Sign in to follow this  
kapitan

The Faults are security encryption related

2 hours ago, RaptyrOne said:

As far as I know, none of the files are security locked in Steam installations, especially when in a custom install directory. Only the MS Store purchased version have those issues with locking files from user access.

If you get the deluxe or premium versions then you have encrypted files Steam or MS version doesn't matter. In fact, the core files are all downloaded from MS even if you buy on steam. Look in any of the premium planes folders and you will not find a aircraft.cfg but instead you find .fsarchive files. those are the same files encrypted.

• Upvote 1

James

4 hours ago, kapitan said:

Hi all,

Surprised with so many tech experts nobody deduces the weird avionics and engine failures are a security glitch after the patch

If you havent experienced, you will. Its random. For some it started on day 1 after the patch, others are getting after a few flights. Sometimes if you restart and fly another plane and start the same plane the problem goes away. But it always come back

This indicates only ONE thing:

a security problem with the  encrypted stuff. MS Asobo should fix this immediately, it shouldnt require a patch since sims are updated upon launch. 

This is total speculation and IMHO total rubish.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

2 hours ago, RaptyrOne said:

As far as I know, none of the files are security locked in Steam installations, especially when in a custom install directory. Only the MS Store purchased version have those issues with locking files from user access. Regardless, this is unlikely to be the source of frustration as these issues are repeatable but random. The Windows security does not operate randomly. It would either work or not work.

As for the encrypted flight models/aircraft, also not likely as both base version and premium deluxe aircraft are affected.

I do however agree that more and more people will stumble into this bug the more they fly. Some of those that say they have never had their avionics stack and Garmin's die mid flight just have not flown enough hours. How many hours is enough? Maybe 10, maybe 100.... 

Nope, not true. I have the steam installation and none of the Premium aircraft files can be touched by users and the new Marketplace Mooney is the same.  Not config files can be found to hold onto custom registration numbers, repaints, etc. 

• Upvote 1

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

1 hour ago, raymar said:

Nope, not true. I have the steam installation and none of the Premium aircraft files can be touched by users and the new Marketplace Mooney is the same.  Not config files can be found to hold onto custom registration numbers, repaints, etc. 

You did not read my post, or perhaps I could have been clearer. I stand by what I said. There is a very big difference between Windows security and Asobo encryption. The OP was referring to Windows security, not Asobo encryption, unless I also misinterpreted..... which I guess I did. ;(

Edited by RaptyrOne

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

It is true that some games have built in piracy protection that causes seemingly random issues if it thinks you're using a pirated product. Did that get turned on for a bunch of people by accident? It's plausible.

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

6 hours ago, kapitan said:

This indicates only ONE thing:

Narrator: No it doesn't

• Like 1

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

It's much more likely that with a 100GB game, some game file is being corrupted causing an array overflow or other memory related bug that sends the game down the path of a control being activated, causing the 'click' and loss of avionics.

Random bit flips in memory before data gets written to disk is a thing.  Drives also have an error rate of their own.  A lot of people have had many problems with the launcher/installer struggling to download and install the game and updates.  The larger the game, the more likely this happens.

The first thing I think we need is an offline verification/validation tool that checks a given game install is 100% good.  That will rule out a large portion of the fault tree.

• Upvote 1

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

16 minutes ago, marsman2020 said:

It's much more likely that with a 100GB game, some game file is being corrupted causing an array overflow or other memory related bug that sends the game down the path of a control being activated, causing the 'click' and loss of avionics.

Random bit flips in memory before data gets written to disk is a thing.  Drives also have an error rate of their own.  A lot of people have had many problems with the launcher/installer struggling to download and install the game and updates.  The larger the game, the more likely this happens.

The first thing I think we need is an offline verification/validation tool that checks a given game install is 100% good.  That will rule out a large portion of the fault tree.

Exactly.  MSFS has always been fairly open ended and people have routinely edited .cfg files to change things beyond the limitations in the UI (such as draw distance), or to change the order where scenery loads occur.  etc. etc.

As simmers, we tend to "touch" these files or modify them without giving it any thought.  Then some configuration change made 'here', fouls up something over 'there' in a completely unrelated area of the sim. 

Some of the freeware fixes (such as tree-height fix) has us replacing system configuration files with ones modified by someone else.  If we lose track of those changes, we may see issues that don't rear their ugly head until much much later.

A file validation tool would at least be able to identify which files have been "touched" or are not what is expected by the developer.  I am not saying this particular issue is due to a misconfigured config file.  I was simply using that as an example on why we need a file validation tool.  It would help not only files that were corrupted via download, but also files that were possibly corrupted inadvertently by us.  

Edited by wthomas33065

Encryption. Seriously?

Asobo,

Please include a template containing the company header for a tinfoil hat with the next patch, please.

This is a "normal" software bug that slipped through testing. Nothing more...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, odourboy said:

This is total speculation and IMHO total rubish.

I'm no expert but I'd say it's Dunning-Kruger effect in full swing.

• Like 1

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!

This snipe hunt is headed for one of two destinations...nowhere, or a bad place.  In either case, let's just not go there.  Locked.

• Like 2

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case