Sign in to follow this  
Concorde79

TBM930 fuel consumption

Today I did a flight on the TBM930 from Attu to Hokkaido Island. The FS2020 flight planner said that the range should be well enough with a full tank of fuel and even past Hokkaido. Yet I had not even made 80% of the flight I was almost out of fuel. I flew at FL310 so I had to mid-air refuel to make it to Hokkaido. Is the consumption higher in the sim than what the flightplanner range circle say or is it bugged ? The trip was about 1300nm in total and I was only able to make about 1000nm in full tank.

That's interesting. I found TBM fuel consumption to be pretty much spot on what I had calculated on a 495 NM flight but haven't done anything longer than that. I was at FL310 going a bit over 250 Kts, which is a fairly economical configuration. I've never flown an actual TBM and am not a pilot, so it's possible I'm completely wrong. 🙃

Edited by Hyperfocal

Did you check your fuel before you left? It always loads me in with 50% fuel and I have to fuel it up to whatever I need.

What were your power settings in cruise? The range provided by the sim assumes you are configured for long-range cruise, which usually means setting TRQ to 40-50%. Also, the performance of the 930 in game does not match real-life specifications (which I assume is how the in-game flight planner calculates range). If you consult the 930's POH, you will find that the in-game version burns more fuel than expected when setting long-range cruise power (about 15-20% more) but less fuel at recommended and max cruise power (about 10% less).

Also, winds aloft. If they were different than what you planned for, that can make a huge difference over that type of distance. 

• Like 1

It's the same with the Longitude - the fuel range is grossly over estimated. When I first ran out of fuel I thought this must be a bug but then I re-flew the leg on unlimited without incident.

Mike Beckwith

as a side note, would be cool to find some TGM liveries, there could be an issue doings this plane as there is a noticeable absence.

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

The best thing I've found (for now) is to take careful notes on fuel consumption on a 'standard day' (I usually do Clear Day at KMHV at noon) in cruise configuration, and do your own math on range.

LittleNavMap has a handy feature where it will aggregate average values over the climb, cruise, and descent portions of the flight plan, which you can then use later on for future flight planning.

The values in the World Map in MSFS are totally wrong for a lot of aircraft right now.  The G58 for example can get way more range than quoted, the DA40NG is way less.  (I'm most of the way through testing every piston aircraft in the game.)

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals