Sign in to follow this  
roi1862

Do not upgrade your CPU !!

15 minutes ago, devgrp said:

I have the same cpu running at 5.1ghz and I don't have any stutters 

I have some brief stutters, it's worse when I have everything up at Ultra or LOD at 200.  I think at this point it's due to I/O.  I have 32GB RAM, a i7 7700 hyperthreaded and a GTX 1660 Super locked at 30fps.  I can run Ultra locked at 30fps very easily.  However, when I have LOD at 200, it runs fine until it has to update the new area I am flying in.  Then pauses or freezes.  Then continues.  If I lower LOD, the length of the pause obviously decreases.  

I have settled on everything on High End except clouds which are Ultra. and I only dip down below 30 if I'm flying rooftop level in Manhattan.  

If I want to get rid of those other pauses, I'm afraid I'll either have to move to an SDD or lower LOD even further.  Maybe 80 will make it just a little less noticable.  Trying to limit disk I/O now as I believe that's the bottleneck 

Edited by wthomas33065

4 minutes ago, wthomas33065 said:

I have some brief stutters, it's worse when I have everything up at Ultra or LOD at 200.  I think at this point it's due to I/O.  I have 32GB RAM, a i7 7700 hyperthreaded and a GTX 1660 Super locked at 30fps.  I can run Ultra locked at 30fps very easily.  However, when I have LOD at 200, it runs fine until it has to update the new area I am flying in.  Then pauses or freezes.  Then continues.  If I lower LOD, the length of the pause obviously decreases.  

I have settled on everything on High End except clouds which are Ultra. and I only dip down below 30 if I'm flying rooftop level in Manhattan.  

If I want to get rid of those other pauses, I'm afraid I'll either have to move to an SDD or lower LOD even further.  Maybe 80 will make it just a little less noticable.  Trying to limit disk I/O now as I believe that's the bottleneck 

That's interesting. I got an SSD. what is "limit the disk I/O'' ?

Roi Ben

4 minutes ago, roi1862 said:

That's interesting. I got an SSD. what is "limit the disk I/O'' ?

Disk input output.  Moving data from hard storage (HDD SSD, etc) into RAM.  For example, in Bush Adventures, people are noting a slight pause every minute because the program is autosaving their progress.  That results in a slight stutter or pause.  In other "level based" games, you never deal with this because the entire level is loaded at once, so you never have to worry about loading new areas.  But in a sim with 2 petabytes of data, that has to be constantly streamed.  It should be more seemless I agree, but sometimes you note I/O stutters.

I have an M.2 Nvme SSD for Windows and another one for MSFS. I still got stutters sometimes.

But what I found out is that if I don't plug in any USB peripherals (joystick etc) after starting the computer, I usually don't have stutters. If I plug everything I need in, and then restart before starting Flight Simulator, I rarely have stutters. If I do plug something in after starting the PC, it would stutter. And when the stutters came, it was always in the 2nd flight, never in the 1st. So maybe some USB problem, could be drivers or firmware. I don't know. This is on an R9 3900X CPU and Asus ROG STRIX X570-F motherboard.

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

6 minutes ago, Republic3D said:

I have an M.2 Nvme SSD for Windows and another one for MSFS. I still got stutters sometimes.

But what I found out is that if I don't plug in any USB peripherals (joystick etc) after starting the computer, I usually don't have stutters. If I plug everything I need in, and then restart before starting Flight Simulator, I rarely have stutters. If I do plug something in after starting the PC, it would stutter. And when the stutters came, it was always in the 2nd flight, never in the 1st. So maybe some USB problem, could be drivers or firmware. I don't know. This is on an R9 3900X CPU and Asus ROG STRIX X570-F motherboard.

21 minutes ago, wthomas33065 said:

I'm running 4k on high with some settings on medium and ultra. 80 render scaling, 2080 super, lod @ 100. No stutters, 50-65fps 

I have noticed that stutters occur when some other task outside FS needs to run. Download Process Lasso and have it as the top window while running FS. Notice your cpu utilization. When you get a stutter your cpu will probably be maxed out on all cores. My 4770K is less than 40% utilization  a lot of the time but when the stutters come all cores ping 100%. Sort the process list by cpu % to see what process other than FS is using resources at the point your cpu redlines. If it is FS itself than you know it isn’t any external program causing the stutters. In my case there were two programs causing it, which eliminated 90% of the stutters. Shut those down. 

