Sign in to follow this  
Jammin16

I would make liveries...

Hey there everyone,

I have make an old topic about how I can make liveries for P3D v4.5. And many people saied photoshop is the best paint program, and yes it's perfekt but to pay on time in the month is too much for me, so I search og google an find an other paint program Affinity photo. And when I get to downloade PMDG paint kit stood there you can use photoshop, and Affinity. Great but my question is, and I use Affinity to pain on Aerosoft A3xx (A318 to A330), Aerosoft CRJ, QW146, QW787 and Majestic Software Dash 8-Q400 paint kits??? 

Best regards

Jammin16

Providing Affinity Photo can handle the .dds file format and multiple layers I see no reason why that application can not be used for other vendors paint kits.

For me I use Corel PSP and have been able to use that application for a variety of different paint kits.

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

47 minutes ago, aldridgem said:

Providing Affinity Photo can handle the .dds file format and multiple layers I see no reason why that application can not be used for other vendors paint kits.

For me I use Corel PSP and have been able to use that application for a variety of different paint kits.

@aldridgem
Okay thanks for your repley, I was not sure about that... but I can undstand I sound wried if I not would could use all Paint kit  for Affinity.

Jammin16

Try this. Almost as good as Photoshop in most way (and in one or two respects better), can handle all the image formats commonly used in flight sim paint kits and it is free:

https://www.getpaint.net/

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Okay okay, I can see there is some different opinions on what I should use of program to make liveries. I can tell you @Chock & @yurei Affinity photo works fine, and I have tried to make a SAS A330 livery and got a good result out of the red engine that SAS has / had. 

But the rest of the plane I don't know why I got a sloppy result. I don't know what I did right with the engines or what I did wrong out of the rest of the plane but look at pictures so you can see what they should look like and how it came about to look. The last pictures are just something a newborn painter we could "love" !!!

SAS.png?width=1014&height=677

My_SAS.png

I am not familiar with Affinity, so please forgive my ignorance in that regard.

Regards comparing GIMP and Paint.net, for me, GIMP is very PhotoShop-like. The interface and language are modern.  Paint.net has a legacy interface and the terminology used in the menus is a bit dated.

Processing of large files in GIMP seems more stable than in Paint.net.

The one advantage, from my perspective, of Paint.net is the ability to do complex curves. This capability is a very limited in GIMP.

Not sure there is one "right" way. Re-painting is a patience testing activity. It is very important to completely know your tool (Affinity, GIMP, Paint.net, etc) and to develop a repeatable, organized process.

PS, regards your last screenshot, there could be a couple of things not right with the textures that appear black.

They could be the wrong size or compression. Something simple like the name of the texture being mis-spelled could also cause the texture to appear black.

Edited by yurei

Looking at the second photo above (particularly the vertical stabilizer in the second photo), it looks as though the bmp was not flipped prior to converting to a dds file.

Personally, I use Photoshop Pro (a one time purchase software) to create my paints and DXTBmp (a freeware program) to create my dds files.

You can use any freeware software to create your repaints...I'd still recommend DXTBmp to invert and insert (custom) alpha files to create your dds files.

BTW, there is a dedicated forum here at AVSIM to help you with your repainting technique.

Rob

Edited by rmeier
  • Like 1

Okay, jeg bruger Affinity og det fungerer fint.

@yurei "PS, regards your last screenshot, there could be a couple of things not right with the textures that appear black.

They could be the wrong size or compression. Something simple like the name of the texture being mis-spelled could also cause the texture to appear black".

Okay I would takle a look on it, and use more time and not 2 days.

@rmeier "Looking at the second photo above (particularly the vertical stabilizer in the second photo), it looks as though the bmp was not flipped prior to converting to a dds file". 

Okay, so I'm need to flip the "pictures"??? I use also  DXTBmp 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jammin16 said:

"Looking at the second photo above (particularly the vertical stabilizer in the second photo), it looks as though the bmp was not flipped prior to converting to a dds file". 

Okay, so I'm need to flip the "pictures"??? I use also  DXTBmp 

Seeing as you are using the paint kit supplied by Aerosoft (rather than editing existing dds files), yes, you will need to flip your bmp prior to creating the dds file.

DXTBmp makes this very simple...drop your repaint into the DXTBmp program. On the toolbar there should be an option...if I recall correctly, it's "Image", "Flip". Then create your dds file (depending on how you are managing your alpha layer).

Rob

14 hours ago, rmeier said:

Seeing as you are using the paint kit supplied by Aerosoft (rather than editing existing dds files), yes, you will need to flip your bmp prior to creating the dds file.

DXTBmp makes this very simple...drop your repaint into the DXTBmp program. On the toolbar there should be an option...if I recall correctly, it's "Image", "Flip". Then create your dds file (depending on how you are managing your alpha layer).

Rob

@rmeier Okay thanks, I would try that

@rmeier & @yurei

Hi again,

I have a questien I have seen there are some paint kits there have a green "screen" and a gray "screen" is this also a paintkit I'm need to use???

Best regards

Jammin16

The green and gray screens are specific to PBR aircraft models.

Most of the time, these files won't have to be edited...the vendor would've put generic files into the main texture folder. Looking at your SAS repaint, there aren't any special metallic files to have to edit.

1 hour ago, rmeier said:

The green and gray screens are specific to PBR aircraft models.

Most of the time, these files won't have to be edited...the vendor would've put generic files into the main texture folder. Looking at your SAS repaint, there aren't any special metallic files to have to edit.

Okay thank, I was just need to hear about what it is.

I still don't know what I did wrong about this paint project, I can't still make liveries I have paint on the paitkit and save and export the file as tga file and get to DXTBmp loade the tga file and click on Image, Flip, and save as dds fil. Are there a step I have missing???

Flight sim P3D v4.5

Jammin16

Edited by Jammin16

Aynone can make legacy LAN Chile and Ukraine International liveries for iFly 737NG Advanced, installed with P3Dv5.3?

Patricio Valdes

Patricio Valdes