Sign in to follow this  
Guest JSPuonti

Somehow in all my tweaking..........

I managed to lose all trees in my cities. I cannot for the life of me figure out what I did. Any ideas? Yes, I did all those autogen tricks, but do not know which one may be the culprit.

Guest FxF3

You may have to list your tweaks for help. Also you should have made backups for any file you replaced if you did that just replace them.that should do it.

Guest DirtyHarry3033

Not sure, maybe it's this tweak in FSX.cfg [TERRAIN] section?TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=4500TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=3000The lower the number, the less trees/buildings you'll have, respectively. And lowering the autogen slider will reduce them further. Did you by any chance do that tweak and set trees_per_cell to some really low number? If so you might try deleting those lines and see if that gets your trees back. If it does, then restore the lines but use a higher number for trees_per_cell until you get a satisfactory # of trees.DH

Guest JSPuonti

If you renamed default.xml under the Autogen directory instead of editing it to remove all unnecessary autogen items, you'll lose random trees in cities (you'll still have the "city park trees" aka "forests", though).Your options are to bring default.xml back or to find an edited one that does away with trivial stuff like gas stations and whatnot, while keeping the random trees in cities.

Guest koorby

The trees in the cities are not random - they are actually annotated by hand for each city/urban tile. If you don't see them some tweak has caused this, and default.xml is not the culprit.

when I renamed my default.xml I lost all trees in the cityThere is a smaller default.xml vertsion floating about, here somewhere, I use that. It may help

Yup. I changed the default xml back to the original one. No trees in cities. Lots in the country though. The sim runs pretty well, just no trees in the cities. I have backups of all things. I just forgot which one to put back.

Guest tmilton

It is best to introduce tweaks one at a time, and check the sim immediately after to observe and gauge the effect of that particular tweak. If you like what you see, then bring on and add the next tweak.Adding a bunch of tweaks all at once causes confusion as to which tweak had a beneficial effect, and which one didn't, and which one caused the undesired effect.In your case, it seems most likely that it was the tweak that renamed the default.xml file, since this is a well known effect of this tweak. Rename it back to its original name and you will get your urban trees back.You may want to download Matt Fox's edited default.xml file, which keeps the trees, but removes other extra structures, like gas stations, water towers, etc:Look for under the Default.xml mods section:http://www.fox-fam.com/wordpress/?page_id=41

Thanks all! I downloaded another default xml file and all is good. I really like this edition of FS. My meager computer does very well with the modifications. I did do one at a time, but did not notice the trees missing at first. I have been enjoying the sim so much, I forgot to look!