Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Destination Path Too Long errors in Community Folder

Anyone know why I can't copy certain folders over to my Community folder? I had this problem with certain livery and landmark add-ons. Some work fine and some give me this pop-up. It's very frustrating and I have no idea how to fix it. I have the Windows version of MSFS.

image.png

Edited by captain420

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

The window on the left is how it's suppose to look like. (I extracted it to my desktop without problems), and the one on the right is with it extracted to my community folder. Notice that it's incomplete and cannot extract all the files due to the error.

@JimBrownI've already checked the reg and it's already enabled.

image.png

image.png

Edited by captain420

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

If you extract it to your desktop, can you then just copy or move the extracted folder to your Community folder? I've had a few instances where I was unable to extract directly to community folder but moving from desktop worked just fine.

Vic

• Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Vic, tried that already and still get that pop-up. I found that if I were to just rename the folder after I move/copy/extract it into my community folder, and then copy over the missing files, and then renaming the folder back to its original name, then it works. But I would like to have a permanent solution to this annoying issue.

That is strange. I agree that it's probably some obscure permission error.  Possibly the addon developer has an answer. I guess you could try to take ownership of all files, folders and subfolders and see if that corrects it.

At least you have a workaround so you can use the files. It may take a bit of trial and error over time to resolve.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

How can I take ownership of all files and folders? This is driving me crazy. Lately I have been having a lot of issues with my computer.

51 minutes ago, captain420 said:

How can I take ownership of all files and folders? This is driving me crazy. Lately I have been having a lot of issues with my computer.

This is not a computer issue, but a Microsoft issue, as best I can tell.

They chose to create these complicated folder structures..

Your workaround is the right one.. if you shorten the folder names, it can be made to work..

Bert

I have the same problem. I cured by saying if you make it difficult for me to use your paints, I wont bother. This is brought about by the seemingly never ending W10 denying me access to my computer without a bloody wrestling match! OK, I haven't been beaten yet but it's tiresome.

Ooo. That felt good. 🙂

EDIT: Just tried renaming the folder by getting rid of the long, long string of numbers at the end. Same result.

Incidentally, I don't know if this has been mentioned. At the end of the 'paste' and error message the folder appears in the Community folder but if you drill down to 'airplanes' it's empty!

Another thing. Full permissions on all folders

Edited by Ron Attwood

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Glad to see that this problem isn't just me and it's a microsoft issue. I really wish they would make it easier for us to manage our folders. This is extremely annoying when I have to rename folders just to be able to install addons into the community folder.

It doesn't happen with every addon where I encounter this issue. Just a few.

This problem happens when I download the ALL IN ONE mega livery pack from here - https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1X_ionI2jaKuTAnXJ-bKzKscIBSmnnv4s

I use winrar to extract this file and it gives me that pop up. So I tried using 7zip and it also gives me the same error. What I have to do is to open the ALLINONE.zip file with 7zip, select the folders I want to extract, and then manually hit extract and locate my Community folder. If I do it this way, then I get no errors. It's very strange. I'm not sure who to blame for this problem exactly.

Edited by captain420

I haven't had this happen to me personally (yet) but for the one addon I have installed I was getting worried about it looking at how long the path is in Explorer.

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals