Sign in to follow this  
iFlySimX

Locked Frames?

Hello everyone! I am getting really good performance with GA planes currently at 1440p and with high end settings. I range from 65 to 80 FPS. With that said, do you think that it makes sense to lock my frame to 60 so I can maybe try going with higher graphic settings? I am fine if I can get around 50-60fps. If so, I've try to lock the frame from FS and that doesn't seem to work. Should I do it in the NVIDIA control panel? 

Thanks! Clem. 

YouTube | Facebook | Discord

34" Odyssey OLED G8 175Hz | 3440X1440 | i9-9900K O/C 5.0 GHz | ASUS ROG Strix RTX 3080 OC Edition | 32GB DDR 4 - 3200MHz | Asus Rog Strix Z390-E Gaming | Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe | Kaken X62 Cpu Cooler | NZXT H510 Elite Case

3 minutes ago, Le Français said:

Hello everyone! I am getting really good performance with GA planes currently at 1440p and with high end settings. I range from 65 to 80 FPS. With that said, do you think that it makes sense to lock my frame to 60 so I can maybe try going with higher graphic settings? I am fine if I can get around 50-60fps. If so, I've try to lock the frame from FS and that doesn't seem to work. Should I do it in the NVIDIA control panel? 

Thanks! Clem. 

Use RTSS to lock it, has less input lag. And sorts the frame Time out too. 

I got em locked at 60 and MSFS is running smooth AF.

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

1 minute ago, ThomseN_inc said:

I got em locked at 60 and MSFS is running smooth AF.

Thanks but how do you lock them? internal or external?

34" Odyssey OLED G8 175Hz | 3440X1440 | i9-9900K O/C 5.0 GHz | ASUS ROG Strix RTX 3080 OC Edition | 32GB DDR 4 - 3200MHz | Asus Rog Strix Z390-E Gaming | Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe | Kaken X62 Cpu Cooler | NZXT H510 Elite Case

1 hour ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Use RTSS to lock it, has less input lag. And sorts the frame Time out too. 

I try this yesterday, I could not see any difference at all except that my GPU usage was 10% lower, from high 90's to high 80's, I wonder if not locking fps at a lower speed than the card can handle means that you force the cpu to load more instead?

Personally I saw no major difference in my cpu usage, I still have a couple of core's that have short peaks at 100% regardless of whether I lock fps or not, but there is nothing that I notice in the game, it runs smooth and without any micro stutter at all, so I will continue to allow my GPU to work freely, btw, I use G-Sync + V-Sync in Nvidia panel.

PS! Sorry for my bad English.

• Like 1

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

2 minutes ago, Le Français said:

Thanks but how do you lock them? internal or external?

I set my Monitor to 60hz when playing MSFS and have VSYNC on ingame (you can set it to 60FPS there too). Works flawless (for me)!

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

1 minute ago, Ixoye said:

I try this yesterday, I could not see any difference at all except that my GPU usage was 10% lower, from high 90's to high 80's, I wonder if not locking fps at a lower speed than the card can handle means that you force the cpu to load more instead?

Personally I saw no major difference in my cpu usage, I still have a couple of core's that have short peaks at 100% regardless of whether I lock fps or not, but there is nothing that I notice in the game, it runs smooth and without any micro stutter at all, so I will continue to allow my GPU to work freely, btw, I use G-Sync + V-Sync in Nvidia panel.

My main concern in my 1080TI. My CPU is fine but my GPU is always running at 100% so I wanted to try to reduce a bit of stress by locking to 60FPS. Thoughts?

19 minutes ago, Le Français said:

My main concern in my 1080TI. My CPU is fine but my GPU is always running at 100% so I wanted to try to reduce a bit of stress by locking to 60FPS. Thoughts?

Locking the fps lower than what your GPU can handle means that you load the card less, ie, you do not use its full potential, your card should run at 100%, what I understand is the reason for locking fps to match fps with the monitor's refresh rate to avoid tearing and micro stutter, but personally I use G-Sync, and it seems to work properly even though my monitor is not G-Sync certified.

Edited by Ixoye
  • Like 1

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

22 minutes ago, Ixoye said:

I too use g-sync, but I found in heavily populated areas, that it helped. But yes outside of these areas there was no difference. That is with LOD between 175-200. 

5 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

I too use g-sync, but I found in heavily populated areas, that it helped. But yes outside of these areas there was no difference. That is with LOD between 175-200. 

I think you gain more by lowering Lod to 100, especially in heavily populated areas, I think an RTX 3090 is required to run Lod slider at max.

38 minutes ago, Le Français said:

Don't do it!

The GPU should be pegged at 100% - it's what it's been designed to do and designed to run at.

You're getting your money's worth from it.

You're in the sweet zone if your GPU is at 100% and CPU at anywhere between 45-65%

Edited by Will Fly For Cheese
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ixoye said:

I think you gain more by lowering Lod to 100, especially in heavily populated areas, I think an RTX 3090 is required to run Lod slider at max.

I believe its CPU limited, so a 3090 wont really make much difference...That is what I seems to have found out though. PS the sim looks terrible with anything below 200 imo. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Will Fly For Cheese said:

Don't do it!

The GPU should be pegged at 100% - it's what it's been designed to do and designed to run at.

You're getting your money's worth from it.

You're in the sweet zone if your GPU is at 100% and CPU at anywhere between 45-65%

Got it, thanks! 

My CPU is actually only around 18% to 25% with my GPU running at 100% at 81C.

36 minutes ago, Ixoye said:

Locking the fps lower than what your GPU can handle means that you load the card less, ie, you do not use its full potential, your card should run at 100%, what I understand is the reason for locking fps to match fps with the monitor's refresh rate to avoid tearing and micro stutter, 

This is not the only reason.  Locking FPS gives me a more consistent result.  Large fluxuations in Frame Rates can be detected even if the frame rate dips stay above 30 FPS.  

I prefer image quality over frames, so I am happy at 30FPS and pushing my video quality higher.  

Edited by wthomas33065
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Le Français said:

Got it, thanks! 

My CPU is actually only around 18% to 25% with my GPU running at 100% at 81C.

What CPU have you got?

Edited by Will Fly For Cheese