Sign in to follow this  
mtr75

Same weather on the ATIS everywhere

Anybody had this? I'm relatively sure it's been since the new patch. No matter what the actual weather, the ATIS in the sim calls 6SM in heavy rain, few clouds at 1,100, few clouds at 4,500, overcast at 15k or so in heavy rain. There might not be a cloud in the sky. 

The only other potentially salient facts are that I only fly in the Caribbean, and while the clouds, visibility, and precip are always the same, the wind does change, which I find a bit odd. 

• Upvote 2

Worldwide weather?

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Yes the ATIS has never reported correct conditions for me. Visibility is always 3 I think.

Edited by regis9

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Here's my results >> this is in USA only -- prior to patch EXCEPT for winds, I always had accurate live weather (skies, precipt, etc) matched real world.  After the patch and claiming it was fixed, I have yet to have LIVE weather match any current real world conditions. (Usually, I have cloudless skies and light winds 2 - 6 kts)  Oh well...... 🤢

WAT1460.png

I’m not seeing this behavior. 

Did a flight Tampa (KVDF) to Sarasota (KSRQ). Different ATIS and weather matched view outside...

I always start up the sim by right clicking and running as an administrator, maybe something to try?

In my experience after 2nd patch surface winds are off, but wind aloft is close to real life. For example I was shooting approach at KPDX this morning the wind were correct at 1000AGL ft but as soon as defended to the airport it went down from 19 kts to 3 kts (I usually crosscheck with Foreflight)

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

I never tried comparing the sim "live" weather with real weather but i do know every time I try and spawn at Paro in Bhutan it seems to be 8/8 all the way down to ground level and raining 😄

Since sim release I've been flying in the US & Canada. Pre 2nd patch it was not even worth tuning into ATIS as it was wrong on just about everything, reporting Heavy Rain while out the cockpit window clear skys. Always 3 layers of clouds just about all listed as Few, like Few at 400 Few at 4100, Few at 11,200.

Post patch 2 Wind direction and speed seems to be matching(at least it been variable on reporting), even seen some Calm reports. Temperature is right and so is altimeter. But the Sky conditions are still wrong 100% of the time. Dew Point is always 10C, even when temp is say correctly reported at like 3C.

Edit: Oh yeah forgot to mention Visibility post patch 2 seems to sometimes be correct it's not always 3 miles like it was at release. Now I've seen 10 & 14 miles reported as examples.

Edited by Bob_D

It seems the ATIS isn't fully connected to the weather engine. winds on the ATIS don't match actual winds displayed on the PFD. clouds have always been the same generic 3 layers. only the pressure seams to be correct.  Yet another vital feature overlooked by AS. In fairness to AS, they are a game studio and not an aviation software development company, so i can understand their priorities. Am sure they are having to learn alot as they go along.

Edited by Ops Normal

On 9/24/2020 at 6:58 AM, Bob_D said:

Since sim release I've been flying in the US & Canada. Pre 2nd patch it was not even worth tuning into ATIS as it was wrong on just about everything, reporting Heavy Rain while out the cockpit window clear skys. Always 3 layers of clouds just about all listed as Few, like Few at 400 Few at 4100, Few at 11,200.

Post patch 2 Wind direction and speed seems to be matching(at least it been variable on reporting), even seen some Calm reports. Temperature is right and so is altimeter. But the Sky conditions are still wrong 100% of the time. Dew Point is always 10C.

Found this topic because i had a hard time steering the Cesna 152 on the taxiway, windsock was hanging horizontal. Due to this i checked ATIS compared to what i saw in the sim:

ATIS: Wind 179 at 24: Winddirection changes now according to reality, windspeed matches the windgusts in reality, not the average windspeed which should have been 11kts (and this then should not cause the windsock hanging horizontally).

ATIS: Cloudlayers still listed as Few, like Few at 400 Few at 4100, Few at 11,200 (exact same numbers).

ATIS: Temp: changes to reality, dewpoint still stuck at 10°C

ATIS: Airpressure seems correct but once in the air i noticed it will sometimes revert back to the average standard pressure which can cause hugh drop or rises in altitude reading

ATIS: visibilty: seems stuck at 3m, haven't seen anything else yet, even with clear sky's.

• Upvote 1

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base & hegykc MFG Crosswind modded pedals, TrackIR4, no more VR