Sign in to follow this  
Huascar

The Tide of Progress is Unstoppable

Yes, the tide of progress is unstoppable, whether it is software (MSFS) or hardware (GPUs and CPUs). I am confident the while imperfect, MSFS is the start of a first class flight simulation. Hardware will make the experience all the better and the improvement are inevitable in terms of patching the imperfections of the game. All we need to do is be more patient, things will improve. 

• Like 10
  • Upvote 2

You must know something I don't know.

I'm not confident in anything MS/Asobo is doing right now.

Basically a month between updates/patches at present. Crazy long for this big development team everyone speaks of.

Right now this product is nothing more than a video game to view world scenery.

After all the hype has started to settle I hope people realize XP & p3D are better choices at present for a flight simulator. For game playing this product gets the job done!

Some day it may be a first class simulation but it has a very long time to go while other companies work on what they have. I believe they will improve along the same timeline that it will take to fix this rushed product.

No praise from here and no adulation for this game in any aspect.

• Like 11
  • Upvote 6

14 minutes ago, tpete61 said:

Basically a month between updates/patches at present. Crazy long for this big development team everyone speaks of.

I know something you don't seem to know.

One month and 4 days since it came out, and we already had two updates.

• Like 26
  • Upvote 6

You will always get polarised views, but I think calling it a 'game to view world scenery' is well wide of the mark. 

If you see how many people are having a great time with this on youtube, you will see that they are very happy to have it, even in it's current state. 

Of course, there are always the die-hard simmers for whom this sim is unacceptable in its current state (5 weeks after launch 🙄), and I am just as happy as they are for them to go back to P3D or Xplane, which I also have, but I don't keep calling them just 'button pressing procedural' simulators, or 'accurate prop wash' simulators, but without decent scenery.

Edited by bobcat999
Spelling
  • Like 15
  • Upvote 3

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

32 minutes ago, tpete61 said:

After all the hype has started to settle I hope people realize XP & p3D are better choices at present for a flight simulator. 

Why do you hope for this? Hell, why do you cate if people realize these things about p3d and xplane? Are you an invester for Lockheed Martin and laminar research? Do you want as many people as possible not to buy and use the new simulator so the new simulator eventually falls to the way side?

Your statement makes absolutely no sense.

• Like 18
  • Upvote 3

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

I personally am taking a wait and see perspective on MSFS. Keeping track of the bug reports, watching the videos, etc. 

With my heavy time investment in hardware, programming, and library for P3D, there is no pressure for me to migrate to another sim without the features or the aircraft I really want.

Too soon for me to pass judgement on MSFS as a destination. Not near enough 3rd party developers have released products.

Edited by yurei
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, tpete61 said:

I'm not confident in anything MS/Asobo is doing right now.

Right now this product is nothing more than a video game to view world scenery.

After all the hype has started to settle I hope people realize XP & p3D are better choices at present for a flight simulator. For game playing this product gets the job done!

Some day it may be a first class simulation but it has a very long time to go while other companies work on what they have. I believe they will improve along the same timeline that it will take to fix this rushed product.

No praise from here and no adulation for this game in any aspect.

Update rumoured for tomorrow. Along with the two already released. Plus clues to suggest that they are incrementally updating the world (such as the recently sighted power pylons).

It's unfortunate you can't bring yourself to enjoy the sim but I'm afraid to inform you that many of us do enjoy it.

• Like 25
  • Upvote 2

Currently circumnavigating the world in a mix of Cessna and Piper aircraft. 

My Default Setup; MSFS, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster Hotas X, TrackIR, Samsung Galaxy Tab, JustFlight Piper Arrow. Simworks Quest Kodiak 100. 

Wishlist; Honeycomb Bravo, Honeycomb Charlie.

1:400 Airline Model Collector.

23 minutes ago, StoneDoor said:

I know something you don't seem to know.

One month and 4 days since it came out, and we already had two updates.

Two updates that broke more things than were fixed.

Pretty sad for all the hype of the size of these companies and there supposed large development team.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ahsmatt7 said:

Why do you hope for this? Hell, why do you cate if people realize these things about p3d and xplane? Are you an invester for Lockheed Martin and laminar research? Do you want as many people as possible not to buy and use the new simulator so the new simulator eventually falls to the way side?

Your statement makes absolutely no sense.