With dev mode with FPS up note what happens to the cpu and gpu when there is a stutter. In my case i can redline the gpu and get no stutters, but the second my mostly low utilization cpu goes 100% i get a stutter.

A stutter is a mismatch between what the CPU and GPU can handle at a point in time. You can see the mismatch by observing that FPS overlay. Maybe that mismatch occurs because an external program hogs your cpu for a split second. Maybe it is something in FS. 

I try to have the GPU and CPU in constant yellow with no red bars. If there are green bars occasionally you are on the right side of the equation. That might mean turning things way down to eliminate the stutters. So you are either going to get much better visuals at the expense of occasional stutters, or your visuals will be much poorer but stutter free. 

In my case if i get my settings to a point where GPU, CPU and CoherentGTDraw are all solid yellow with some occasional green spikes there are no stutters, or maybe more accurately, my headroom is so high that the frame dips don’t drop low enough for me to notice. 

Edited by RobJC
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

1 hour ago, devgrp said:

I have the same cpu running at 5.1ghz and I don't have any stutters 

Is you last core also maxed out ? "CPU15" IS maxed while overall usage is of the CPU is 18%

Roi Ben

Another thing i noticed. My last cpu/thread (cpu15) is all the time 100% loaded. When the stutter happens its when the usage of this core goes down. I am really lost on this... anyone has any assumptions what is going on ? 

Roi Ben

I wish members would include their internet supplier and expected down load speed when discussing this or any other subject related to freeze or stutter. Thanks.

Bob

Fios 1gB - 960gB fios speed test via ethernet 

Edited by BobP

It's a weird problem. Have anyone with an Intel CPU tried to turn off Intel Turbo Boost?

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

1 minute ago, Republic3D said:

It's a weird problem. Have anyone with an Intel CPU tried to turn off Intel Turbo Boost?

I dont think its when the core speed drops but more the utilization drop. I can 100% reproduce it. you can actually see in the dev mode how the red line showing when stutter induced and at the same moment the last core drops from 100% to around 80 and then jump back to 100%. 

Roi Ben

I upgraded from 7700K (overclocked to 5GHz) to 10850K (OC at 5.1GHz) and the performance improvement is very noticeable. With same settings and same Titan XP card, 7700K frequently suffered long freezes and was frequently (every few seconds) mainhread limited, while with 10850K those long freezes were 99% gone and I almost never saw it mainthread limited. I'm now pretty much 100% limited by GPU and as long as I lock to 30fps there is no stuttering at all. 

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

1 hour ago, roi1862 said:

Another thing i noticed. My last cpu/thread (cpu15) is all the time 100% loaded. When the stutter happens its when the usage of this core goes down. I am really lost on this... anyone has any assumptions what is going on ? 

It's not "cpu15", it's LP (logical processor) 15.  Keep in mind that with HT on, one physical CPU core is running both LP 14 and 15, so the load on that core is the combined load on the two LPs plus some overhead for shuttling between the two.

I run MSFS on a 10-core 10900K with HT off.  I also limit frame rate to 30 fps thru VSync and a 30Hz hardware refresh rate on my 4K TV.  With patch #2 (v1.8.3.0) I see about 40-50% utilization on the last core, and the other nine cores are very lightly tasked at around 10-15% each.  With HT on, if your CPU load on those last two LPs *combined* is at/near 100%, then you are hitting the wall on your last physical core, and that very well may cause stutters.  If you're running a 10th Gen CPU (e.g. 10700K or 10900K) you might try using the per-core HT capability and turn off HT at least on that last core to give the thread(s) running on that last LP a dedicated core.  It might also be that trying to push out the max possible frame rate is driving the load up on the main thread(s) too high, and limiting to 30 as I am doing may be what keeps that final core from being overtasked.  Maintaining headroom--the ability to absorb spikes in processor load without hitting the limit--is critical to smoothness.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

One of the best optimizations I've made for stuttering was disabling the automatic cache completely. I would get momentary stutters with that on, despite cache being written to it's own dedicated SSD drive I installed just for that purpose. If you haven't experimented with that maybe give it a shot. 

6 hours ago, roi1862 said:

I dont get how people with lower end CPU's can set the LOD to 200 

Because it comes down to memory speed, bandwidth, and system optimization as well. My other testbed is a 5930K with HT enabled and 32GB of quad channel DDR4 (using the 3200 XMP profile). When I throw in the 2080ti into the rig, the sim is butter smooth, even with LOD 200 and most settings on ultra.