Sign in to follow this  
Dirk98

Anybody's flying with TrackIR?

I pause. At my age and with moy eyesight it's hard enough grabbing those little click handles without TrackIR. With it is next to impossible. So I pause TrackIR, wait about 5-10 seconds for the view to rest, then zoom in with the mouse to do what I need to.

• Like 1

James

20 hours ago, Dirk98 said:

Please share how you handle buttons and rotaries. Do you shut TIR down when you need to tune frequencies etc?

Thanks.

Use your mouse scroll wheel to zoom closer to the button.  It’s pretty simple. I never shut TIR down.

Edited by Dillon

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Like others, I keep TrackIR active and just hold my head as steady as I can.

As for re-centering the view, I use VoiceAttack so that I can simply do it with a voice command (along with a bunch of other commands and functions). 

2 hours ago, Phantoms said:

I pause. At my age and with moy eyesight it's hard enough grabbing those little click handles without TrackIR. With it is next to impossible. So I pause TrackIR, wait about 5-10 seconds for the view to rest, then zoom in with the mouse to do what I need to.

This is what I ended up doing (more or less). I finally just gave up. That's my limitations; not a swipe at  TiR or MFS.

I feel the click-zones are much too small and fiddly. Adding any motion only makes it more difficult to manipulate.

I've been experimenting with using Matric along with my tablet to manipulate things like heading, course and altitude values. It works well, but I'm trying to avoid too much ceremony when it comes time to fly. It's all still new and I'm trying this and that each time out.

• Like 1

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

5 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

Unfortunately when I pause it about 3-5 seconds later the view snaps back.

Ryan,  I have the same problem and I reported it via Zendesk.  They wrote back with a few suggestions, none of which worked, and marked it solved.  I re-opened the ticket and they wrote back saying it has been logged as a bug and escalated.

Have you reported it?

-Jay.

• Like 1

Current Build (02/2024): AMD 7800X3D | Asrock X670E Steel Legend MB | Noctua NH-U12S Chromax | 32gb GSkill Trident Z5 DDR5-6000 CAS 30 | Samsung 990 Pro 2tb NVMe Gen4 (OS) | WD Black 4tb NVMe Gen4 (MSFS) | Corsair RM1000x Shift Series PS | ASUS RTX 4090 Strix ROG | LG 55" C2 Display

Pause it with a key on throttle. I only use it during takeoff and landing. During cruise it’s just as easy to pan around 

23 hours ago, Tektolnes said:

When you open TrackIR software you can see the Hotkey assignments that you can give to Centre and Pause. The default is F9 for Pause and F12 for centre but you can change to whatever you want. Some people then assign those keys to their HOTAS. That being said when it comes to buttons and rotaries - I just don't move my head. You could probably fiddle around with the TrackIR profile settings as well if you're having issues. You could give it a larger deadzone which would allow you to wobble your head a bit more without your view changing in the game.

Tektolnes, I've been with TIR from v1 to v5. I personally asked Naturalpoint to add assignable TIR On / TIR Off functionality instead of just Toggle On/Off sevral times. In every sim that I fly I have a very elaborate system of pannable TIR and HOTAS clickable fixed views. For example in XP11 or P3Dv5 airliners I have more than 50 fixed views under my fingers on HOTAS and only one TIR On/Off. To the extent I don't want to use TIR for airliners. MSFS2020 is so much oriented on a gamepad that I don't understand why they even call it a simulator, lol. I hope they will grow it to simulation one day.  

Thanks.

23 hours ago, Johnny Wyatt said:

It's usually a good idea to read the manual of new products you're getting. If you had read said manual, you would have learned of the mode TrackIR specifically implemented to deal with situations such as that: the Precision Mode. 🙃

1 post, no wonder it's head over heels..

23 hours ago, Ron Attwood said:

I do tend to agree with you though. I look back in awe at my ability to work TrackIR out. Play with it, figure it out!

Agree on what? You should have known better what exactly you agreed on, Ron.

Edited by Dirk98

10 hours ago, RALF9636 said:

I use fsuipc to assign F12 to a joystick button press and F9 to the same button release.

So I need only one button to control TIR: press the button once to switch TIR on and off, press the button twice to reset the center.

I've always asked for the opposite: press On to engage, press Off to disengage in addition to just Toggle On/Off. But that's a long story and a few more simulators.

On 9/25/2020 at 12:38 AM, ShawnG said:

I shut off the canned head motion effects in msfs settings, and I unassigned the zoom control from my mouse wheel.  But I don't freeze TIR to manipulate controls.  works for me.  just keep your head still.

Yes, that works similar to the setting in EZCA.

Thanks.

8 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

I do - the clickspots are a nightmare on the g1000.  If by disable you mean pause track ir of course.  Maybe it's my resolution (1080P).  Unfortunately when I pause it about 3-5 seconds later the view snaps back.

You've nailed it, Ryan. 

Thanks.

5 hours ago, Phantoms said:

I don't really complain about my eyesight, but I very much prefer to handle avionics while my TIR is frozen. Most of my controls in flight simulators (you name any) are hardware panels though.

Thanks,

4 hours ago, Malaromane said:

Like others, I keep TrackIR active and just hold my head as steady as I can.

That is exactly what I hate (as steady as I can) and why I prefer to disengage TIR and use my custom fixed views. ))