Sign in to follow this  
Age_27

A320 FMC Arrival Issues

Hey giuys hoping someone can help here

I am one who likes to set the arrival and departure airport via Globe planner but leave the runway choices for both Dept/Arr up to the ATC ie. Direct. However I have a couple of problems with this.

Normally by the time the ATC announces the arrival runway, I quickly re-program the FMC arrival (by going to FPLAN clicking on the arrival Airport then selection Arrival Runway and Transition then inserting into Flight Plan) however almost always it turns the aircraft around and flys me all the way back to previous waypoint before then commencing arrival. 

How can I work around this ? I've tried erasing the waypoint but it either wont erase or gets confused. 

The other problem I have found is that if you clear all the waypoints in the FMC by choosing the destination airport via Direct option in FMC - it then gives NO transitions or approach waypoints and just gives you a single waypoint to the airport ie. does not line you up with the runway.

Anyone else have this problem ? I've looked at various FMC tutorials but none of them address these issues.

I am using the a32nx modfied A320 not sure if that has something to do with the second issue of no Transitions available when erasing the flight plan and choosing Direct, however the first problem of flying you back to previous waypoint has been there since Day 1.. 

Appreciate any suggestions !! 

I am either using Simbrief or the in game world map for my plans and pretty much ignore ATC as I is so broken. The latter normally wants you to be at 18000ft until final approach. I just follow the altitudes dictated by the flight plan which are much closer to reaility. Hopefully ATC will be fixed soon. I hear over the airwaves the AI planes also seem to ignore ATC - many times I hear ATC telling AI planes that they are 16000 feet over the requested flight level.

CJ

1 hour ago, Age_27 said:

almost always it turns the aircraft around and flys me all the way back to previous waypoint before then commencing arrival

This is a known issue/bug. I don‘t know of any workaroud other than programming the approach beforehand.

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

Actually I think I may have found a fix by using the awesome flybywiresim a32nx A320 mod.

Since using this mod when I select an arrival with STAR it seems to re-route immediately to the closest waypoint in that STAR to join the arrival pattern. I did 2 or 3 test flights last night and it seemed to work.

Could just be luck - the release notes for the a32nx make no mention of fixing anything in the MCDU - but eirhter way it's worth a try !! The a32nx is a great improvement over the base A320 regardless. 

1 hour ago, Age_27 said:

Actually I think I may have found a fix by using the awesome flybywiresim a32nx A320 mod.

Which version of the mod are you using? I thought there were only release notes for version .020, which is outdated.

STARs are an issue in MSFS. Here is how Richard Stefan of Navigraph describes the issue:  That means, normally when you plan a flight with SIDs/STARs and IAPs you can use this planned flight 1:1 in the FMC of the addon. But in the worldmap you can´t ie. choose any transition not for SIDs, not for STARs and not for IAPs. But you can do this in the FMC (in some addons).
So, when you plan a flight with only the basic-information (SID, STAR and approach) via the worldmap - all is good. You can use it 1:1 in the addon - means the navdata are coded correctly. So, now try a planned flightplan from the worldmap to change it directly in the FMC. Change only the runway or the approach type - you will see, the result is not same as when you do this via the worldmap planning. And that´s the issue. Planing via the worldmap is correct but when you try to re-plan it directly in the FMC the data are broken - sometimes more, sometimes less.

I am using the current version (28th Sept 2020) downloaded just before but then I found on my latest flight I had the same problem again - choosing an arrival runway with STAR in the FMC just prior to landing it turned the plane around and flew me back to the last waypoint (or wherever the flight plan had been as I started to re-program so it did a complete 360 before eventually putting me on the chose arrival.

So I guess it is just a bug in the FMC as people have been saying.