Sign in to follow this  
Colonel X

MSFS x NVIDIA Freestyle with Raytracing simulation.

I'm done dialing in my custom NVIDIA Freestyle profile, using selected Reshade shaders including Ambient Light and Bloom to simulate a Raytracing effect and finetune the final image of the simulator for a more natural yet cinematic look. It works flawlessly, improves upon MSFS'S vibrant atmosphere and has no performance impact. The "color bleeding" and amplification of the light enhances the cockpit and exterior views adding to the overall realism of the scene. It's especially useful in recreating a high altitude cockpit atmosphere. Additionally, my preset corrects the slightly overexposed sky (incl. clouds) and adds a vignette and chromatic aberration effect at the edges - that's a matter of taste, but for me on a simulated (headset) 160" screen, this happens in my peripheral vision and increases the perceived depth of the image.

MSFS is fully compatible with NVIDIA Freestyle, which recently started offering the original Reshade filters. Freestyle is already included and installed on your system, just enable the experimental features in GeForce Experience's settings. You only have to download the Reshade shader pack from Crosire's GitHub. Then, set your key bindings in GeForce Experience. Bottom line, you get powerful post processing (at no performance cost) out of the box, no hacks, seamlessly integrated.

Freestyle doesn't allow the export of profiles, however if there is interest, I may be able to find a way to share this. The shots are in 1080p (Res. scaling 150%) coming straight out of the sim. These screens also feature 8K shadow maps (as opposed to stock 2K), link is in my signature.

Microsoft%20Flight%20Simulator%20Screens

Edited by Colonel X
  • Like 11

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

Wow! These are looking good. I didn't know anything about this so thanks for posting, and I shall experiment with this for sure. And I just spotted your links in your sig so I shall be off there as well - much appreciated.

• Like 1

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

1 hour ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Do you run with HDR on? 

No, my OLED display doesn't have HDR. I have no option to select it within MSFS.

• Like 1

-

Here are a few quick comparison shots.

Off

On

Off

On

Off

On

Off

On

• Like 5

-

You dont need freestyle for this. You can also directly download Reshade with the necessary shaders and play around with it in the sim.

6 minutes ago, Vlooi said:

You dont need freestyle for this. You can also directly download Reshade with the necessary shaders and play around with it in the sim.

Only on the Steam version. And it's less convenient, especially the installation.

-

Hmm, I am unable to get Freestyle to work in MSFS as I get a message that a "supported game is required".  I have the Steam version, could that be the issue??

Edited by Flic1

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

34 minutes ago, Flic1 said:

Hmm, I am unable to get Freestyle to work in MSFS as I get a message that a "supported game is required".  I have the Steam version, could that be the issue??

I don't have the Steam version so I can't test it, but Steam buyers can use the original Reshade, it has the same shaders. 

-

12 minutes ago, Colonel X said:

I don't have the Steam version so I can't test it, but Steam buyers can use the original Reshade, it has the same shaders. 

Thanks..it actually worked after I rebooted the sim!  Testing it out now...thanks for the suggestion!

• Like 1

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

My profile was deleted (again) because of NVIDIA's hash check fail error. Will rebuild and post after the next update 3 is out.

-

On 9/21/2020 at 10:04 AM, Colonel X said:

I'm done dialing in my custom NVIDIA Freestyle profile, using selected Reshade shaders including Ambient Light and Bloom to simulate a Raytracing effect and finetune the final image of the simulator for a more natural yet cinematic look. It works flawlessly, improves upon MSFS'S vibrant atmosphere and has no performance impact. The "color bleeding" and amplification of the light enhances the cockpit

Just started playing with this just whats offered from basic program - pretty cool stuff can get night to look way better - going to try out your ideas - thanks for sharing really neat stuff

• Like 1

Rich Sennett