Sign in to follow this  
raptor1

Fisheye lens views when using outside camera.

When using the outside following views in flight the world looks distorted like looking through a fisheye lens.

Is there a setting to eliminate this so everything looks more realistic?

Thanks

21 minutes ago, Steku said:

Zoom in 

Beat me to it 😊 This is just how cameras work! In FSX you could also set the chase distance, so presumably that's available in MSFS too.

Edited by MarkDH

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

1 hour ago, Steku said:

Zoom in 

Indeed. There are a series of three YouTube Videos on zooming for FSX/P3D which give some formula for calculating the most natural (close to real life) zoom setting. If you have WideView active, the most natural setting is always close to 1. It is free of the fisheye-effect and close to the view a real-world pilot would have in the same position.

I compared this zoom setting in P3D to the corresponding view in MSFS (made screenshots for that purpose on the exact same point on RWY 28R of KSFO). The result was a zoom setting of 0.8 in MSFS. Default in MSFS is 0.5, keep in mind the numbers are different from their P3D counterparts. This setting is indeed free of fisheye effect on my 3440x1440 monitor being prone to it.

Unfortunately, I found a loophole: Choosing such a high setting causes loading of autogen and even more photogrammetry to be late which remarkably deteriorates visuals. 

More detail is on the MS alpha forum (if this is accessible yet). I leave it to you to find a compromise. Lens correction which I have on doesn't do too much for me.

As a sidenote, MSFS has a WideViewAspect setting in FlightSimulator.CFG as well, however there's no checkbox in the GUI and if you set it to 1 it's reset to 0 upon every restart.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Speaking of zoom in/out, anyone found the speed of zoom in/out in cockpit is way too fast? Almost impossible to make fine adjustment on zoom levels. 

I mapped zoom keys on my HOTAS buttons, but I guess that shouldn't make any differences. 

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11