Sign in to follow this  
kapitan

The Faults are security encryption related

Hi all,

Surprised with so many tech experts nobody deduces the weird avionics and engine failures are a security glitch after the patch

If you havent experienced, you will. Its random. For some it started on day 1 after the patch, others are getting after a few flights. Sometimes if you restart and fly another plane and start the same plane the problem goes away. But it always come back

This indicates only ONE thing:

a security problem with the  encrypted stuff. MS Asobo should fix this immediately, it shouldnt require a patch since sims are updated upon launch. 

Don't get the reasoning getting from those issues to "security problem with the  encrypted stuff".

Why do you exclude any other possibility?

Could you elaborate?

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Marco Manieri

Perugia - Italy

169055.png

9 minutes ago, Marco Manieri said:

Don't get the reasoning getting from those issues to "security problem with the  encrypted stuff".

Why do you exclude any other possibility?

Could you elaborate?

Marco, Im not an expert but the symptoms: random, any model, sometimes comes back, sometimes dont, not related to settings or MODs, it seems a failure in the encryption activates part of the security system deactivating features from the plane to turn it unflyable.

Well.. I don't think encryption would randomly deactivate features. Any failure in in decrypting protected files would just render that file unavailable.

I really do not agree with your opinion sorry. It's a "normal" bug IMO. Somewhere there's bad code that only "get triggered" in some cases.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

Marco Manieri

Perugia - Italy

169055.png

(A "bad coding" wouldn't sometimes work flawless)

random: internet connection that flags it

systems affected: avionics, fuel related, electrical.  

32 minutes ago, kapitan said:

(A "bad coding" wouldn't sometimes work flawless)

This isn't true. So many games have weird bugs, some of which are never resolved, and some of which will never be encountered by everyone. Therefore, difficult for developers to recreate the reported bug to trace its cause. Take Assassin's Creed. I saw many images of players with their horse floating upside-down in the air, and myriad other anomalies. I never encountered any bugs during my play-through.

In so far as I can tell, the encrypted files (.fsarchive) are only applied to premium and deluxe content and a few items purchased off the Marketplace (i.e. one user reported the Carneado 182 uses .fsarchive files.) It has been rumored that the .fsarchive files are protected in a manner that is machine specific i.e. using a computed hardware id tag as part of the encryption key for decoding. 

• Like 1

As far as I know, none of the files are security locked in Steam installations, especially when in a custom install directory. Only the MS Store purchased version have those issues with locking files from user access. Regardless, this is unlikely to be the source of frustration as these issues are repeatable but random. The Windows security does not operate randomly. It would either work or not work.

As for the encrypted flight models/aircraft, also not likely as both base version and premium deluxe aircraft are affected.

I do however agree that more and more people will stumble into this bug the more they fly. Some of those that say they have never had their avionics stack and Garmin's die mid flight just have not flown enough hours. How many hours is enough? Maybe 10, maybe 100.... 

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

1 minute ago, RaptyrOne said:

As far as I know, none of the files are security locked in Steam installations, especially when in a custom install directory.

Steam users have also reported that the Longitude, G58, B787, etc also have the .fsarchive files and not individual .cfg, .mdl,.xml files. I think you are confusing the base install directory versus the content directory with Microsoft Store. The Package folder is not encrypted, just a PITA to deal with and temperamental when you change it's security settings. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kapitan said:

Im not an expert

You got that right ...

• Upvote 2

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

1 hour ago, March Hare said:

This isn't true. So many games have weird bugs, some of which are never resolved, and some of which will never be encountered by everyone. Therefore, difficult for developers to recreate the reported bug to trace its cause. Take Assassin's Creed. I saw many images of players with their horse floating upside-down in the air, and myriad other anomalies. I never encountered any bugs during my play-through.

Thats a weird bug. Certainly bad coding. It would similar to see the a building hanguing from the clouds.

The bugs we are seeing are not that weird if you think a moment... a) fuel automatically zero in center tank, then drains rapidly to the others b) MFDs that switch off (we ve seen this feature in many security paywares), avionics unable to switch on, Im just doing some brainstorming here. If we dont know what the encryption is it could be multiple security actions triggered either by time, pressing a common key needed to fly, calling atc, etc), thank you everyone for your insight

to SierraDelta, yes, Im used to ask myself questions, the basis process of thought 

So essentially you have no experience of any kind coding but have jumped to the conclusion that this is somehow related to security. Am I getting that right?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I appreciate you are really trying to help Kapitan, and it is important to have an open mind if we are trying to solve some of the issues, but it is a really big assumption to make, and it doesn't seem to add up. i.e. It wasn't widespread in the initial release or the beta testing, with the same 'security'.

I think it is more likely just MS/Asobo accidentally damaging their own code when then try to fix other things. 
After all, if they can make the whole (perfectly working beforehand) control sensitivity screen disappear for all of us, then anything can happen! 😁

They will get there.  Six months down the line it will be more about adding content than bug hunting hopefully. 👍

• Like 2

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

3 hours ago, kapitan said:

Hi all,

Surprised with so many tech experts nobody deduces the weird avionics and engine failures are a security glitch after the patch

If you havent experienced, you will. Its random. For some it started on day 1 after the patch, others are getting after a few flights. Sometimes if you restart and fly another plane and start the same plane the problem goes away. But it always come back

This indicates only ONE thing:

a security problem with the  encrypted stuff. MS Asobo should fix this immediately, it shouldnt require a patch since sims are updated upon launch. 

So perhaps you can explain why the bug is accompanied by an audible click as if a control is being manipulated.

Encryption does not cause the program to think that a control in the aircraft was manipulated.  

From every explanation I have seen on this issue, the sim is reacting to a condition that it thinks was user initiated, when it wasn't.  

I would be more interested in reports from people who have turned off ALL flight assists, gone full reality mode and booted the AI pilot out of the cockpit completely.  

I'm more inclined to believe that the bug lies in a subroutine that is designed to assist the pilot but is actually responsible for trying to kill them.

"Look Dave, I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over."

• Like 4