heading up and down bound to rocker switches and it works really well.

Good idea. Thank you.

4 hours ago, 1down2upquarks said:

Are there any hardware switch/knob panels I can get to take care of this manually?

Yup. Buy one of these for a fiver (USB keypad) and a packet of white sticky labels for a quid, then make your own autopilot like I did:

SVJrVPS.jpg

Edited by Chock
  • Like 17
  • Upvote 3

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

5 minutes ago, spacedyemeerkat said:

Another good idea. I particularly like the no-expense-spared approach to labelling 😁

Well, I could have printed the labels of course, but so long as I can read them I'm okay with the look. What is good is that since it is the Number Lock key for the A/P, I get a red light coming on when the A/P engages.

• Like 6

Alan Bradbury

11 minutes ago, Chock said:

Yup. Buy one of these for a fiver (USB keypad) and a packet of white sticky labels for a quid, then make your own autopilot like I did:

Excellent idea, thank you.

A question. Can you separate the keystroke from the normal keyboard? That is, if I press NumLock on the auxiliary numeric keypad, can it be different from the NumLock on my normal keyboard?

Apologies for my bad English, I hope you understand me.

• Like 1

No, it is identical to the normal keyboard unfortunately. so it's really not any different from assigning the normal keypad keys, but it is less desk space and allows you to put stickers related to your sim on a cheap bit of hardware.

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury

I was hoping it would detect it as a different device with different assignments within the simulator.

Still, it's a great idea. I am already looking for stores to buy one.

But of course I am not going to put your stickers on my main keyboard 😉, maybe on the auxiliary  (as long as they are not subject to copiright) 😄

I use Matric with an Android Tablet next to my system. It is excellent, completely configurable and looks brilliant. It is also very, very cheap if you have a phone or tablet already that you can use. It is simply software that runs on your MSFS pc and then links to the tablet or phone running the Matric app. You simply assign key strokes to the buttons that you have created for your controls. A couple of examples of what is possible:

ss1.png

ss3.png

Edited by CJ1045
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, Chock said:

the Number Lock key for the A/P, I get a red light coming on when the A/P engages

You are just Chock'd full of ideas!

• Like 2

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

5 hours ago, 1down2upquarks said:

This may just be me, but I find it sometimes difficult to adjust such things as heading, altitiue, vertical speed using the mouse on the G1000 in the Cessna 172.

What is driving me nuts is that under similar conditions, even with a zoomed window, the control spots are so small that often when using the mouse wheel I zoom in or out instead of tuning.  The control spots need to be larger.  I also suggest coding so that clicking or holding the L and R mouse buttons is added as means of tuning.  My Reality XP in FSX/P3D gauges work that way, provide audible feedback, and are quite precise.  I can tune RXP gauges in a fraction of the time compared with MSF.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

5 hours ago, 1down2upquarks said:

This may just be me, but I find it sometimes difficult to adjust such things as heading, altitiue, vertical speed using the mouse on the G1000 in the Cessna 172. Basically, while flying along with a bit of turbulence I find the mouse curser tends to "bounce" off the knob while adjusting, the vertical speed one seems particularly fussy with this. Has anyone else experienced this?

Try it with TrackIR. Next to impossible without pausing TrackIR and waiting 10 seconds for the view to reset. Got so fed up with adjusting the autopilot that I bought a Logitech Flight Multi Panel.

• Like 2

James