Sign in to follow this  
Sterzenbach

Autopilot makes altitude going rapidly up and down

Hi,

when the autopilot of Cessna 172 without glass cockpit is all correctly set and working, suddenly the altitude goes rapidly up and down. I tried already to change the Control Sensitivity but there is no adjustment control anymore. In my former time as real life pilot we said unstable oszillation.

Bernie

P.S. Why does Microsoft make more traditional cockpits. Many Pilots do not like glass cockpits for light aircrafts. In addition, glass cockpits are also not good for training.

8 hours ago, Sterzenbach said:

Hi,

when the autopilot of Cessna 172 without glass cockpit is all correctly set and working, suddenly the altitude goes rapidly up and down. I tried already to change the Control Sensitivity but there is no adjustment control anymore. In my former time as real life pilot we said unstable oszillation.

Bernie

P.S. Why does Microsoft make more traditional cockpits. Many Pilots do not like glass cockpits for light aircrafts. In addition, glass cockpits are also not good for training.

It should be: P.S. Why does Microsoft make not more traditional cockpits.

3 minutes ago, spatz16548 said:

I have observed the same problem. I think this is a bug. I do not have this problem with Aerofly FS2.

My guess is the problem may related to elevator sensitivity. But since shortly there is not a possiblity to change Sensitivity in the control page and  I do not know how to change that inside program configuration.

9 hours ago, Sterzenbach said:

Hi,

Bernie

Question of interest for me.  Had you done anything at all with the autopilot, including any pre-selections, even when on the ground before flight?  By Pre-selections I refer to desired altitude, vertical speed setting, AP on/off, etc. Question is not were you using the autopilot at the time.  Question is if you had done anything with it during that session?

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

2 hours ago, Sterzenbach said:

It should be: P.S. Why does Microsoft make not more traditional cockpits.

If you're going to jump on his grammar, it should be:

Why does Microsoft not make more traditional cockpits.

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

14 hours ago, fppilot said:

Question of interest for me.  Had you done anything at all with the autopilot, including any pre-selections, even when on the ground before flight?  By Pre-selections I refer to desired altitude, vertical speed setting, AP on/off, etc. Question is not were you using the autopilot at the time.  Question is if you had done anything with it during that session?

Yes, all correctly set. During session flightlevel change was made, but that should not the reason fore the erratic unstable vertical speed. Further information: When vertical climbspeed was selected extremely low (e.g. not more as 200 ft/min) it was stable.

Yes, all correctly set. During session flightlevel change was made, but that should not the reason fore the erratic unstable vertical speed. Further information: When vertical climbspeed was selected extremely low (e.g. not more as 200 ft/min) it was stable.

Had you done anything at all with the autopilot, including any pre-selections, even when on the ground before flight? 

Guess I should have asked If you had done anything at all with the autopilot "while" on the ground before flight.  Not "even while" on the ground.   I believe erratic behavior I have experienced in the 172 and DA62 occurred in instances where I preselected in the AP while on the ground, before taking off.  I have not had erratic behavior while using the AP only after takeoff. 

That said, other erratic behavior I have had in flight was prior to learning about the use of the pause key.  I no longer use the pause key.  I have assigned keys to the separate Pause On and Pause Off functions, or I use the Esc key.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

25 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Guess I should have asked If you had done anything at all with the autopilot "while" on the ground before flight.  Not "even while" on the ground.   I believe erratic behavior I have experienced in the 172 and DA62 occurred in instances where I preselected in the AP while on the ground, before taking off.  I have not had erratic behavior while using the AP only after takeoff. 

That said, other erratic behavior I have had in flight was prior to learning about the use of the pause key.  I no longer use the pause key.  I have assigned keys to the separate Pause On and Pause Off functions, or I use the Esc key.

Meanwhile I am sure it is a bug. I tried with success change elevator_effectiveness = 1 to elevator_effectiveness = 0.1 at

c:\Users\????\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Official\OneStore\asobo-aircraft-generic-piston-singleengine\SimObjects\Airplanes\Asobo_Generic_Piston_SingleEngine\

13 minutes ago, Sterzenbach said:

Meanwhile I am sure it is a bug. I tried with success change elevator_effectiveness = 1 to elevator_effectiveness = 0.1 at

c:\Users\????\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Official\OneStore\asobo-aircraft-generic-piston-singleengine\SimObjects\Airplanes\Asobo_Generic_Piston_SingleEngine\

I tried that on the CJ4 and I couldn’t get the airplane to rotate....

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

Just tried a flight with Carenado 182. Altitude hold on the A/P was extremely frustrating. I thought I was flying a porpoise the way the VS kept going way up and then down. I assume Carenado is using the MSFS A/P which, from all the postings I see here, is not ready for prime time. Ready to go back to X-Plane until MS gets their act together. Its like buying a new car but the brakes still have not been fully developed. 😣 Just venting!

22 hours ago, topcat_1952 said:

Just tried a flight with Carenado 182. Altitude hold on the A/P was extremely frustrating. I thought I was flying a porpoise the way the VS kept going way up and then down. I assume Carenado is using the MSFS A/P which, from all the postings I see here, is not ready for prime time. Ready to go back to X-Plane until MS gets their act together. Its like buying a new car but the brakes still have not been fully developed. 😣 Just venting!

The oscillating effect (jo jo of vertical speed) of the c172 is not away after last major update. Is there nobody in the internet who is able to adjust the flight mechanic better as the developers at Microsoft? I tried with no real success.

Bernie Sterzenbach