Sign in to follow this  
aidanlegras

GPU or CPU bottleneck?

For those in the know, as opposed to me, what do you think? Will MSFS 2020 be GPU or CPU bottlenecked in VR?

I use a 2080ti and an i7700k OC to 4.8GHz but now that this app is meant to be using multicore processing I am hoping we might see some improvement in VR performance on legacy sims.

Thoughts?

I'm very interested in this question too. I've decided to go big on the 3090. My CPU is actually a bit old (Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz (Skylake) Socket LGA1151) so I'm resigned to CPU bottlenecking until I upgrade that, but I'm starting to read things that make me think even a 3080 is wasted.

Varjo Aero, Zotac 3090, i9-12900K, 32GB Ram, RX Viper Rudder Pedals, AuthentiKit Controls + Fulcrum Yoke

atk-logo-354.jpg

I’d love to hear that a 3090 would be wasted in the same way I hope that SLI would also be wasted. At what point do we get off the train of wildly expensive rigs?

Based on this chart I think a GPU makes all the difference in the world. My sub $300 cpu (Ryden 3600) seems to get the same framerates as more expensive cpus with the same gpu card (2060 Super).

I think the vid card is what counts the most...

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/microsoft-flight-simulator-(2020)-pc-graphics-performance-benchmark-review,7.html

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

RTX 2080 TI vs RTX 3080

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

On 9/21/2020 at 9:58 PM, Spit40 said:

I'm very interested in this question too. I've decided to go big on the 3090. My CPU is actually a bit old (Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz (Skylake) Socket LGA1151) so I'm resigned to CPU bottlenecking until I upgrade that, but I'm starting to read things that make me think even a 3080 is wasted.

I would love to hear about your experince with the new card once MSFS supports VR.

1 hour ago, Fielder said:

RTX 2080 TI vs RTX 3080

“ it is absurd how much this game demands from CPUs” ... they’re gonna need to do a lot of improvement here to make this run smoothly in a Reverb. Maybe VR launches with DX12?

Varjo Aero, Zotac 3090, i9-12900K, 32GB Ram, RX Viper Rudder Pedals, AuthentiKit Controls + Fulcrum Yoke

atk-logo-354.jpg

"Who will help me buy desktop and goggles", asked the LRH?
"Not I", said the duck and the cat, etc.

2 months later....

"Now who will play and watch...."

"We will!", shouted all the animals.

On 9/28/2020 at 5:18 PM, Spit40 said:

“ it is absurd how much this game demands from CPUs” ... they’re gonna need to do a lot of improvement here to make this run smoothly in a Reverb. Maybe VR launches with DX12?

That’s useful thanks. Does anyone want to take a stab at how VR performance might be like on something like a Reverb with a 2080ti when it’s eventually implemented for us plebs that don’t want to do the closed beta?