Right now other than eye candy these other products I speak of work much more reliably then MSFS2020. I wouldn't be posting here if I wasn't interested in the "new" game.

I have been using this game since very early in the Alpha. I have seen the progress. It has been painfully slow. So many of the bugs and issues have been around for a very long time.

I have no vested interest in any of these companies, frankly could care less who succeeds and who doesn't. This new game might be short lived like other attempts Microsoft has made. No one really knows. I'm not one to speculate what the future holds. Right now the product is nothing more than a game.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, tpete61 said:

I believe they will improve along the same timeline that it will take to fix this rushed product.

If the past 13 years are any indication, I don't think so. They will keep improving for sure, but Asobo's pacing appears to be much faster.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, wainwj said:

Update rumoured for tomorrow. Along with the two already released. Plus clues to suggest that they are incrementally updating the world (such as the recently sighted power pylons).

It's unfortunate you can't bring yourself to enjoy the sim but I'm afraid to inform you that many of us do enjoy it.

Yes, 2 updates of which the last has broken more than it fixed....🧐

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

5 minutes ago, GSalden said:

So I hear, but have not witnessed.

• Like 10

Currently circumnavigating the world in a mix of Cessna and Piper aircraft. 

My Default Setup; MSFS, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster Hotas X, TrackIR, Samsung Galaxy Tab, JustFlight Piper Arrow. Simworks Quest Kodiak 100. 

Wishlist; Honeycomb Bravo, Honeycomb Charlie.

1:400 Airline Model Collector.

10 minutes ago, GSalden said:

... for you and some other.

For me and some other ones it improved more than what it broke ...

• Like 10
  • Upvote 3

Marco Manieri

Perugia - Italy

169055.png

19 minutes ago, tpete61 said:

I have been using this game since very early in the Alpha. I have seen the progress. It has been painfully slow. So many of the bugs and issues have been around for a very long time.

Given your long history with Flight Sim, then you are well aware that FSX received precisely two service pack updates for it's entire release cycle.  Three if you count the acceleration pack "add-on" which I don't because it was an optional add-on and only pre-packaged the previous two service packs.

Your ignorance in Software development is only matched by your impatience.  Not to mention you fail to take into account that much of the last year has been under quarantine conditions when the development team has not been able to get together.  This especially affects QA as bug replication requires access to multiple computers with multiple hardware configurations

But what really puzzles me, is why, you, being happy with P3D and XP11 feel the need to troll a MSFS 2020 forum simply to dump on someone who happens to appreciate the product.   Even with its bugs and inconsistencies, I have not found a product that captures the feeling of flight better than MSFS 2020.  And yes, that is due in large part to the "eye candy" you speak of.  Funny how out the window view, which is crucial for suspension of disbelief and VFR flight is simply relegated to "eye candy" because it doesn't line up with your rant.  Is it perfect?  No.  But neither is Skyrim, and I can't seem to stop playing that either.

Bottom Line:  Feel free to enjoy P3D and XP11, and I'll give you my solemn promise that I won't camp out in P3D and XP11 forums dumping on that product and hyping MSFS 2020 like some 10 year old Xbox vs Playstation fanboi.

Edited by wthomas33065
  • Like 16
  • Upvote 4

19 minutes ago, tpete61 said:

I have no vested interest in any of these companies, frankly could care less who succeeds and who doesn't. This new game might be short lived like other attempts Microsoft has made. No one really knows. I'm not one to speculate what the future holds. Right now the product is nothing more than a game

Here's a thought. Every single simulator out there is actually 'just a game.' As for all these bugs and issues. I have been playing since the alpha and have encountered very few issues and bugs. Yes some of the flight dynamics may not be perfect, yes some of the aircraft could do with a little bit more TLC in the cockpit, and yes ATC etc could do with modernising. But major issues and bugs? Nadda, not here with me. Most of the problems and negativity tend to come from people without the correct hardware, a vocal minority with bottlenecked PC's and inferior cards. I actually read a post from someone complaining about "how the weather looked!" Not enough aerosols or something! Madness! At the end of the day if you don't like it, go back to any of the other myriad of flight si..games out there and come back later, when MSFS 2020 meets your over priviledged expectations. Of course though, people like yourself will have found something else to complain about by then.

Edited by Scarabrae
  • Like 2